Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

Patty 04-16-2014 08:44 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny

Quite the nose for seeking out trouble doesn't he? :D

Monsters Momma 04-16-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty (Post 128189)
Quite the nose for seeking out trouble doesn't he? :D

Hence his nickname, Patty! ;)

k9diabetes 04-16-2014 11:43 AM

Vinny had a nice day! A little pre-Easter chocolate indulgence. ;)

I started keeping my log in Excel shortly after Chris was diagnosed. Every now and then I go back through it. Can tell you what his meals, insulin doses, and blood sugar were every day for four years. 8) Not sure if that makes me a crazy dog lady... probably does.

Natalie

Monsters Momma 04-16-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9diabetes (Post 128199)
Vinny had a nice day! A little pre-Easter chocolate indulgence. ;)

I started keeping my log in Excel shortly after Chris was diagnosed. Every now and then I go back through it. Can tell you what his meals, insulin doses, and blood sugar were every day for four years. 8) Not sure if that makes me a crazy dog lady... probably does.

Natalie

Yes, yes it does! ;)

Ok Natalie...I don't think I'll ever get that...anal! LOL But I certainly do need to keep better records! Just trying to recreate the last 10 months have been proving this point to me!!

Monsters Momma 04-21-2014 12:05 PM

Ok, so I'm an idiot. :o

Friday, I got up as usual to feed Vinny and give him his insulin. I thought it might be a good day to do a curve, so I tested him before feeding him. He was at 109. Wow! I've not seen a number that low in awhile...a long while! So, me being the blond that I am thought "Ok, he's going to go up like he usually does, so I still should be able to give him his normal dose." :cool: NOPE. I was thinking about it again, after some coffee and waking up for an hour and thought I better test him...52! :eek: Gave him some Karo and a biscuit. Thankfully, that was as low as I know it got!

What an idiot. :o

Judi 04-21-2014 01:40 PM

not an idiot at all! good catch.

I have to tell myself that however many units is what got her to her good level and to stay the course. so, it just depends on the dog and the dose.

I bet Vinny felt good!

jesse girl 04-21-2014 02:03 PM

i would have done the same thing .

jesse normally rises and the lower she is the bigger the rise but on those rare occasion something happens on this diabetic adventure and the opposite occurs .

the dilemma with this its rare so do you reduce the dose at this level every time you see it ? thats the question many times we have a sixth sense about these things especially when something odd has occurred .

it sounds like you did think something might be up .

we want our pups to have good numbers and to be consistent in what we are doing but that can be difficult with this disease being unpredictable.

if you have a crystal ball that works then that would be a different story . our enemies can be complacency and not listening to that inner voice but with such busy lives full of distractions its hard to give our complete undivided attention to this . you would have to be more than human .

someone is definitely helping us though this

amydunn19 04-21-2014 07:36 PM

I have done the same thing. It always makes sense at the time then you wake up and realize how big a mistake you might have just made. Luckily, they survive us and our missteps.

Monsters Momma 04-27-2014 04:13 AM

So I left a vial of Vetsulin out over night...do I need to throw it away?:o

jesse girl 04-27-2014 09:28 AM

no problems mel

should be ok unless you put it in the oven by mistake

i have done weird things in my life where things of mine ended up in some really strange places