Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

SidneyDog 04-27-2014 03:46 PM

Re: My Monster Vinny

If you have an iPhone, I downloaded a free app from healthy cloud and it's a blood sugar log that does it's only little graph and you can export it into a word or excel document.

Cpaura 04-27-2014 06:35 PM

I read that it only goes bad if it gets hot. So room temp I am sure is fine. Also, when i first picked up Miley's insulin I asked if I needed to Refrigerate and Pharmacist said it is just so it last longer.

amydunn19 04-27-2014 07:11 PM

A girl who worked for me is a type 1 diabetic. She used to keep her insulin in her car during the spring and summer. It always worked fine for her but I would never try it.

Linda1 04-28-2014 03:30 AM

My daughter has a pump and she will work outside and sit by the pool in the hot sun for hours and the insulin has been fine. I'm sure it doesn't help the life span of the insulin.

Monsters Momma 04-28-2014 04:54 AM

Thanks all! I think I'll feel fine using it now with all your input! Afterall, it certainly doesn't last us very long with 22 units per dose!

Monsters Momma 05-05-2014 10:25 AM

So, I tried to do a curve on Saturday and the first two numbers were ok. Then Vinny and Bogey were outside for an extended period, since John was out, and after playing really hard, he dropped 150 points! Luckily he started out close to 300, but I knew everything was skewed then. :rolleyes: A few hours later, he was again playing pretty hard, and John brought him in saying he thought something was wrong. I tested him and he was at 32!! :eek: That is officially his lowest number ever!!

So, Sunday, I ran a curve (I did not let him play like Saturday :rolleyes:). His numbers were great (mostly in the 100's), all within 100 points until the last fasting and that was about 150 point spread from lowest to highest. My question is, since we had to intervene on Saturday, are these numbers accurate? Assuming they are accurate, I think we're at Vinny's optimal dose even though he does have numbers in the 200's most of the time with an occasional 300 thrown in for good measure. I don't want those numbers in the 100's going that low again.

What do you think?

jesse girl 05-05-2014 10:43 AM

thats great mel

you worked so hard to get him regulated

spontaneous play can be a problem as you can see . you may want to give something like a milk bone smeared in honey before you let him out to play and may have to cut him off after a certain amount of time . jesse usually gets a half hour boost with a teaspoon of honey .

i think i would give a thumbs up on the curve and accept it as accurate under normal circumstances .

great job from where vinny was just a short time ago

remember dogs can have a normal life but there are limitations as you can see this is where testing can be so helpful

Judi 05-05-2014 10:44 AM

I think someone gets a treat before playtime now! And you can plan for play time either with treats or a smaller dose that morning.

sounds great! :)

Cpaura 05-06-2014 10:36 AM

How is Vinny feeling? What did you do to bring his numbers up?

jayi 05-06-2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 109350)
Patty, Vinny was eating Purina One Beyond...Bogey, our younger dog is still eating this. Don't think that isn't causing any confusion! :( Vinny is supposed to be tested at the midpoint between feedings/shots, no curve has been mentioned to my knowledge...I will be asking! In the meantime, I'll be getting a meter today and using jesse girl's ideas from another thread to get him used to it. By the next weekend, I want to be able to do my own curve just to see where he is.

My biggest worry right now is food...as I suppose some of you have guessed! ;) Being the stupid humans we are and the resourceful dog Vinny has become, he keeps getting into things he never would have before. Helping himself to food on the counter or in the pantry (dog food kept in here), cleaning out the cat food (behind two gates) or tearing open a bag of cat food (left alone for 15 minutes!), and getting into the trash. We really do have to change the way we do things around here and each time we 'fix' one thing, he gets into another! :eek: I know this has to be bad for him, but I guess I really don't know how bad; or better yet, what it can cause?

I'll be calling the vet today about snacks we can give him...instead of the pizza and chicken bones he's been helping himself to.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and input!

I shouldn't grin giggle but I can see this dog doing this.