Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

Monsters Momma 05-06-2014 11:13 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpaura (Post 129176)
How is Vinny feeling? What did you do to bring his numbers up?

On Saturday, I smeared Karo on his gums right away and gave him a dog biscuit. A half an hour later, he was at 104. He acted like it was nothing! :cool:

Thanks for asking!

Monsters Momma 05-06-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayi (Post 129178)
I shouldn't grin giggle but I can see this dog doing this.

Yeeaah. He's been much better about things since we got better about leaving things where he could get them! ;) Although...he's gotten into Pop-tarts and candy bars, anything that is accidently left on the counter like loaves of bread and chips.:o We're slow learner's apparently!

Monsters Momma 05-12-2014 01:50 PM

Ok, so last night we got home a little late and found that Vinny had gotten sick. Not much, I didn't think too much about it and went ahead and fed him and gave him his insulin since we were late and he was letting us know that!:rolleyes: He was fine through the night and I didn't think about it again until I just got home to find that he had thrown up everything in his stomach! :eek: What a mess! But now I don't know what to do. I left almost two hours after I fed him this morning so I know he didn't get sick right away. But from the amount, I'd say he got sick up to 6 hours after I fed him. So, what do I do tonight? :confused: this is so unlike Vinny. He just doesn't get sick. :(

Bobby 05-12-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 129477)
Ok, so last night we got home a little late and found that Vinny had gotten sick. Not much, I didn't think too much about it and went ahead and fed him and gave him his insulin since we were late and he was letting us know that!:rolleyes: He was fine through the night and I didn't think about it again until I just got home to find that he had thrown up everything in his stomach! :eek: What a mess! But now I don't know what to do. I left almost two hours after I fed him this morning so I know he didn't get sick right away. But from the amount, I'd say he got sick up to 6 hours after I fed him. So, what do I do tonight? :confused: this is so unlike Vinny. He just doesn't get sick. :(

oh god love him :(
maybe try him with a little boiled chicken and rice
He might of picked up a tummy bug

Cpaura 05-12-2014 02:11 PM

From my own Experience with Miley who just had an episode yesterday she vomited her whole breakfast up and was already given her insulin i tested her right after i found it about 4 hours after shot and she was down 150 already
Anyway Pepcid AC does wonders for Miley. She didn't eat or vomited whatever she ate she vomited for over 3 weeks. Once i started the Pepcid AC her stomach healed. Miley is 16 lbs and i gave her a little more then half a 10mg tablet covered in peanut butter if course. I stopped once she healed but she was eating grass yesterday so i gave her one so i could get food in her before she went too low.

momofdecker 05-12-2014 02:31 PM

We went through a vomiting episode with my non diabetic Kinser recently. He's still on two meals per day - at 12 hour intervals - guess I'm a creature of habit - LOL!

Fasted him during his evening meal. Boiled up a package of chicken and bought some canned pumpkin. Fed him chicken/pumpkin his next two meals. Then kept the chicken/pumpkin but slowly added a bit of kibble to the mixture until I ran out of chicken. His tummy has been fine since. His foot, not so much, as he seems to have a hot spot he's licked so much it's bloody, raw and swollen (despite wearing a cone of shame).

I'd be inclined to let Vinny's tummy rest and give him a reduced dose of insulin tonight. Hope he feels better soon.

Monsters Momma 05-13-2014 07:06 AM

I ended up feeding Vinny a bit of food last night because his BG was at 52 when I checked him! :eek: I needed to get that up and I gambled that he might be able to hold things down. I checked his BG later and it was 145 so no insulin last night...then he threw up again four hours after he ate. :(

This morning I checked his BG and he was at 245 so he got 1/4 his dose of insulin and no food. Called the vet and they want to see him later. They are worried it's some kind of blockage because he's getting sick so long after he's eaten. I'm guessing x-rays of his tummy are in order...won't be the first time. :o The dog will eat anything!

He isn't acting sick at all. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad sign. :confused:

jesse girl 05-13-2014 08:23 AM

that is weird no signs of sickness and it seems like some of the food is being digested . is his stools still ok ?

Judi 05-13-2014 09:00 AM

I hope it is something easily fixed. Poor Vinny and poor you. keep us posted!

Linda1 05-13-2014 10:24 AM

Sending good thoughts for Vinny. Hope the vet figures out what is going on.