Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

Monsters Momma 05-22-2014 05:42 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny

So, my vets office is only open half a day on Wednesday's so we didn't get in. However, Vinny started feeling better! :confused: He ate his ID food, after John warmed it up a bit. Although we haven't given him his full amount of food, he is keeping it all down with a Pepcid in the morning. I'm going to take him in later today for blood work, just to be on the safe side. I want to make sure it's just an upset stomach and not a mild case of pancreatitis.

Silly boy is really worrying me! :(

Monsters Momma 05-23-2014 03:15 AM

I am completely confused. During Vinny's first bout of vomiting, his bg stayed pretty steady in the mid 200's with less than normal insulin and special ID food. Now he's been in the 100's mostly with max 14 u twice yesterday and even less the day before. I haven't been feeding him as much so I haven't been giving him as much insulin. This morning he was at 103 so no insulin so far. I'll check him again in a little bit. Does anyone have a clue what is going on here??:confused:

momofdecker 05-23-2014 05:18 AM

No sure about the bg readings, Mel. Unless less food = less belly discomfort, seems like a long shot though.

Just sending well wishes to Vinny in hopes he is feeling back to his normal self soon. So frustrating when you know something is 'off' but can't quite put your finger on what it is.

jesse girl 05-23-2014 06:24 AM

jesse can vary quite a bit over a period of time . i think in the end its an internal problem where her body isnt really that consistent with what it does

mostly all i can do is adjust and monitor . hope for as long as a stable pattern we can get .

it may come down to the pancreas and whats going on there , whatever it is we just have to deal with it and glad we test

Monsters Momma 05-23-2014 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9diabetes (Post 128199)

I started keeping my log in Excel shortly after Chris was diagnosed. Every now and then I go back through it. Can tell you what his meals, insulin doses, and blood sugar were every day for four years. 8) Not sure if that makes me a crazy dog lady... probably does.

Natalie

Natalie,
I have to say I am really beginning to see the benefit in this. :o I might even add a couple of columns!
Mel

jim maceri 05-23-2014 07:36 AM

That's funny….my log does the same and I can also tell you every time we took a walk, how long the walk was and if he pooped or not…..LOL

In addition, I've marked rain days, storm days, travel days, vet days and days we had visitors in the house……..We are all OBSESSIVE I think.

Monsters Momma 05-23-2014 04:57 PM

I took Vinny to the vet today. I guess the good news is he seems to be feeling better today. The bad news is, he threw up again this morning and he's lost 5 lbs. in the last week. So the vet does think there is something else going on and recommended an ultrasound and a visit to an IMS. She called IMS she referred us, to find out if there were tests that needed to be ran so a whole blood work-up was done to compare to February's along with urinalysis. Vinny's vet doesn't do the SPECcPI but sends it out, so we'll see the IMS next week and see what she thinks about more testing.

Right now Vinny's diet has changed to the more easy on the tummy kind of food, canned and dry. Also, he gets cerenia once a day and Pepcid once a day and we play the insulin by ear. His numbers are really good right now, after only getting about 2/3 his dose yesterday. Got up this morning and his bg was 108...how does that work? Just another puzzling piece. ;)

Riliey and Mo 05-24-2014 01:03 AM

Good the vet will do an ultrasound.

Vinnie sure is having a time. Seems like his bg has dropped alot over the past month where you,ve needed to intervene.

I,m thinking insuloma of pancreas which produces too much insulin. It is a puzzle.

Its important with Vinnies low blood sugar to have the karo on hand , feed him and limit his outings with the other dogs so he doesn,t go hypo

Monsters Momma 05-24-2014 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riliey and Mo (Post 130079)
Good the vet will do an ultrasound.

Vinnie sure is having a time. Seems like his bg has dropped alot over the past month where you,ve needed to intervene.

I,m thinking insuloma of pancreas which produces too much insulin. It is a puzzle.

Its important with Vinnies low blood sugar to have the karo on hand , feed him and limit his outings with the other dogs so he doesn,t go hypo

Thanks Mo. I looked that up and it does have a lot of similarities to what's going on with Vinny. I'm not too encouraged by what I'm reading though. :( We are watching him closely.

A couple of questions...I'm really confused about what to do with Vinny's dose right now. When I test him at fasting, he's been at 100-140 range. I don't feel I can give him insulin so I wait and test him again a couple hours later. Last night he went up to 210 so I gave him 20 units. This morning he was at 140 so I'm worried the 20 was too much. Do I settle on 1/2 his normal and let him go high? I say that but the highest he's been was 344 after no insulin for 24 hours! Do I continue to adjust based on the numbers? That seems counter-productive, but I guess I'm not so much worried about regulation right now.

Lastly, what should I keep track in my log, that would be beneficial when we see the IMS next week?

Thanks.

jesse girl 05-24-2014 06:55 AM

mel it kind of sounds like the dose is hanging around a bit longer than 12 with numbers in the 300s without any insulin .

you may just have to reduce the dose with the lower fasting . there is something up . you can just go with a few units at that lower fasting and see what happens . i know this is very small dose but seeing him in the 300s with no insulin you have to start somewhere and its best to be conservative .

you can add a fast acting like r at midway point if the numbers rebounded quite high with the small dose

this is just an experimentation process to rule some things out . find a dose that maybe appropriate .

jesse has had some lower numbers lately . its hard to give a dose when you see those kind of levels . jesse was in the mid 200s without any insulin. of coarse there isn't any food interaction because she does not get a meal during the day .

you just may have to jump in and see whats going on . plenty of strips on hand . its maybe the need for insulin may have greatly been reduced . maybe something else was going on with vinny and it resolved itself and he just needs less your just going to have to play around with things and see what you come up with .