Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

Bobby 05-24-2014 07:12 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny

your poor baby sounds like he is having a terrible time :(
I really hope he feels better soon
If your anything like me you'd happily take the pain and discomfort from them

amydunn19 05-24-2014 01:40 PM

I would reduce based on the numbers. At times like these, you can't worry too much about staying on course - just get by.

Amy

k9diabetes 05-24-2014 04:47 PM

While I haven't seen anything official, I just logically think that an insulinoma is unlikely in a diabetic dog since their beta cells have been destroyed. The immune system would likely attack a tumor of islet cells similarly.

Dogs with insulinoma's have essentially nonstop low blood sugar because their system is surging with insulin. To the point that you sometimes literally cannot keep their blood sugar high enough even if they eat eat eat all the time. Not generally what you are seeing in a dog who suddenly needs a lot less insulin.

What I do see often leading to low blood sugar is liver problems - the liver plays a huge role in maintaining basal blood sugar when there's no food being digested and converted to glucose.

And I understand that kidney problems can do the same.

It seems very likely to me that something else is up with Vinny so I'm really glad he will have an abdominal ultrasound and good blood workup done.

Natalie

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 130081)
Thanks Mo. I looked that up and it does have a lot of similarities to what's going on with Vinny. I'm not too encouraged by what I'm reading though. :( We are watching him closely.

k9diabetes 05-24-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 130081)
A couple of questions...I'm really confused about what to do with Vinny's dose right now. When I test him at fasting, he's been at 100-140 range. I don't feel I can give him insulin so I wait and test him again a couple hours later. Last night he went up to 210 so I gave him 20 units. This morning he was at 140 so I'm worried the 20 was too much. Do I settle on 1/2 his normal and let him go high? I say that but the highest he's been was 344 after no insulin for 24 hours! Do I continue to adjust based on the numbers? That seems counter-productive, but I guess I'm not so much worried about regulation right now.

Lastly, what should I keep track in my log, that would be beneficial when we see the IMS next week?

Thanks.

If he's erratic, I would dose based on some ranges of numbers. If he's always lower, then I would keep adjusting the dose downward until you get rid of any risk of low blood sugar and see if you can hold there.

So does he currently seem to have a pattern of needing less at every injection?

Or is he high sometimes and low others?

He might also settle some if you reduced the dose and give the same amount each injection. Let his blood sugar ride a bit higher for a while and see if it gets more stable.

I think that's the first thing I would try - drop the dose until you reach a point where you feel comfortable his blood sugar is never low and let it sit there for a few days to see if he be stable at that. It would be good information for the IMS too.

Natalie

amydunn19 05-25-2014 05:50 PM

I had suspected that Maggie might have an insulinoma a few weeks ago. She was so low and I was literally feeding her and feeding her constantly. She went days without insulin. Then, suddenly she went back to her normal pattern. No idea what happened.

The only other time she went through something like this was during an ice storm a couple of years ago. We had no power and it was freezing. I couldn't keep her sugar above 70 for three days, no insulin and multiple meals. We finally got to a hotel that had heat and she gradually became herself again.

My vet had only one other dog who developed an insulinoma. The dog was diabetic but had not been diagnosed for very long. I think it had other issues as well. The other IMS who my vet consulted with seemed to think that these episodes were the result of her pancreas sporadically working which made no sense after seven years of diabetes. But, he said that although the episodes were not common among diabetic dogs, the most common explanation for dogs that do have them is their pancreas retaining some function. He is a young doctor who has a mobile ultrasound/lab and so he basically has a close up look at the organs of many diabetic dogs on a regular basis.

I think the many facets of this disease are so fascinating but when you are experiencing the difficulties, it is quite frustrating. I think Natalie's advice of dropping the dose until the lows go away is probably best. I was always told that sometimes as they age, their insulin needs change as well. Maybe it is just that simple.

Monsters Momma 05-26-2014 06:18 AM

Happy 8th Birthday to my Monster!! ;)

Just thought I'd share some joy!! :D

jesse girl 05-26-2014 06:20 AM

happy birthday vinny . you have come a long way and i am sure there will be a wonderful day planed for you

momofdecker 05-26-2014 07:24 AM

Happy 8th birthday you Monster Vinny! Hope you celebrate with a special treat and enjoy your day! Wishing you many more years of celebration!

Linda1 05-26-2014 09:18 AM

Happy birthday, Vinny!
http://www.pbase.com/linda2/image/33830467/original.jpg

ceruleanblue 05-26-2014 11:46 AM

Happy Birthday Vinny! :D