Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

Joan 10-07-2015 02:07 PM

Re: My Monster Vinny

Sometimes it all becomes too much both for you and for poor Vinny. I think that all the meds and all the pain etc he had, he is just not feeling up to par.

On several of my handicapped pugs, if they are not feeling well, they just don't try and seem to regress for a day or two. They always recover from that. Extra TLC, and getting them on a stable footing might do the trick.

Not sure if Vinny was on carpet or vinyl or how his footing was when he slipped? If you can manage to get him outside, they usually will try and succeed. One of my semi-handicapped guys, will splay out like that, and he just wont try after that. But if I can get him (easier for me than you with a larger dog) outside, he will finally realize it is doable and up he gets.

Hope that might work for you, hard not to despair when Vinny and you have been thru so much, and now this. You have done such an amazing job with him, and you will get thru this too.

If you have trouble moving him, a towel rolled up and lifting under his tummy makes it easier for larger dogs

Prayers for you both. Joan

jesse girl 10-07-2015 02:08 PM

yes when it rains it pours . it makes you want to hide somewhere till this is all over and they move onto someone else

glad things have a better prognosis . hopefully the new problem is no big deal and a little bit of rest may help if vinny can slow down a bit and take a break

Monsters Momma 10-07-2015 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan (Post 149443)
Sometimes it all becomes too much both for you and for poor Vinny. I think that all the meds and all the pain etc he had, he is just not feeling up to par.

On several of my handicapped pugs, if they are not feeling well, they just don't try and seem to regress for a day or two. They always recover from that. Extra TLC, and getting them on a stable footing might do the trick.

Not sure if Vinny was on carpet or vinyl or how his footing was when he slipped? If you can manage to get him outside, they usually will try and succeed. One of my semi-handicapped guys, will splay out like that, and he just wont try after that. But if I can get him (easier for me than you with a larger dog) outside, he will finally realize it is doable and up he gets.

Hope that might work for you, hard not to despair when Vinny and you have been thru so much, and now this. You have done such an amazing job with him, and you will get thru this too.

If you have trouble moving him, a towel rolled up and lifting under his tummy makes it easier for larger dogs

Prayers for you both. Joan

Thanks Joan!
Once I felt the pain pills had kicked in, Gabbi and I worked to get him outside. Fortunately we just had to keep our hands on him and give him lots of encouragement. He did so much better outside walking very slowly around. Our entire downstairs floor is hardwoods and tile so no grip there. I also trimmed his nails thinking that his nails might be too long.

Hes been resting tonight and hopefully he'll feel better tomorrow and Gabbi and I will be wondering if this really happened. ;)

Joan 10-07-2015 06:25 PM

Hopefully he will be fine tomorrow after a good rest. If not at worst it may last a few days.

Since you can't change the floors, petsmart and a few others sell little booties, they look like balloons and can stay on for hours at a time, and give him traction and thus a little confidence. They are kind of elastic and stay on really well. the thicker ones that buckle or have straps are not viable, they will be off in seconds....that is if you can get them on at all.

BTW on the sores, a lot of experienced people on one of my pug blogs, use cannabis oil with great success on anything from skin infections up to and including cancerous lesions. If you are interested send me a PM and I can find out how to obtain that.

TRY and get some sleep it will do you both some good.

Joan

amydunn19 10-07-2015 08:03 PM

I got some of those grippy rugs when we had our lab Chip - he got old and couldn't get around our house, slipping and sliding. They sell some at Wal mart or target and are fairly inexpensive and you can always roll them up and get them out of sight if they aren't fitting your decor. The Boots Joan is referring to are called Pawz and work great. We also have socks with grippy things on the bottom from RC Pet Products. Either product is not outrageously expensive and reusable.

Judi 10-08-2015 04:00 AM

I hope Vinny is feeling better today. you guys can't catch a break. Does he tolerate a cone ok?

Linda1 10-08-2015 01:34 PM

I've had to put rubber backed throw rugs throughout the downstairs for Jake. His rear has been getting weaker in the past year and without a good grip, he splays out.

Hope Vinny feels better in the morning and isn't too sore and stiff from his fall.

Monsters Momma 10-09-2015 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda1 (Post 149474)
I've had to put rubber backed throw rugs throughout the downstairs for Jake. His rear has been getting weaker in the past year and without a good grip, he splays out.

Hope Vinny feels better in the morning and isn't too sore and stiff from his fall.

Linda,
Do you think the weakness is just age? I was thinking it was lack of exercise for Vinny.

All,
He seems to have turned a corner! He's doing much better and my husband is finding it hard to believe what Gabbi and I were telling him about. Figures Vinny wouldn't do it in front of him! Stinker.

Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes!
Mel and her Stinker Vinny

Linda1 10-09-2015 05:36 AM

Mel, I do feel that it is age related, at least for Jake. Jake has no other health issues, and has been fairly regulated all these years. I noticed that it came on slowly. Going up the stairs to the second floor, getting up from laying down, etc. He just started getting slower at all of it. I think at least once a week he will splay out and we need to help him get up and then he is fine.

Monsters Momma 10-12-2015 04:52 AM

So Vinny being the stinker that he is, is now walking around here like nothing happened over the last two weeks!! He doesn't realize how close we were to losing him and how we had steeled ourselves to the idea that we might have to put him down. 😔 Stinker.

Vinny's sores on his groin are healing and less gross to look at. :o He still has some antibiotics he's taking and some pain pills. His legs splay at times but no more than they were before all of this started. Really that's it. He's eating well again and his bg numbers are better. But even more that that, he has his energy back and he acts like nothing happened. :rolleyes:

So that's my update. Thank you all for your advice, prayers, and positive thoughts sent this way!!
Mel and her Stinker Vinny! ;)