Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6869)

Shellie 10-29-2011 09:05 PM

Re: New to forum, looking for suggestions

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigM (Post 59597)
Agree with Barb & Judi. I hear here on the forum that the One Touch Ultra 1/2 are probably the closest, but I don't have one myself. Best to take your meter along on a vet visit and do the comparison. Best done if the numbers are in the lower 100s, but any comparison is interesting. Then figure the percentage difference, if you want to. After you get a little meter experience, you might ask your vet if they have an AlphaTrak (dog) meter that they might loan you for a day.

The AlphaTrak meter is expensive ($100-$150) and the test strips are over $1 each, but I'm glad I have one. I use a cheap ReliOn (Walmart) meter for daily testing, but maybe once a month I'll use both meters to make sure my percentage calculation is still valid.

:eek: YOU don't have an Ultra meter? Oh Craig! That's just sad!

CraigM 10-29-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellie (Post 59609)
:eek: YOU don't have an Ultra meter? Oh Craig! That's just sad!

Possibly Annie will get one for Christmas!:D

k9diabetes 10-29-2011 10:55 PM

Our OneTouch Ultra was an average of 35 to 40 points lower than actual through blood sugar in the mid-300s with it being more accurate at levels of 90 or less, where the difference was down in the 20s.

But it does vary meter to meter and dog to dog so best to have yours checked against some lab values. If not lab values, then it can help to have it compared to the AlphaTrak - not as accurate of a comparison but better than nothing.

I did an extensive comparison with Chris using our OneTouch and AlphaTrak.

http://www.k9diabetes.com/metercompare.jpg

This matched up with the comparisons I had done with a lab value at a handful of vet visits.

Natalie

Shellie 10-29-2011 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigM (Post 59616)

That would make three...no, four meters? I can see Annie's face now when you 'set up' for her bg's! :eek: LOL

Shellie 10-29-2011 11:53 PM

It would be nice that the Ultra tracks a bit lower. I'd rather 'think' he was fifty and actually is 80 than have it the other way around. Mine seems to be running 20 to 30 points difference in the higher ranges with my Ultra being higher. That I don't like so am always a bit paranoid just in case my own meter always runs higher even in the lower numbers. I think I might be getting an alpha trak.

jim maceri 10-30-2011 05:48 AM

Spirit has been diagnosed for a week now and hasn't even started insulin until Thursday and I now have 3 meters. The pharmacist gave me a bayer contour on the first day when I was looking at diabetic supplies. Then based on your comments I bought the ultra 2 and yesterday I ordered the alpha trax.....I think I might be getting a little neurotic right now.

In my vets instructions it states that it is not necessary to do testing every single day. Once he is somewhat regulated the literature he gave me said if you are comfortable with testing it can be done a few times each day but once the dog is regulated it says you will visually see changes in your dog if there is a problem and test when you see these changes.

An MD who is a member of our church has a diabetic dog and when I told her about Spirit she said she only tests one day each week and when she does it is first thing in the A.M. , an hour after insulin, before his evening meal and then again an hour after the evening shot.

I like what Craig said about using the Alpha once a month to "calibrate" it with the ultra 2. What is your testing regiment?

farrwf 10-30-2011 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigM (Post 59616)

Methinks she'll be asking Santa to stop in and pick up ALL your meters.

eileen 10-30-2011 06:02 AM

Jim,

Jumping in here because I am a huge advocate for home blood testing on a daily basis if your dog with tolerate it.

For 7 years I have tested Mildred at her every fasting (at the very least), day in and day out with not a single fasting missed.

I believe that with staying on top of their glucose levels with daily testing you can catch any potential issue brewing before it gets out of hand.

I also personally can not imagine blindly administering an insulin injection without first knowing where their glucose level is.
Their glucose levels can flucuate so much from day to day.

Many dogs will have the same outward appearance whether they are in a low, mid or high range.

Mildred can be extremely low and appear to be perfectly fine.

Over the years I have collected a huge assortment of meters but on a daily basis I now stick with my Alpha Trak but with the Freestyle Lite test strips that so many of us have found works quite well.
At one time I did comparisons with the Contour and for Mildred I found it to be very 'off' and would not suggest its use for our dogs.

I'm thrilled that you are going to be getting into the swing of home testing!

btw, you might want to check out this older thread;

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...sons#post26195

Cebe 10-30-2011 11:59 AM

Jim, I also have an alpha track. I only do curves now and spot checks when I think there might be a problem. Mostly that's because I'm disorganized at the moment in dealing with Zoe. She's only getting the most basic care, poor dear. But, i probably will start testing regularly when I feel that she is regulated. Regular testing for me will probably be once a week, but a mini curve once a week. Not just a single test.

jim maceri 10-30-2011 12:32 PM

Let me clarify.....my vet believes that checking the BG before the morning shot and before the evening shot would be great IF your dog is comfortable. He said that it just isn't necessary for the dog to do 6 or more tests each day. This is just his opinion of course but for now I really like and trust this guy. The only reason he wants to wait till Thursday this week is because he works Thurs, Friaday and Saturday and doesn't want any of the other vets working with Spirit except himself. ( I like that).

I think his comment was that it will probably make you feel better but it's just not necessary for your dog (6 times a day). He knows that I work out of the house and am with the dog all day and night. He's hoping that by Christmas we will have the dosage somewhat regulated. His plan is for me to bring spirit in 3 days after I bring him home on Saturday. Then again 4 days after that and once a week till the end of the year. He doesn't want me making ANY changes to the dosage without his approval for the first 2 months. When we go on vacation, he wants me to call in before making changes.