Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6869)

k9diabetes 10-23-2011 05:09 PM

Re: New to forum, looking for suggestions

If his blood sugar is staying in the 200s mainly, I wouldn't expect him to be drinking a lot of water. Some dogs are sensitive and will start getting really thirsty in the 300s but some, like ours, don't really show any signs of symptoms until the blood sugar is sustained at a higher level, like the high 400s.

The good news for Spirit is that dogs tolerate diabetes generally quite a bit better than people do. They can thrive and lead a good quality of life even if the blood sugar is not very tightly regulated and a few forays into the 300s generally doesn't bother most of them too much. They also don't suffer from many of the side effects of Type 1 diabetes that people do. Cataracts and a tendency toward UTIs are the main problems encountered.

Injections are likely going to be a lot easier than you think they are. And with all that fur, you won't have to see much! ;)

You get into a rhythm with your dog and injections are just part of life, like brushing your teeth in the morning. Our dog was diabetic for five years so we gave literally thousands of them.

And I've known and still do know lots of dogs diagnosed relatively young like Spirit who lived with diabetes for 8, 9, 10 years. We have even seen a couple of dogs diagnosed as puppies. Now that's a challenge!

Natalie

Patty 10-23-2011 07:31 PM

Jim,
You've gotten some great advice/input so I just wanted to say welcome to you and Spirit!
Patty

jim maceri 10-24-2011 05:22 AM

I'm sure I will be posting his morning BG level when I return from the vet Tuesday morning. I'm going to ask for another CBC and Fructosomine also and those test result will take a couple of days so I'm guessing Thursday.

I can't thank all of you enough. I got my first good nights sleep in weeks yesterday because I was able to turn off the voice in my head thanks to the wonderful folks here. I've decided it is what it is and I'm getting more comfortable with the notion of giving injections. In any event, no matter what it ends up being I'm going to get a BG meter after the vet and begin testing him before meals and several times thru the day and night. Wish me luck tomorrow. I know it is wishful thinking but I'm hoping this increase was some kind of episode but it's ok if it's not.

jjefferjo 10-24-2011 05:26 AM

Hi Jim and welcome-
Yo will do just fine whatever the results - we are watching and cheering you on.
Jj

hwilhelm 10-24-2011 06:32 AM

One tip, get your meter before the vet visit. That way vet can compare your meter with the meter he/she uses. My old meter registered 40 points lower than one at vet's office. There was only an 18 point difference when Mindy's bg levels were lower.

Heidi

jim maceri 10-24-2011 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hwilhelm (Post 59030)
One tip, get your meter before the vet visit. That way vet can compare your meter with the meter he/she uses. My old meter registered 40 points lower than one at vet's office. There was only an 18 point difference when Mindy's bg levels were lower.

Heidi

will do....thanks. Any suggestions on the brand or type that works well for everyone?

SandyL 10-24-2011 07:42 AM

Lots of people on here use the One Touch Ultra.... Me included and it has worked well. Strips are pretty pricey, but you can get them cheaper on eBay or amazon.

Craig is the authority on LOTS of different kinds of meters. You could always message him

Good luck today!!
Sandy

CarolW 10-24-2011 08:05 AM

I very strongly recommend the OneTouch Ultra2. That's their main full-size model. I suggest NOT going to any other model from the same manufacturer, as the Ultra2 is the one really renowned for consistency and reliability. Luckily, once you get it set up (date and time, as instructed in the manual), that's pretty well it; after that, the meter tells you right on the display what to do when.

The OneTouch Ultra is the older model, not manufactured any more, so the current full-size model is the Ultra2. There are others as well, but I think the Ultra2 is the one to get.

Besides, its consistency makes it really useful.

You'd probably want to start with about 50 strips (at least), as you'll waste a few while learning.

But check out the leads here to testing BG levels, and also, there's excruciating detail here:

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/bgtest.php

Do yell for assistance if/when you need it, and lots here will help guide you!
Mon, 24 Oct 2011 08:04:56 (PDT)

Patty 10-24-2011 10:12 AM

I agree on the OneTouch Ultra2. I has a good track record for consistency. All human meters typically measure your dog's blood sugar a bit lower that actual due to the difference in size/shape of a dog's red blood cell. And that difference gets smaller with lower blood sugar.

Amazon is the cheapest place I've found thus far for the Ultra2 meter at about $20 including shipping. Retail runs around $60. I also buy my test strips on ebay for about 47 cents a strip (including shipping). Often I can get them for less if I'm patient and catch a good day. Just watch for factory sealed boxes and good expiration dates.

Depending on where you think you'll test on your dog, I like the AccuChek Softclix lancing device. I use the lip stick method and these lancets work well for that area. http://www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html

If you are using a thicker place, many like the larger gauge lancets (the lower the number, the larger the lancet) such as 25 gauge to get a good drop of blood.

If you don't get your meter and master testing before this vet visit, don't stress. It took us a while to find the right "sweet spot" for testing.

Take care,
Patty

jim maceri 10-25-2011 09:16 AM

Just got back from the vet with spirit. His BG was 264 after a 12 hour fast. He still has a slight urinary tract infection so he is back on a 7 day antibiotic regiment.

Since he fasted for 15 hours, the vet decided to do alot of blood work just to make sure he can rule out any other causes of the elevation in sugar. We also took in a first in the morning urine sample and indeed it did have sugar in it. I really like my vet and the fact that he wants to be cautious before we have to drop him off for 3 days to begin the insulin injections. We should have the results of the blood work up back either Wednesday or Thursday so I will let you all know those results too.

My wife was with me today and this has hit her a bit harder than me since I was somewhat prepared for the diagnosis. The hardest part will be not having him with us for 3 days......as I said working out of the house means Spirit is literally with us 24/7. I'm hoping he will let me visit and walk him each day to reduce the stress of being apart (for both of us).

I guess the blessing is that 7 weeks ago he had completely normal blood levels on the CBC so we have hopefully caught this very early. I guess I'll be a regular here now looking for support and great information. We plan to take the motorhome to Florida on Christmas Eve so it will be good that we have a couple of months to try and get things regulated. At this point, he doesn't want me to do any home testing until they can get the BG curve done at the hospital.

We are looking at taking him in on November 14th for the start of his stay unless the blood work tells us something different.

Thanks again, this site has been a great comfort.