Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6869)

Cebe 10-25-2011 09:25 AM

Re: New to forum, looking for suggestions

What is the vet going to do for three days with your dog? I do not mean to question your vet, as I'm not the one examining the dog (nor do I have a vet degree), but my vet never did this with my dog. As a matter of fact, I'm still working toward regulation, and it's been several months.

What I'm getting at is a question (not a judgment or opinion) - is your vet planning some sort of intensive regulation treatment to get your dog going on insulin, or is there some other reason to keep your pup for 3 days?

Hope you don't mind the intrusion. I am curious about this. Thanks!

Abby's Mom 10-25-2011 09:28 AM

Welcome Jim!

I was the same situation as you back in May, when I had to leave Abby at the vet's for 3 days, and I too work out of the home, so she is with me 24/7. I missed her alot, and I was not allowed to see her, nor did they keep in touch with me (even after calling 2x a day0... since then, I have switched vets. When I picked Abby up, she sat in the seat next to me, looked at me sidewise, (as if to say, I'm not speaking to you), and then about 5 minutes later just complained.... continued to bark all the way home. I think she was yelling at me!!

I have the One Touch Ultra2, like most on the forum, and absolutely love it, but I will say it did take some time in getting the blood sample right the first time, but that just takes practice, so do not discourage, if you should have any problems.

Just wanted to give a warm welcome....

SandyL 10-25-2011 10:07 AM

Hey Jim

I'm also a little confused on the 3 day stay?? :confused: has your vet NOT started Spirit on insulin as of yet??
When Tiggy was diagnosed, we got the instructions that day to start insulin, what kind, how much, feeding etc. we did take her back for a curve about a week later, but that was just for the day.
Some dogs regulate quickly..... Others never do at all :(

Sandy

jim maceri 10-25-2011 11:01 AM

I'm going to question the vet about the stay also....his explanation to me was that they are able to give the insulin and create a curve each day and night so that after 3 days he will be confident to have the right "starting" dose. He said he has done it both ways, letting the dog go home and keeping them for 3 days. He has had much better luck in regulating the amount when he keeps them. Also, I live in a rural area and the vet is 30 minutes from my home. I'm sure he would do it either way if I insisted on trying at home. Being new to this he wants to improve my chances for success and get the initial dosing right.

He then said I would be bringing him in once a week (unless I have an issue) for the next month and once we get it somewhat regulated it will be check-ups every 3 months. I'm a bit overwhelmed as I said, so your questions to me are helpful for me to then ask the vet. I will be talking to him again on Wednesday (26th) to get the blood test results so I can ask him about the stay. I also get the sense that he knows I am nervous about this.

Cebe 10-25-2011 11:51 AM

You know I've been working on regulating since June 1 and I see some benefit to your vets plan if you can pay for it. Seems like with some intensive work on his part he might be able to get you farther down the road than if you try yourself but on the other hand my experience with going slowly is that it is a very slow process where any change in insulin needs a few days to settle in before knowing how it affects your dog.

Again I'm not questioning your vet. This process he is suggesting with the 3 day stay and weekly testing might be a very effective way to get regulation, if you can pay for it.

k9diabetes 10-25-2011 11:54 AM

I'm personally not a fan of regulating a dog in the hospital. The environment isn't the same as at home so the response can be quite different, they may not be willing to eat like they would at home, and, perhaps most important, three days really isn't long enough for the body to adjust to being on insulin so I don't think you get an accurate picture of the response.

I personally prefer a safe starting dose - around 1/5 of a unit per pound - started at home.

Have you considered home blood glucose testing?

You could start that now and monitor his blood sugar and then if he goes on insulin you can do curves and test him at home.

I know that might be overwhelming to consider right now. But it would allow you to give him the careful monitoring the vet wants from the hospital setting while he's in his own home with his normal routine.

He may also need to start on a very small dose of insulin if the diabetes has been caught really early. In which case home monitoring would also be very important to check for low blood sugar due to honeymooning.

http://www.k9diabetes.com/dogdiabeteshoneymoon.html

I'm glad the vet is flexible on this. That way, you can do what works best for you and Spirit.

farrwf 10-25-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim maceri (Post 59131)
I really like my vet and the fact that he wants to be cautious before we have to drop him off for 3 days to begin the insulin injections. My wife was with me today and this has hit her a bit harder than me since I was somewhat prepared for the diagnosis. The hardest part will be not having him with us for 3 days......as I said working out of the house means Spirit is literally with us 24/7. I'm hoping he will let me visit and walk him each day to reduce the stress of being apart (for both of us).

Abby's Mom: ....I was the same situation as you back in May, when I had to leave Abby at the vet's for 3 days, and I too work out of the home, so she is with me 24/7. I missed her alot, and I was not allowed to see her, nor did they keep in touch with me (even after calling 2x a day0... since then, I have switched vets.

HUH, ... what's with the 3 day stints?

No visitors????

Abby's Mom 10-25-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farrwf (Post 59151)
HUH, ... what's with the 3 day stints?

No visitors????

I know!!! I wish I knew about this forum prior to dropping her off. After all of this, their home instructions where;

1. Give 10 units once a day
2. Doesn't matter if she eats or not.
3. No scheduled needed.
4. See you in a week.

Ugh! I left there in a hurry, and then found this forum, found a new vet. It has been a godsend.

farrwf 10-25-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abby's Mom (Post 59154)
I know!!! I wish I knew about this forum prior to dropping her off. After all of this, their home instructions where;

1. Give 10 units once a day
2. Doesn't matter if she eats or not.
3. No scheduled needed.
4. See you in a week.

Ugh! I left there in a hurry, and then found this forum, found a new vet. It has been a godsend.

Don't blame you.

I was kind of startled, .... never heard of that before.

Now, Otis was there 3 days, ... but with IV's in his arms to get rid of the ketones and get the ultra high sugar down.

jim maceri 10-25-2011 01:10 PM

Just ordered my ultra 2 monitor, strips and lancets from amazon. Going to start checking when it arrives. I would rather do this at home and drive the dog in 3 times a day if needed then leave him. I know he will stress if I do that. Just after todays visit he is acting weird....