Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

stylynjm 10-09-2012 12:41 PM

Re: Sissy's Mom

Thanks shellie,I will go back up tomrrow if today stays ok.:) for anyone that uses a human meter how do u account for highs and lows,seeing they run lower than the dog meter.how do u know ur safe zone???

jesse girl 10-09-2012 02:29 PM

i have always treated the numbers as is on her humane meter and has worked well for jesse

understanding her trends and physical symptoms helps allot if she is in a lower range and i know we are getting close or slowing of any drops i will not intervene and leave things alone but will keep an eye on things

stylynjm 10-09-2012 06:01 PM

That makes sense.Sissy is so mellow,it is hard to know how she is always. I'm still learning.!!!!

Rubytuesday 10-09-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylynjm (Post 88862)
Well,Sissy and I made it through the first novolin dose. I gave hee 6 units.so far today her numbers have been about typical, all though this am,after food before insulin she was 450.not to uncommon for an after food reading.then she was 148 at 10a.m. 134 at 11 a.m. and 258 at 1 p.m. I am going to test again before food or insulin,and then a few hrs after insulin. What about staying with the six units for a day or two to see what she does????

That is quite a range from the high to the low. I may have missed it, but do you have a recent curve or could you do one once you have been on the same dose of the Novolin for at least 3 days? Wondering if there might be a way to even things out a bit.

Tara

CraigM 10-09-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubytuesday (Post 88998)
That is quite a range from the high to the low. I may have missed it, but do you have a recent curve or could you do one once you have been on the same dose of the Novolin for at least 3 days? Wondering if there might be a way to even things out a bit.

Tara

She has been waiting an hour after the meals before she injects the insulin. I think she plans to move the insulin up to 30 minutes after eating (I encourage moving the injection closer to meal time).

stylynjm 10-09-2012 06:57 PM

Would love to get it evened out!!!! I think I will return to 6 1/2 units tomarrow if tonite r high. Then I plan a curve sat or sun.then I will post curve and am hoping to get some guidance with evening her out. Thanks so much

stylynjm 10-09-2012 07:18 PM

Wow,I just gave her 6 1/2, she was 546!!!!!!!! On AT2.

Rubytuesday 10-09-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigM (Post 89002)
She has been waiting an hour after the meals before she injects the insulin. I think she plans to move the insulin up to 30 minutes after eating (I encourage moving the injection closer to meal time).

Are you waiting an hour after feeding for a specific concern?

Some folks wait a short amount of time if they think the dog will vomit or not eat the full meal. I wouldn't wait any more then 1/2 hr. like Craig suggests. I actually always inject before feeding. Ruby has a great appetite and with her megae causing regurge unto 4 hours post feeding the 1/2 wait wouldn't help us there. Fortunately she practically never regurges and if she does it is just a little spit. Not like the old days when it was 4 x daily projectile full meals...usually over my shoulder or on my husbands head.:eek:

Injecting sooner then the hour after feeding I bet will go a long ways to evening out. The insulin can take up to 1 1/2 hrs. to start working, paired with 1 hr after food may be the reason you are seeing that 400.

Tara

stylynjm 10-09-2012 07:57 PM

The only reason is that's the way the vet started us out.we started insulin July 20th.she never told me to change,but after all I've learned form all of u,I'm thinking 30 minutes would help.should I give the 6 1/2 a couple of days first????

Rubytuesday 10-09-2012 08:22 PM

My recommendation would be to give the insulin within 1/2 hr after eating. The only reason I would hold off was if I saw a low reading, but even then 1hr. might be too long. Remember though, this is from a person who injects before food and whose dog skyrockets without insulin...intermediate and fast- big food rise.

So I would do that regardless of what dose you are doing.

Do you test before feeding? That is one of the most important numbers to have.

Tara