Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

jesse girl 12-15-2012 10:51 AM

Re: Sissy's Mom

this is the conundrum starting at a higher fasting having a substantial drop in the first hour or two and then bounce back up

until you can slow down that drop and that can be a challenge to figure you may continue to see this trend but it maybe less dramatic over time

as you discussed finding a food that you can supplement with the daily meal that can slow that drop is what you would like to experiment with which isn't as difficult as completely changing the diet to something else but it is possible that you just may have to find an alternative diet completely

most times it is food that doesn't read well as far as ingredients. jesse milk bones do wonders for her flattening out her numbers without it she would drop and spike back up

of coarse there is always a possibility of to much insulin and sometimes you may not have good result even with the reduction until the body can adapt

so maybe the easiest thing is to find a carb that can slow down that drop dont worry about anything else but that if you can solve that all the rest of the numbers may improve

stylynjm 12-15-2012 10:58 AM

So a milkbone or rice,millet,with food or as snack???

stylynjm 12-15-2012 11:03 AM

Jesse,would u say Sissy dropped to fast this a.m.? What kind of drop do I want.

jesse girl 12-15-2012 11:23 AM

yes that is a large drop and that was jesse big problem and it was challenging to figure out tried all kinds of things from rice oatmeal pancakes the list was long

as you know jesse only has one meal a day so the milk bones are a snack on an empty stomach they have no affect if i gave her the milkbone with her regular meal i guess to much to digest

you do have some resources with some success pattys alli and barbs abbey they made a science out of adding these unique carbs to flatten out there numbers that is not a strength of mine it probably would have made things easier for getting jesse settled but we got there though the back door

a real goal would be no more than a 50 point drop within a short time and for some dogs that might still be to much a 100 points from low to high in an entire day is a good range as the spread gets larger it gets more difficult to get better blood sugar

many dogs do just fine with a range from 150 to 250 for a day

each change needs probably a week just to see if you have any positive results and dont expect it to work every time but if you do see some positive results continue to tinker a bit with the change

stylynjm 12-15-2012 11:37 AM

She was just 254, slight rise from 238 at 9 a.m. is there enough of a benefit to the change in shot sites to go down this road?? I know absorption is important. So she stopped this drop at 3-4 hrs,but if she started at 250, she could drop to low??

I will see what she does the rest of today. Not sure what road to take tonite.
I have w/d and made oatmeal to have more carbs available.

jesse girl 12-15-2012 11:52 AM

your doing great trying different things slow and steady one at a time and testing to see the results

some dogs can handle drops better than others some will drop and stay fairly flat for the rest of the day and some others are wobbliers and they are kind of unpredictable which doesnt mean they cant have acceptable blood sugar just might have to add a couple more steps to accomplish this

each little thing that works you can add to the bag of tricks thats what we do for jesse and we use the whole bag

with this disease for us it was not instantaneous knowledge its a step by step process learning as we go

jesse is kind of a Frankenstein diabetic not one person on this forum had the answer for us to solve her blood sugar challenges but a combination of different things many people tried for there pups which got jesse in a better place

stylynjm 12-15-2012 12:06 PM

But what should I do tonite if her fasting is in the 200's. I want to stick with the sides right,at least until I know if it makes a difference.

jesse girl 12-15-2012 12:09 PM

yes one thing at a time once you have concluded that you are seeing some improvement with the change and small is ok then you move on to the next thing

stylynjm 12-15-2012 02:10 PM

Sissy is up to 440 at 1p.m. worse than before?????
I'm wondering about insulin?? Only 9 days old,should be good:(

I'm going to walk her for 5 minutes.!

k9diabetes 12-15-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylynjm (Post 95024)
Has anyone else dealt with this couple of days down(120-280) then a day and a half up(300-450).we go back and forth.would a food change smooth things out?

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to know what may be behind these fluctuations. There are a lot of possibilities...

- erratic absorption of insulin
- erratic digestion and conversion of food to blood sugar
- inflammation, allergies, and/or infection
- wobbly cortisol production, which can have longlasting effects
- eratic overall metabolism
- disease processes that we don't know about
- varying levels of excitement and activity
- unknown causes that make dogs "wobblers"

Some of those things can be changed - diet changes may change digestion process, a different insulin may be absorbed differently - and some of them can't.

There are dogs who just wobble no matter what you do.

And there's no way to know what Sissy's wobbling is from short of a long, very methodical and careful process of experimentation. Which may or may not identify a cause.

Patty can tell you from her experience that some dogs just don't do stable no matter how many things you try. Patty tried them all.

I think long-term some very careful and methodical experimentation would be worthwhile with Sissy. It will have to be done carefully and planned, with a minimum of a week or two weeks between small single changes to allow for a long-term response and a pattern.

That is not necessarily something someone relatively new to managing canine diabetes can do because you have to understand the mechanics of what you are changing and the likely results. And it's not really possible for us to lead the way. It needs to be someone with the skill and who has their hands on the dog.

So to be honest, for a few weeks at least, I wouldn't do anything different. Or even ponder what to do differently.

Sissy's insulin dose has been bouncing around, sounds like the place where the injection has been given has changed... I would, tomorrow, pick a routine and an amount of insulin that generally keeps her blood sugar from going low (she rarely has been actually low, she's usually just been at the low end of a good range), and stay there through the new year.

I would test her routinely IF you can keep from wanting to change something else because of knowing what her blood sugar is. If you can't, then I wouldn't test her very much. I don't think you've seen any dangerous readings and as long as you stick with a conservative insulin dose, you won't have to test blood sugar.

However much you do test, keep a record of the tests you do as it will be helpful at the end of that two-week "settle in and remain steady" period. Just don't respond to any of the tests with changes. Only exception is truly low blood sugar - below 70 - at which point you cut the insulin dose a little and hold at the smaller dose.

So that means exact same diet, exact same insulin dose, and same general area for all injections - pick whichever spot you want to stick with, a predictable amount and timing of exercise.

It can really help to take a step back and put down the meter and put down the mental gymnastics of constantly trying to figure things out on a daily basis. You can't see the big picture from that perspective.

When your brain is juggling sixteen different ideas about what might need to change but you have no way of knowing what needs to be changed or even whether anything should be changed, there's no clarity.

I think stability and predictability would be the biggest benefit for Sissy right now.

Natalie