Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Annie & Craig - Getting too smart! (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1637)

Monsters Momma 07-27-2013 06:48 AM

Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Thanks Craig! Guess I couldn't read the small print! :)
Mel

CraigM 08-07-2013 03:55 PM

I haven't posted a general update on Annie for a while. She had a routine (6 month) eye check on 7-18 and discovered she again had high eye pressure. Think it was 30ish:(. The vet changed her eye drop: off Dorzolamide / Timolol and restarted Latanoprost. Her normal dosage of Novolin-N had been 8 units in the morning, and 8.25 units in the evening to keep her mostly in the 90-225 range. Within a day or two of starting the new eye drop I noticed her blood glucose readings were getting too low and I had to intervene with honey & snacks. I've had to reduce her dosage in 1/4 unit steps and we are now at 7 units AM / 7.25 units PM to keep her in a safer range. Don't know if her eye pressure has dropped and that has required the lower dose of insulin, or if the reduction is a result of the different eye drop. Probably both.

Anyway, this is another reason for home blood testing. If I had not been testing after the switch in eye drops, her blood glucose probably would have gone way too low.

Other than the change in eye drop, she has been staying out of trouble:)

Craig

Rubytuesday 08-07-2013 04:43 PM

Good catch Craig...but then how could anything slip by you the tester of all testers.:p

So sorry you and even more so Annie have to deal with this pesky eye pressure issue. I imagine if her pain is reduced with the new drops that could lower her insulin needs.

Tara

Emily 08-07-2013 04:58 PM

Sorry to hear about the change in pressure, but hopefully with the changes things will even out. Luckily she has you keeping an eye on things!

jesse girl 08-07-2013 05:45 PM

yes Craig good catch but i am sure you expected it

i also agree with your hypothesis .

what we will do to keep our pups safe and more than happy to do it .

Patty 08-08-2013 05:52 AM

Glad the pressure has dropped Craig. I'm sure that must feel better to her as well. Glad you test!

Monsters Momma 08-08-2013 05:55 AM

What a little stinker! ;) She's just keeping you on your toes you know! Hope everything evens out soon!

Abby's Mom 08-08-2013 06:21 AM

Whew.. goes to show that anything can affect their BG. Annie certainly keeps you on your toes, that is for sure.

Barb

Eddie 08-08-2013 06:36 AM

Glad you caught it - but we would all expect nothing less of the resident meter and testing guru!

A quick question from my own ignorance - Eddie can't see due to retinal problems unrelated to diabetes. I don't therefore really worry about cataracts on the basis that they would probably not change his vision or lack of it. Is the pressure problem something which flows from cataracts, or is it a separate (diabetic) issue and therefore something I should be getting him checked for? He hasn't seen an eye doctor for several years because there is nothing that could be done and no progression.
Thanks
Antonia

Rubytuesday 08-08-2013 07:43 AM

Hi Antonia, I believe the pressure problem most often flows from Glaucoma, not sure if it needs to be preceded by cataracts. It can be pretty painful and you would probably be seeing signs of discomfort if Eddie was having a problem with it.

I lived in fear of it with Ruby, but she never had pressure.

Tara