Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Annie & Craig - Getting too smart! (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1637)

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom 03-22-2014 04:38 PM

Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Oh what beautiful numbers Miss Annie has!

Patty 03-23-2014 08:20 PM

Love reading the experiment Craig!

CraigM 04-04-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigM (Post 126318)
OK, I've been a little busy testing AlphaTrak2 test strips and FreeStyle Lite test strips in my AlphaTrak2 meter (again:D).

I just opened a new box of AlphaTrak2 strips (code 6), and have a container of FreeStyle Lite strips that I opened about three weeks ago. The FreeStyle Lite strips were marked code 16, but I'm ignoring that code because that would code a FreeStyle Lite(series) meter for human blood.

The first series of tests used AlphaTrak Control Solution because I figure that is more consistent than trying to get enough blood out of Annie:D. I selected to try code 5, 6 and 35 because I've had AlphaTrak2 strips with these codes in the past. I tried code 7 because years ago code 7 seemed to work well in the original (grey) AlphaTrak meter. Really, I was just guessing!

AT code 6 = 159
FSL code 5 = 172
FSL code 6 = 163
FSL code 7 = 155
FSL code 35 = 177

This test indicated that if I coded the AlphaTrak2 meter to 6 for a FreeStyle Lite strip (same as my current true AlphaTrak2 strip) the FreeStyle Lite strip read 4 points higher. If I switched the code to 7, the FreeStyle Lite strip read 4 points lower lower.

Annie was standing next to me wondering what I was doing with HER meter, so I picked her up and ran a test on her blood:D:

AT code 6 = 245
FSL code 6 = 239

On this test, the FSL strip read 6 points lower than the AT. I just wish I had 4, or 5, boxes of FSL strips with the same batch number.

Craig

(testing is FUN)

OK, having a little more meter fun!

I bought four boxes of FSL strips about three weeks ago (all were the same lot number, so I might not have to test each box against the AlphaTrak2 test strips).

You might recall that my last box of FSL strips seemed to match the AlphaTrak2 strips when both style strips were used at code 6 (the number on the AT2 container). Todays test was just a little different:

AT2 code 6 = 163, 166
FSL code 5 = 167, 165
FSL code 6 = 157
FSL code 7 = 147

All tests were done using AlphaTrak Control Solution for consistency.

Looks like I'll be using code 5 for this batch of FSL strips.

I just noticed the difference between the AT strip today (163, 166) and the AT strip in the previous post (159). Guess either code 6, or 5, would be OK with the FSL strip. Can't get worried over just 6-9 point difference.

Craig

Patty 04-04-2014 05:06 PM

Great data Craig. Codes 5 or 6 are very close.

CraigM 05-13-2014 02:34 PM

Nothing really to report, but just thought I'd give a mini update on Annie.

She was running low on the tiny treats she gets as dessert (usually just one and I call it a part of her meal), so I stopped at our local pet store that has bins of locally made treats. As I approached the cashier, I spotted a rack of BEEF SCAPULA ( http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Shape-Beef.../dp/B00C1D7BKQ just to show what it is) and figured "what the heck, lets see how this messes with her BG"! Took a reading at noon: 233. Gave her the Scapula and watched her go crazy. It was nice seeing the 13 YO acting like a pup. After about an hour of carrying it around and chewing, she seemed to be loosing interest (maybe she was just worn out because she was dragging her tongue?:D) Retested at 1:15 and she had only dropped to 207. I thought she would have dropped more with the excitement, but I'm happy enough with the 207. I thought she was done with it, but when I sat down at the computer she brought it over and was pushing it against my leg. Played a little tug-a-scapula and that probably lowered her BG a little more:)

We are having a little four day heat wave with highs in the 80s so the allergies are kicking in. Annie's eyes were a little red which MIGHT be allergies, so we all took a Claritin and I'll check her eyes later this afternoon.

As I said, nothing really to report:)

Craig

Monsters Momma 05-13-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigM (Post 129597)
"what the heck, lets see how this messes with her BG"!

Craig

You crack me up!! :D

Any excuse to test your willing subject, eh Craig?! ;)

k9diabetes 05-13-2014 04:19 PM

The perfect update! :)

Patty 05-14-2014 05:38 AM

Great report! :)

amydunn19 05-14-2014 06:18 AM

No news is great news! We got in some cod skins (ewwww) and I tried one with Maggie. She loved it, rolled on it, ate it and no real effect on bg. She does kind of smell like fish food though......so fun to experiment !

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom 05-14-2014 06:28 AM

I love hearing "no news is good news" updates! We love Miss Annie-pants!