Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Annie & Craig - Getting too smart! (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1637)

stylynjm 04-09-2013 12:50 PM

Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Lol,Craig,u r tooooo funny.I love Annie's request for doggie tv:p

CraigM 04-10-2013 01:17 PM

Fun times are about to start. Annie's new One Touch Ultra2 just arrived in todays mail! She is curious how the OTU2 is going to compare to the AlphaTrak2 and ReliOn Prime.:D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uncfbu5tmzsbnwb/P4100002.JPG

The problem doing this testing is that we will have three boxes of test strips open. Guess we will just have to test more frequently!

Craig

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom 04-10-2013 01:19 PM

Annie has a wild weekend planned!

CraigM 04-10-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigM (Post 103350)
Fun times are about to start. Annie's new One Touch Ultra2 just arrived in todays mail! She is curious how the OTU2 is going to compare to the AlphaTrak2 and ReliOn Prime.:D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uncfbu5tmzsbnwb/P4100002.JPG

The problem doing this testing is that we will have three boxes of test strips open. Guess we will just have to test more frequently!

Craig

First impressions and test on MY blood.
OTU2 is a nice shape and size. Still requires a visual confirmation that the "code" is set correctly. Other newer meters (ReliOn Prime) don't have a code set / confirmation screen. I don't know if this is a plus, or minus.

The supplied lancets are near useless 31 gauge. Too thin for me, and probably way to thin for dogs. Stuck myself three times on the highest setting and it barely scratched my skin. Switched to a 25 gauge lancet and got a good blood droplet on my finger.

My blood test (Annie is napping):
OTU2 = 103
ReliOn Prime = 93

Of course one test doesn't tell much. Probably within allowed limits for consumer meters.

Will test Annie when she finishes her nap (SURPRISE!:eek:)

Craig

ps: The trouble with so many meters is that strips can go out of date. Discovered two boxes of strips in Annie's cabinet for the Infinity meter that went out of date last year:(

Linda1 04-10-2013 02:18 PM

I had some out of date strips that hadn't been opened. I decided to use them after doing a comparison blood check to a new strip. Didn't see a difference between the two, so used up all the old ones.

jesse girl 04-10-2013 03:05 PM

i have used many outdated strips which did seem to work also

i got a large batch of strips not expired on ebay i think it was 600 they were not expired and not one would suck up the blood in normal time which gave oddball readings mostly false lows

i sent them all back and got a refund my thought is they were in heat for an extended period of time so i do think about not ordering strips in the summer and would like to have enough to get us though to cooler times so we do stock up in winter and spring

Patty 04-10-2013 03:42 PM

You know, I did the same thing Jesse girl. Always tried to have enough in stock so I didn't have to worry about extreme hot/cold temps and shipping issues. I also tried to spread out the sources I got the strips from in case they were bad. Glad you could send yours back!

CraigM 04-10-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty (Post 103365)
You know, I did the same thing Jesse girl. Always tried to have enough in stock so I didn't have to worry about extreme hot/cold temps and shipping issues. I also tried to spread out the sources I got the strips from in case they were bad. Glad you could send yours back!

Yea, but you gotta remember to use them!:D. I've got three boxes of unopened AlphaTrak2 strips, and typically only use 2-3 a month. I'll likely use a few more this month doing comparisons with the OTU2.

jesse girl 04-10-2013 04:19 PM

oh yes craig that is the problem i had a friend who past and left jesse his insulin and testing supplies i have those strips to get though may then jesses prodigy strips need to get going in june threw july before expiration for the next batch its gets a bit complicated figuring so far in the future

when i buy them i have to take into account will this work with the quantity i am buying and time frame usually they are cheaper the closer they get to expiration the other point that you made can i use them before expiration i may test a bit more to use them up or go slightly past expiration which i have yet to see any deterioration of any kind that would be problematic

the only problem patty that i worry about is buying in quantity storing them for a period of time and then come up faulty i have tried some batches after that problem i had with the 600 but once opened they say the shelve life is not so good the friend who passed the strips he left were individually wrapped kind of nice . well i have not done a pre check for sometime now and so far knock on wood we have done good

Patty 04-27-2013 08:56 PM

How's your new toy (a.k.a. the One Touch) comparing, Craig?