Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Annie & Craig - Getting too smart! (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1637)

CraigM 06-14-2013 08:11 AM

Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abby's Mom (Post 108388)
Craig,

Goes to show that every dog is different, or perhaps the Health bar that you purchased may have had some molasses in them... I only buy the bacon and egg one.....but I typically will only give Abby 1/2 of the bar when I am giving her shot. Could have been the timing as well, when her insulin may have been waning.

Abby weighs about the same as Annie, I believe.

Barb

Exactly! I had actually given her a broken piece, less than 1/4 bar a few days ago, and didn't see any response. I gave the entire bar without much thought, just thought I was giving it to her about 4 hours prior to her "normal" nadir, and it would be OK. Yes, I've since looked at the label and it contains molasses, but it's the 7th ingredient, so I didn't think it would be much (could be wrong:o).

I have another, much smaller, treat that I give as "dessert", but not normally between meals, and only one or two after a meal. I just weighed these thumbnail sized treats and three of them weigh .1 oz. I re-weighed several Health Bars, and they weigh .6 oz each. So, one Health Bar would equal about 18 of her little treats. MY BAD! I would never give 18 of the little treats.

Of course, I'm assuming the big Health Bar is what caused the high number. Guess there could have been something else going on. I'm sure giving it as a routine part of the meal, as you do, would be fine

Craig

CraigM 06-14-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farrwf (Post 108392)
When her b/g shot up that high was she exhibiting the classic symptoms ... panting and excessive thirst?

Nope. We were home alone and she was snoozing on the sofa except when she went berserk when the school buses stopped in front of the house. Don't think she took a single sip of water during this time.

Craig

jesse girl 06-14-2013 08:18 AM

thats true craig you never really know where that sugar comes from

wish there was a way to test for that

Patty 06-15-2013 08:07 PM

That's a bit higher than the spike Ali got the time the cashier at Petco slipped her a treat before I could stop her. She was in the 400s within an hour. I'm thinking that cashier will always ask before offering treats after my disapproval. ;) Her comment had been that there wasn't any sugar in it... Carbs can be a real kicker with spiking bgs.

Carol & Milo 06-15-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigM (Post 107828)
AlphaTrak2 with AlphaTrak2 strips, coded 35 = 120
AlphaTrak2 with FSL strips, coded 35 = 149
AlphaTrak2 with FSL strips, coded 7 = 123 (gotta remember to return meter to 35 for the next AT2 strip test)

Craig

Which FSL strips were you using? The ones with the butterfly on the strip that look like the AT2 or the FSL that come in a blue box? I am asking because I let myself run out of AT2 strips and my order won't be here until next week. I have a one touch ultra mini that I can use, but it takes a huge blood drop.
It would be so much easier to find some FSL strips locally and take less of Milo's blood.

BTW....what stores sell the FSL strips?

Thanks Craig for posting the info and a Big Thanks to Annie :)

Carol

CraigM 06-16-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol & Milo (Post 108479)
Which FSL strips were you using? The ones with the butterfly on the strip that look like the AT2 or the FSL that come in a blue box? I am asking because I let myself run out of AT2 strips and my order won't be here until next week. I have a one touch ultra mini that I can use, but it takes a huge blood drop.
It would be so much easier to find some FSL strips locally and take less of Milo's blood.

BTW....what stores sell the FSL strips?

Thanks Craig for posting the info and a Big Thanks to Annie :)

Carol

The ones that look like the AlphaTrak2 strips. The ones I tested did not come in a standard box, the vial of strips was a part of the FreeStyle FREEDOM Lite kit. https://www.abbottdiabetescare.com/p...-overview.html

I think the box should have the butterfly, and mention the FreeStyle FREEDOM Lite. http://www.medicalsupplycorner.com/f...FY9eQgod9EwABA

I haven't shopped locally for these strips, but would guess most any pharmacy, even Walmart, would carry them.

Craig

ps: The above links were used just to show the images, I did not buy from these stores
pps: The FreeStyle FREEDOM Lite strips are pretty expensive at Walmart! http://www.walmart.com/ip/FreeStyle-...ndingMethod=rr

Carol & Milo 06-16-2013 12:54 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll head out tomorrow and see if I can find them. I have a Walgreens, Drug Emporium and WalMart close by....hopefully one of them will have the strips that I need.

Carol

stylynjm 06-23-2013 12:28 PM

Craig,
Do you give Annie fiber to raise or lower her numbers?? And do you know if glucosamine raises bg's??
I see miss Annie is keeping you testing, cause it's fun, lol. How cute is she;)

momofdecker 06-23-2013 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=stylynjm;108981] And do you know if glucosamine raises bg's??QUOTE]

We had tried human glucosamine with Decker and noted an immediate raise in bg. Ended up using the dog formulated cosequin (which, of course, is much more expensive) but it seemed to help him and did not raise his bg. We'd purchased it through the vet's office but have come to realize that you can buy cosequin at Petco, Petsmart, BJ's wholesale Club, etc...

CraigM 06-23-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylynjm (Post 108981)
Craig,
Do you give Annie fiber to raise or lower her numbers?? And do you know if glucosamine raises bg's??
I see miss Annie is keeping you testing, cause it's fun, lol. How cute is she;)

It seems that in Annie the extra fiber helps stop the big post meal spike she was getting, not sure if it has much bearing on the low end. I wouldn't be surprised if fiber slows digestion that it might also raise the lows a little (harder for me to tell).

Sorry, don't know about glucosamine, but the name itself (glucos...) seems to indicate it has glucose? Don't know.

Craig