Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Annie & Craig - Getting too smart! (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1637)

stylynjm 06-23-2013 03:11 PM

Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Thanks, yes, probably correct. Merrick 96% chicken has some in it, however, it is low on the list;)

stylynjm 06-24-2013 04:09 PM

Craig,
With the freestyle freedom lite strips, what do you use for a code???? With the purple alphatrak 2 meter

CraigM 06-24-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylynjm (Post 109049)
Craig,
With the freestyle freedom lite strips, what do you use for a code???? With the purple alphatrak 2 meter

I would use code 7 on the new AlphaTrak2 with the newest FreeStyle Lite strips, and see how it compares to real AlphaTrak2 strips (set to whatever the AT2 strip box recommends). Gotta be pretty fast with the hands to change strips, and change the code to test the same blood droplet:D.

I was at Walmart this morning and thought about getting a box of FreeStyle Lite (with the word "Freedom") strips, but was shocked at the price. Cheaper than AlphaTrak2 strips, but too expensive for me to buy there. Will have to shop online.

See posts #951 and 966 in this thread for a little more info.

Craig

CraigM 07-24-2013 09:09 AM

Boy, can Annie move when she sees food!;) We store about two weeks of her kibble in a kitchen canister, like what many would store flour, on the kitchen counter. I was a little clumsy this morning and knocked the open container over, spilling half the contents onto the floor. She got across the kitchen faster than I could drop to my knees! I estimated she might have gotten a dozen pieces of kibble, so I reduced her weighed breakfast by .1 ounce. Probably no harm done, and she seemed to have enjoyed the "picnic" on the kitchen floor.

She had an appointment with her eye vet last week. Her eye pressure was a little high, so she had her eye drops changed. Don't know if it was the high eye pressure, the change in eye drops, or just coincidence; but I've needed to reduce her "N" by 1/4 unit.

I won't bore everyone with our most recent AlphaTrak2 and FreeStyle Lite test strip testing except to say I've recently been coding the AT2 to 35. It seems that coding either 35 or 7 while using the FreeStyle Lite strips works OK. I would be interested if anyone else has tried FreeStyle Lite strips in an AlphaTrak2 (purple) meter. Especially if you have comparisons between the FreeStyle Lite and true AlphaTrak2 test strips.

Craig

Abby's Mom 07-24-2013 09:45 AM

Hi Craig,

I just purchased some, so I will let you know. I am getting ready to purchase another 200 of the AlphaTrak.... and I shudder over the costs. So I thought I would pick up 100 of these and see how they compare.

When I get them, I let you know. What type of readings are you getting in comparison?

Barb

stylynjm 07-24-2013 10:49 AM

LOL, I fear a similar event with Sissy. I can picture Annie scattering like crazy for food, how cute she is!!;)and if like Sissy, FAST!!!!!! :)

CraigM 07-24-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abby's Mom (Post 110833)
Hi Craig,

I just purchased some, so I will let you know. I am getting ready to purchase another 200 of the AlphaTrak.... and I shudder over the costs. So I thought I would pick up 100 of these and see how they compare.

When I get them, I let you know. What type of readings are you getting in comparison?

Barb

OK, everyone can blame Barb for me listing all this AlphaTrak2 (AT2) / FreeStyle Lite (FSL) info!:D I want to emphasize that the FSL strips are the newer version that mentions the FreeStyle FREEDOM Lite on the box. FSL35 means the AlphaTrak2 was coded to 35. FSL7 means the AlphaTrak2 was coded to 7. (I ignored the code 11 that was marked on the FSL strip container, besides the AT2 meter doesn't have a code 11! Skips from 10 to 12)

AT=95, FSL35=120, FSL7=83
AT=261, FSL35=265, FSL7=234
AT=349, FSL35=352, FSL7=347
AT=221, FSL35=221, FSL7=182
AT=97, FSL35=95, FSL7=88
AT=269, FSL35=292
AT=158, FSL35=155
AT=164, FSL35=165
AT=269, FSL35=260

The above tests were taken over several days. Although FSL7 was closer to the AT reading once or twice, setting to 35 seems to be closer more often, plus keeping the meter set to 35 prevents me from forgetting to switch the code back to 35 if I use a true AT strip (assuming the AT strips are going to be 35 into the future).

The third test (AT=349...) was high on purpose! Someone had asked if the strips read close to each other at higher numbers, or only in the lower range. I gave Annie a treat a couple of hours prior to this test to see how the strips would read on higher blood glucose. She enjoyed the treat and was back down to AT=221 the next morning.

Craig

jjefferjo 07-24-2013 11:30 AM

Craig I am currently using the freestyle lite- and will let you know I am off work fro a few more days so will do a bit of multiple testing

Abby's Mom 07-24-2013 11:51 AM

I am impressed, on how close the FSL strips are to the AT strips used in the AT meter.

Now you have me thinking if I purchased the correct strips. There are two different Freedom Lite Strips? The ones that I got work in the FreeStyle Freedom Lite meter... anyway, I suppose I will do my own test, with the FSL strips if they are not the correct one.

Barb

CraigM 07-24-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abby's Mom (Post 110853)
I am impressed, on how close the FSL strips are to the AT strips used in the AT meter.

Now you have me thinking if I purchased the correct strips. There are two different Freedom Lite Strips? The ones that I got work in the FreeStyle Freedom Lite meter... anyway, I suppose I will do my own test, with the FSL strips if they are not the correct one.

Barb

Sounds like you have the correct FSL strips. The older style (blue box without the word "Freedom") worked in the old (grey) AlphaTrak meter, but not sure the readings would be close in the new AT2 meter.

Craig