Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Annie & Craig - Getting too smart! (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1637)

Ladybug 07-04-2010 11:50 AM

Re: Annie is making the switch to NPH

Hi Craig!

They do learn quickly, don't they? And they don't forget a thing..LOL! I can do something with Ladybug maybe 2 or 3 times and BINGO, it suddenly becomes part of the routine whether I meant for it to be that way or not!

Dogs are a LOT smarter than we give them credit for...just wish they could talk! :)

Linda/Ladybug

CraigM 07-04-2010 12:06 PM

One other thing. Her numbers have trended upwards the last several weeks. I thought it was the UTI, and maybe it was, but her numbers have stayed higher than they had been. Then it hit me, the little piglet has gained two pounds! That's about a 12% gain, so obviously needs a little more "juice" of the NPH kind.

Time to sign her up for WeightWatchers!

Patty 07-04-2010 04:35 PM

Craig,
Annie is one smart girl! :D
Patty

CraigM 07-05-2010 08:09 AM

Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Looks like Annie has joined the picky eaters club. I've had to play with her and add a little chicken the last two days. Last night, she slowly picked out the pieces of chicken and left the kibble. Finally got her to eat after adding a teaspoon of chicken stock to the kibble. Even the added chicken stock doesn't entice her this morning. :confused:

I've read other posts on the forum where the "kids" just stop eating, never thought it would happen with Annie. So, is this likely just a taste thing, or should this be a reason to contact the vet?

Maybe she heard me refer to her as "piglet" in an earlier post and is just trying to thin herself down?! :D

CraigM 07-05-2010 08:28 AM

Fast update: I found a can of her old Venison & Rice in the back of the cupboard and have mixed two large tablespoons of that into her kibble. Of course for added aroma I microwaved it for 15 seconds! :)

She is eating it, not as fast as usual, but is at least eating. I just heard a burp from the kitchen, so that is a good sound.

Patty 07-05-2010 04:48 PM

Craig,
I hope Annie goes crazy for the new food you picked up today! :D
Patty

CraigM 07-05-2010 07:37 PM

Is my thinking correct that I should feed about the amount of BB Healthy Weight than she was getting of the Royal Canin?

BB Healthy Weight = 415 kcal/cup
Royal Canin = 198 kcal/cup

There is a lot I'm not sure about, but I think I'll see if she will eat the BB straight, maybe softened with a tablespoon of water. Being a cheepskate, I'm upset that we have a full bag of Royal Canin! :)

CraigM 07-05-2010 08:26 PM

I decided to just start with the BB recommendation of cup, twice a day, for a 16 pounder.

Here's the interesting thing. I weighed out the cup and it was 2.2 ounces. I had been giving Annie 2.5 ounces of the Royal Canin, and that was too much because she has gained weight. Guess I don't understand the kcal/cup figures (see my previous post).

Anyway, I just fed her the 2.2 ounces of BB and she seemed to like it. Ate without me playing games with her. Probably should have backed off the insulin a bit, but gave her the 8.5iu that we've been giving. I'll test her around midnight and set the alarm for around 4AM. Yea, should have made the switch in the morning instead of at 8PM. ;)

k9diabetes 07-05-2010 09:57 PM

In my experience, the bag recommendations are usually pretty high. We never fed Chris nearly as much as the bag recommended. He wasn't a very active dog so that may have been part of it.

You're right - you'd feed half as much BB to give her the same number of calories.

We found that if you kept the calorie amount the same the insulin dose generally didn't change.

Natalie

CarolW 07-06-2010 01:49 AM

Craig - looking forward to your next numbers report!

Tue, 6 Jul 2010 01:48:52 (PDT)