Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

stylynjm 10-09-2012 08:48 PM

Re: Sissy's Mom

I don't always test before food,I often test after food,before insulin.r both Important or is before food better? The vet had me teasing 1 hr after food,before insulin.occasionally,Sissy would be low after food before insulin,but not lately.I just didn't k.ow any different!! I'm learning so much from all of u:)

Rubytuesday 10-09-2012 08:53 PM

Don't worry, we all have gone through the same process of figuring it all out. You're doing fine.

But yes you definitely want to test before food. I would then wait the 1/2 hr. and then inject. No real reason to test after unless you are concerned, doing spot checks or running a curve. If you do run spot checks it helps if you keep the times the same so you can compare easier. For instance always at six hrs. post insulin ect. random tests are very hard to make sense of...at least for me.;)

Tara

stylynjm 10-09-2012 09:10 PM

Good plan.I check random and it does get confusing. Do u always test before food?? Is that because that's when u give I.ailing?? I like the idea of giving insulin sooner. Will start to marrow. Should I stick with 6 units to see what changing time does to days numbers??

Rubytuesday 10-09-2012 09:34 PM

I think the auto correct or something messed up a word?

The reason you test before food and insulin is because you want to see where the bgs come to rest after no food and insulin have been given for twelve hrs.

The other time that can be important to check is the nadir (insulin is strongest so bgs are lowest). With the Nonolin the nadir TYPICALLY....happens around 6 hrs. If your dog isn't typical it may occur at a different time. Doing the curve will help to see when it is occurring.

Not current enough on your thread to say whether you should do the 6 or 6 1/2. You did the 6 1/2 tonight, so you could decide on the dose based on what the fasting (before food and insulin) was in the morning. Over 200 and you should be okay to give the 6 1/2. It doesn't hurt though to be conservative. I think the picture will change for you testing before food and injecting earlier, so it might be good to play it safe with the lesser dose.

Sorry I can't be more help, I just am not familiar with your numbers and need to get some shut eye.

Tara

stylynjm 10-09-2012 10:24 PM

Lol,big help,and me too with the shut eye. Thanks:):)

stylynjm 10-10-2012 08:17 AM

Moved sissy's units to 6 1/2 last night.she tested 546 !!! I am continuing with 6 1/2 units novolin n.she was 304 this a.m. before food. Also,she now gets insulin 45 no.it's a after food,Instead of 1 hour. Baby steps,Lolol.I'm getting there.will. post how the day goes.:):):):)

Cebe 10-10-2012 08:49 AM

Why do you wait before giving her the insulin?

Rubytuesday 10-10-2012 09:28 AM

Here would be an experiment for you to show you in real numbers why we are encouraging you to move the injection time closer to feeding time. Test before food as you did today, good job, and then test right before you give the insulin to see how much the BGs have jumped with food. I think that might help you feel more comfortable about it.

There is not only the food without insulin, but the fact that the body is rising even without food due to the last injection being 12 hrs. old.

Tara

stylynjm 10-10-2012 09:46 AM

Typically,she goes up about 200 points after food. I think about the same this a.m. she was 400 two hrs after insulin.if she follows what I think to be her pattern,she will be at low about 4 -5 hrs after insulin. She is on 3rd day of novolin, and first full day at 6. 1/2 units. Sort for typos,am working of smartphone.!

stylynjm 10-10-2012 09:49 AM

Cebe, that's all I knew,its what the vet said to do. Lol,I am starting to understand a better way.:):):) thanks to all of u !!