Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

Yulismum 09-26-2012 10:49 AM

Re: Personality change makes me sad:(:(

Hi and welcome.

I am just learning but you will get lots of help from the forum.

Humans can get depression with diabetes. Dogs can get depressed or she may be picking up vibes from you. She may also just be feeling rotten with the condition.

My dog is definitely feeling more like his old self. Hang in there she will improve as you get things under control.

Judi 09-26-2012 11:05 AM

hang in there, it will get better. I can definitely tell a difference in Jenny's personality based on where her blood sugar is. When she is back though she is BACK! LOL

Your vet may be discouraging exercise because he is trying for regulation but if a walk will make her happy and you can check her to make sure her blood sugar hasn't gone low, I'd do it.

stylynjm 09-26-2012 11:33 AM

Thank u all. I am going to go with some of ur ideas.she is running high this week,was just 355.last week she was running 70-140!!!!!! Nothing has changed. What is going on??? She and I both need a little walk when it cools off....:):):):)

jesse girl 09-26-2012 02:36 PM

just to put it out as a possibility your baby might be getting to much insulin for what her body likes a clue for jess is giving more insulin makes the numbers more erratic and getting worse with each adjustment higher multiple curves from different doses can help with that and you can post them

you show numbers from 140 to 70 yes that is good but maybe in a range that is to low for her wright now my jesse does not seem to like those low 100s for an extended period of time and what happens her body releases sugar from a protective response thinking she may go to low and she bounces back up very quickly sometimes a 100 points in an hour

now she doesnt go as high as the 300s or 400s anymore maybe high 200s i think her body has a little better control over sugar dumping but that took some time

jesses tail did not come up too 12 o'clock till after about a year after diagnosis insulin and the disease was very hard on her at the beginning and for sometime but she slowly improved

it would be nice to let her explore her world a bit you may want to walk when insulin is at its weakest for us it is hour 10 or 11 after shot some dogs are the opposite. if walking always carry some liquid sugar just in case

k9diabetes 09-26-2012 03:23 PM

It sounds like Sissy desperately needs to have a curve done so you can know what her blood sugar is doing throughout the day instead of having to guess.

Would it be possible to do one ASAP?

You could use Freestyle Lite Strips with your AlphaTrak meter and get a general idea what's happening if you are unable to get the AlphaTrak strips right away.

Even though the readings from the FLS strips may be somewhat off of actual, they would be close enough to tell you whether her blood sugar is going through a roller coaster of highs and lows, going too low, staying high all day.

With your description of her lack of energy, for example, that can come from both high blood sugar and low blood sugar. It is dangerous if the blood sugar is high enough to create ketones and especially dangerous if her blood sugar is going very low. So it's really important to know what is actually happening.

Natalie

stylynjm 09-26-2012 04:15 PM

I have 14 strips to last until Oct 3rd. Income problem. I know, I could do the curve, but then would not have them for the week. I have wondered many times whether she is on to much insulin. However, 4 days ago she was 134, 179, 148 from 10 am to 10 pm!!!! Today she was 355 at 11 am, 335 at 1 pm and 307 at 3:30 pm. She got Insulin at 7 am. Any ideas?

I have wanted to lower her insulin,but vet keeps wanting to raise it. What would happen if I lowered by 1 unit am and pm??

stylynjm 09-26-2012 05:17 PM

Sissy has very yellow urine. Would that indicate to much or to little insulin.. I think I might do a 16 hr curve tomarrow and take my chances on just a few strips for the weekend.

k9diabetes 09-26-2012 05:19 PM

The urine is concentrated, which leans toward lower blood sugar. When the blood sugar is high, they tend to be very thirsty and wash the sugar out so the urine will be weak and straw colored.

But.... (there's always a but, isn't there? LOL)...

Some dogs don't get very thirsty with blood sugar in the 300s. Ours didn't. He wouldn't start drinking a lot of water until his blood sugar was staying above 450 for some time.

Is she drinking a lot of water?

Is she urinating often?

Higher blood sugar can be a sign of a urinary tract infection, which is common in diabetic dogs because of the sugar in the bladder.

Natalie

stylynjm 09-26-2012 05:47 PM

Her numbers today in 300's except for just now before supper 283. She does not drink or pee a lot anymore.Lolol to exceptions. She is holding weight now too.:):)

stylynjm 09-26-2012 05:49 PM

Signs of urinary tract infections????