Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

jesse girl 09-26-2012 06:01 PM

Re: Personality change makes me sad:(:(

what i look for in a clue to maybe to much insulin if your getting big fluctuations in blood sugar highs and lows if you get consistent numbers say in the 300s then it is possible for a need for more insulin

as natalie said there are buts and since you have seen numbers in a lower range its possible this is temporary and if the body did respond to a lower range with higher numbers that can stay in the system a bit giving the impression of higher numbers and if there is an infection that can lead to higher number also and once gone insulin needs can decrease

the only way you can determine this as you know is more testing its good you do take into account of the lower range and nothing wrong in being cautious . well it might be a good idea keeping your strips spot check at normal times and fasting until you are able to get more

now there are discount meters out there for us people who have limited funds i am able to get jesses strips on ebay from 5 to 10 dollars for 50 you just need to compare and if and check consistency in low range ( priority) and high range you maybe able to afford a bit more testing in the end it may save you allot of money in vet bills

stylynjm 09-26-2012 06:42 PM

Thank u for the strip info.I checked freestyle and one touch and the strips r more than alphatrak her numbers have gone down all day.!!!! Isn't that backwards.???? She is due for insulin at 7 pm and I am very confused about numbers going down all day sams not up???????

jesse girl 09-26-2012 06:49 PM

if the numbers are in a lower range coming off some highs as i said it might point to a need for less insulin you definitely dont want to raise many times vets do not catch these things because testing is so infrequent but as we discussed and your concerns he was in a lower range just a short time ago

so you can try a lower dose but if insulin has been dropping all day it is possible he will spike up with any amount of insulin

jesse girl 09-26-2012 06:59 PM

another factor is being lethargic my jesse was overdosed in the beginning and she didnt budge till after her sugar spiked up sometimes that can be another clue

stylynjm 09-26-2012 08:41 PM

Jesse girl,what meter you use. I understand calibration to the alphatrak so I would have an idea about range. What one has worked for u.wow,what a deal on strips.I have spent 200.00 this month on strips.!!!! Thank u so much for great input. This forum is far more info than vet! :)

jesse girl 09-26-2012 09:05 PM

i have used the prodigy auto code its the talking meter i bought the meter on ebay usually comes with a 100 strips i paid 30 something it has been consistent for us but i dont know of anyone else using it

like i said we cant afford the alpha track for the amount of testing jesse needs to keep her safe 4 times a day

check out on ebay i believe amazon carrys it too but ebay is cheaper you can always compare with your alpha track takes very little blood also

remeber a meter does not need to be perfect just consistent

stylynjm 09-26-2012 09:30 PM

Thanks so much.yes,with a lot of testing the alphatrak is to expensive.I believe someone else on here said they use one touch ultra and just the alphatrak for curves. That might work as I have it,but must find a cheaper solution for everyday. I will check out eBay!!!

CraigM 09-26-2012 09:53 PM

You might consider the Walmart ReliOn Prime. The test strips are only 18 cents each, compared to over a dollar for the AlphaThak2.

http://www.relion.com/diabetes/blood...g/relion-prime

I use both the Prime and AlphaTrak2. As with most human meters, the Prime reads lower than the AlphaTrak2, but it is easy to figure out a fairly accurate conversion (percentage difference).

stylynjm 09-26-2012 10:40 PM

Craig,thank u so much.I will go check it out tomarrow.I will use both strips with one blood sample and go from there. Sounds like a good solution.I will do a full 16 hr curve next Thursday and post results with alphatrak.!! All of u have been volumes of info. I don't k.ow how I would get through this without this forum.I don't feel so alone in this journey.

CraigM 09-26-2012 10:58 PM

Just don't get in a panic when you use a human meter after using the AlphaTrak and see much lower readings:). Just as an example when I compare my AlphaTrak2 reading of 108 to the ReliOn Prime I might see 70.