Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

stylynjm 09-26-2012 11:05 PM

Re: Personality change makes me sad:(:(

So u figure it runs around 30 pts lower. If I can get it tomarrow,I will do the curve Friday!!

CraigM 09-26-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylynjm (Post 87251)
So u figure it runs around 30 pts lower. If I can get it tomarrow,I will do the curve Friday!!

Best if you do your own testing:). I get both meters ready and test the same blood droplet with both meters.

I then divide the human meter reading by the AlphaTrak2 reading to get percentage difference. Example: Prime 70 divided by AlphaTrak2 108 = 0.65

I would do this side-by-side test at least 10 times and take the average. I would throw out any tests over 400ish because they are too high and might throw off the accuracy. Best if you had about 10 pairs of numbers between 100 - 250 (Alphatrak2)

Then, I divide any reading I see on the human meter by the conversion factor (.65 in this example) to get an AlphaTrak equalvancy.

Every few weeks I run a side-by-side test with the AlphaTrak to be sure the conversion is still valid.

stylynjm 09-27-2012 07:48 AM

Craig,thank u so much for ur explanation. I will do that. I am looking forward to ur expertise after I can post her curve numbers. Again,thanks so much

stylynjm 09-27-2012 01:24 PM

Has anyone had trouble switching from Walmart humilin n to novolin n.???? The Walmart here only carries novolin n now. R there any differences????

jesse girl 09-27-2012 01:52 PM

i would not worry about it to much jesse had to change from pet insulin (vetsilin) in the first 2 weeks of diagnosis then a few months later she had to switch to humiliun under the relion brand each had little impact i think the humilun was a bit more milder so a small reduction maybe a good idea give the normal 3 to 5 days and reevaluate

if your pup is on the higher side i would just keep it the same

stylynjm 09-27-2012 02:29 PM

Thanks for the info. 80.00 vs 25.00 is a big jump!!! Wow,she doesn't need this right now. Even Costco is high for humilin!!!!

stylynjm 09-30-2012 03:43 PM

Re: curve timing

The vet wants to up sissys insulin to 7 units am and pm. Would it be a good idea to do a good curve at 6 1/2 to see where she really is at before I raise again,or try to raise,wait a week and then do curve?? Last time we tried 7 she got to low and I had to back off to 6 1/2. She has been high the last 3 days.random tests from 250-450. Any suggestions will help.!!

jesse girl 09-30-2012 03:54 PM

thats the conundrum the higher dose saw some low numbers but maybe the need has gone up but it has not been very long at a higher range

the thing about going slower is if this is just temporary your not trying to reduce from a larger amount of insulin if the needs decrease

there are times mostly rare in nature to raise much faster but what you have posted is not that case

so it makes sense as you suggested to go a bit slower most times you as the caretaker has the answer but its nice to bounce the idea around a bit and maybe get a consensus

stylynjm 09-30-2012 04:52 PM

I had wanted to do a curve on Thursday at 6 1/2 and see what is going on. haven't done a good curve since she was first on insulin.would it help and give some info with the help of all of u, or would it be a waste??

Cebe 09-30-2012 04:54 PM

Absolutely! Sounds like a curve is overdue! :)