Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

stylynjm 10-12-2012 10:38 AM

Re: Sissy's Mom

Thanks all,tomarrow is curve day.looking forward to collecting I.formation and hopefully being able to make some positive changes, with ur help,that will help Sissy be as good as possible.:):):):):)

stylynjm 10-12-2012 10:42 AM

Any tips on doing a curve????

Cebe 10-12-2012 11:01 AM

Thanks Ruby! :)

A curve:

The first test is done right before food and shot ("fasting"), then the next is done 2 hours later, and then again 2 hours later until you get to the next fasting time, right before food and shot. Take that test too, then you're done.

I tend to put the 2 hr increments as appointments on my phone so I have a little beep remind me. It's easy to forget the next test. But, there's also some leeway. It doesn't have to be precisely 120 minutes, just about every two hours.

Then post the results here. :) Good luck!

stylynjm 10-12-2012 11:58 AM

Would it help to do every hr when I think she is peaking,where I really don't know.like maybe between 4-8 hrs,or until I see her going up?? She was 397 this a.m.fasting,with alphatrak. Then,at 11:00 she was 167 on prime,so lower.

stylynjm 10-12-2012 12:02 PM

How do u all warm up the insulin,it is sooooooo cold!

Cebe 10-12-2012 12:43 PM

I don't warm the insulin for my dog - poor girl, but others will draw the insulin, cap the syringe, and then place it between their lips or under their armpit for a few minutes to help warm it a bit.

I don't know if you need to do hourly testing, but there's certainly nothing wrong with it. I did that one time myself when I wanted to get a better look at Zoe's dip.

stylynjm 10-12-2012 01:31 PM

Thanks for that!! Look forward to posting curve tomarrow:):):)

stylynjm 10-13-2012 08:38 AM

Started curve this a.m, eeeck,and by mistake,gave insulin 20 minutes after food!!!! Lol,it might be a good thing,but I was nervous about it,has u all know.:) question,what would be to high an amount of insulin?? Is there a general rule for the amount u should use per weight of dog?? What would u do,change type of insulin??? Or add something else,r ??? Just ????'s. It seems for sissys weight she gets a lot. 6 1/2 units 2 x's a day.

Cebe 10-13-2012 09:32 AM

20 min is generally not a big deal.

You have lots of questions but the thing that's going to give you the best information to answer those questions is a completed curve. So get that accomplished today and then you can evaluate the next step.

Yes there is a formula based on the weight of the dog. I don't know what it is, and it's not precise in my view. My dog gets less than the recommended amount for her weight. Each dog is different.

buddingartist 10-13-2012 09:45 AM

Ditto on what Cebe said.

My Buddy weighed 20ish pounds and was getting 11 units twice a day. Cushing, Addison, thyroid problems, etc, etc, all were eliminated.

Good luck with the curve.

Louise