Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

CraigM 10-07-2012 10:43 AM

Re: Sissy's Mom

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylynjm (Post 88685)
Sissy is in the 100's this am!! Wouldn't u know it. Tomarrow morning we start novolin n. She has been on 6 1/2 units humilin n. Considering her running 100's today,how much would u cut the initial days dose.?????

Assuming she doesn't drop below 100ish, I'd probably only reduce by 1/2 unit. I'd do the small reduction just for peace of mind, as long as you test once or twice during the day you'd see if she was heading lower than you like.

You are doing great!

stylynjm 10-07-2012 11:31 AM

Thank u for the vote a confidence.it really helps to have all of u pup moms and dads!! I will check her again today and in morning, after food before first novolin,just to k.ow where she is at .

Shellie 10-07-2012 12:03 PM

I know! Isn't it great to have so many friends to help out?! And everyone really does understand what you are going thru! That makes it so much better! You really are doing great and can't wait to see where Sissy's numbers are going! :) Good luck tomorrow! hugs!

stylynjm 10-07-2012 01:07 PM

Thanks shellie, I am a wreck about tomarrow.:(:( there is an thread about the switch from novolin to humilin causing lower numbers. Do u know if the humilin or the novolin were causing the lower numbers.?????;;? Thanks for the hugs:):):) just what I needed.:):)

stylynjm 10-07-2012 02:11 PM

When all of u track, what kinds of things do u track??? I do numbers and time,food,and amount of insulin and time. R there other things I should track????

jesse girl 10-07-2012 02:36 PM

the type of curve how consistent it is over time when is the lowest point in the day and is that consistent which is important if you are running low and maybe got an hour left till you start seeing a rise you may not need to intervene with some liquid sugar or you know the last 2 hours of a drop only sees for example maybe only 30 points and your pup is at 120 you once again may not have to worry about it

early on maybe you want to be a bit more conservative because the patterns and trends are not that well established

buddingartist 10-07-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylynjm (Post 88719)
When all of u track, what kinds of things do u track??? I do numbers and time,food,and amount of insulin and time. R there other things I should track????

If you mean by that the information for your <journal<, I used to track the weather, if we had company, if we left him alone, how many bowel movements, how many pees, days on insulin bottle, vaccines, etc, anything at all that you think may affect Sissy's numbers.

Louise

stylynjm 10-07-2012 03:59 PM

Wow,thanks. As I am starting. Novolin tomarrow,I will keep a more complete record.also,there was a thread about humilin n or novolin n lowering #'s. Do any of u know which one was causing lower numbers. I was confused!! Thank u again for guidance.!!!! It all helps so much.what do people do without this outstanding group of friends:):)

stylynjm 10-08-2012 04:06 PM

Well,Sissy and I made it through the first novolin dose. I gave hee 6 units.so far today her numbers have been about typical, all though this am,after food before insulin she was 450.not to uncommon for an after food reading.then she was 148 at 10a.m. 134 at 11 a.m. and 258 at 1 p.m. I am going to test again before food or insulin,and then a few hrs after insulin. What about staying with the six units for a day or two to see what she does????

Shellie 10-08-2012 10:40 PM

That sounds quite reasonable. A day or two before going back up wouldn't hurt just to be sure! Hugs!

stylynjm 10-09-2012 12:41 PM

Thanks shellie,I will go back up tomrrow if today stays ok.:) for anyone that uses a human meter how do u account for highs and lows,seeing they run lower than the dog meter.how do u know ur safe zone???

jesse girl 10-09-2012 02:29 PM

i have always treated the numbers as is on her humane meter and has worked well for jesse

understanding her trends and physical symptoms helps allot if she is in a lower range and i know we are getting close or slowing of any drops i will not intervene and leave things alone but will keep an eye on things

stylynjm 10-09-2012 06:01 PM

That makes sense.Sissy is so mellow,it is hard to know how she is always. I'm still learning.!!!!

Rubytuesday 10-09-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylynjm (Post 88862)
Well,Sissy and I made it through the first novolin dose. I gave hee 6 units.so far today her numbers have been about typical, all though this am,after food before insulin she was 450.not to uncommon for an after food reading.then she was 148 at 10a.m. 134 at 11 a.m. and 258 at 1 p.m. I am going to test again before food or insulin,and then a few hrs after insulin. What about staying with the six units for a day or two to see what she does????

That is quite a range from the high to the low. I may have missed it, but do you have a recent curve or could you do one once you have been on the same dose of the Novolin for at least 3 days? Wondering if there might be a way to even things out a bit.

Tara

CraigM 10-09-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubytuesday (Post 88998)
That is quite a range from the high to the low. I may have missed it, but do you have a recent curve or could you do one once you have been on the same dose of the Novolin for at least 3 days? Wondering if there might be a way to even things out a bit.

Tara

She has been waiting an hour after the meals before she injects the insulin. I think she plans to move the insulin up to 30 minutes after eating (I encourage moving the injection closer to meal time).

stylynjm 10-09-2012 06:57 PM

Would love to get it evened out!!!! I think I will return to 6 1/2 units tomarrow if tonite r high. Then I plan a curve sat or sun.then I will post curve and am hoping to get some guidance with evening her out. Thanks so much

stylynjm 10-09-2012 07:18 PM

Wow,I just gave her 6 1/2, she was 546!!!!!!!! On AT2.

Rubytuesday 10-09-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigM (Post 89002)
She has been waiting an hour after the meals before she injects the insulin. I think she plans to move the insulin up to 30 minutes after eating (I encourage moving the injection closer to meal time).

Are you waiting an hour after feeding for a specific concern?

Some folks wait a short amount of time if they think the dog will vomit or not eat the full meal. I wouldn't wait any more then 1/2 hr. like Craig suggests. I actually always inject before feeding. Ruby has a great appetite and with her megae causing regurge unto 4 hours post feeding the 1/2 wait wouldn't help us there. Fortunately she practically never regurges and if she does it is just a little spit. Not like the old days when it was 4 x daily projectile full meals...usually over my shoulder or on my husbands head.:eek:

Injecting sooner then the hour after feeding I bet will go a long ways to evening out. The insulin can take up to 1 1/2 hrs. to start working, paired with 1 hr after food may be the reason you are seeing that 400.

Tara

stylynjm 10-09-2012 07:57 PM

The only reason is that's the way the vet started us out.we started insulin July 20th.she never told me to change,but after all I've learned form all of u,I'm thinking 30 minutes would help.should I give the 6 1/2 a couple of days first????

Rubytuesday 10-09-2012 08:22 PM

My recommendation would be to give the insulin within 1/2 hr after eating. The only reason I would hold off was if I saw a low reading, but even then 1hr. might be too long. Remember though, this is from a person who injects before food and whose dog skyrockets without insulin...intermediate and fast- big food rise.

So I would do that regardless of what dose you are doing.

Do you test before feeding? That is one of the most important numbers to have.

Tara

stylynjm 10-09-2012 08:48 PM

I don't always test before food,I often test after food,before insulin.r both Important or is before food better? The vet had me teasing 1 hr after food,before insulin.occasionally,Sissy would be low after food before insulin,but not lately.I just didn't k.ow any different!! I'm learning so much from all of u:)

Rubytuesday 10-09-2012 08:53 PM

Don't worry, we all have gone through the same process of figuring it all out. You're doing fine.

But yes you definitely want to test before food. I would then wait the 1/2 hr. and then inject. No real reason to test after unless you are concerned, doing spot checks or running a curve. If you do run spot checks it helps if you keep the times the same so you can compare easier. For instance always at six hrs. post insulin ect. random tests are very hard to make sense of...at least for me.;)

Tara

stylynjm 10-09-2012 09:10 PM

Good plan.I check random and it does get confusing. Do u always test before food?? Is that because that's when u give I.ailing?? I like the idea of giving insulin sooner. Will start to marrow. Should I stick with 6 units to see what changing time does to days numbers??

Rubytuesday 10-09-2012 09:34 PM

I think the auto correct or something messed up a word?

The reason you test before food and insulin is because you want to see where the bgs come to rest after no food and insulin have been given for twelve hrs.

The other time that can be important to check is the nadir (insulin is strongest so bgs are lowest). With the Nonolin the nadir TYPICALLY....happens around 6 hrs. If your dog isn't typical it may occur at a different time. Doing the curve will help to see when it is occurring.

Not current enough on your thread to say whether you should do the 6 or 6 1/2. You did the 6 1/2 tonight, so you could decide on the dose based on what the fasting (before food and insulin) was in the morning. Over 200 and you should be okay to give the 6 1/2. It doesn't hurt though to be conservative. I think the picture will change for you testing before food and injecting earlier, so it might be good to play it safe with the lesser dose.

Sorry I can't be more help, I just am not familiar with your numbers and need to get some shut eye.

Tara

stylynjm 10-09-2012 10:24 PM

Lol,big help,and me too with the shut eye. Thanks:):)

stylynjm 10-10-2012 08:17 AM

Moved sissy's units to 6 1/2 last night.she tested 546 !!! I am continuing with 6 1/2 units novolin n.she was 304 this a.m. before food. Also,she now gets insulin 45 no.it's a after food,Instead of 1 hour. Baby steps,Lolol.I'm getting there.will. post how the day goes.:):):):)

Cebe 10-10-2012 08:49 AM

Why do you wait before giving her the insulin?

Rubytuesday 10-10-2012 09:28 AM

Here would be an experiment for you to show you in real numbers why we are encouraging you to move the injection time closer to feeding time. Test before food as you did today, good job, and then test right before you give the insulin to see how much the BGs have jumped with food. I think that might help you feel more comfortable about it.

There is not only the food without insulin, but the fact that the body is rising even without food due to the last injection being 12 hrs. old.

Tara

stylynjm 10-10-2012 09:46 AM

Typically,she goes up about 200 points after food. I think about the same this a.m. she was 400 two hrs after insulin.if she follows what I think to be her pattern,she will be at low about 4 -5 hrs after insulin. She is on 3rd day of novolin, and first full day at 6. 1/2 units. Sort for typos,am working of smartphone.!

stylynjm 10-10-2012 09:49 AM

Cebe, that's all I knew,its what the vet said to do. Lol,I am starting to understand a better way.:):):) thanks to all of u !!

Cebe 10-10-2012 11:03 AM

If your dog doesn't have a habit of throwing up the food, I recommend giving the shot right after she finishes eating. It seems like your dog processes her food rather quickly. My dog, on the other hand is slowwww. With such a quick absorption, you need to get that insulin in at the time food is eaten so it can combat the rise and start working sooner. You might find a real difference with this small change.

stylynjm 10-10-2012 11:53 AM

Lol,shows what I know.I thought she was processing food (dco kibble) slow and that's why her numbers were staying high!!!! Will try insulin sooner in a.m.!!:):)again,bless this forum!

stylynjm 10-10-2012 03:01 PM

Numbers for Sissy today.
9 a.m. - 400
11a.m. -221
1 p.m.- 243
3. P.m. - 280

Insulin. Was at 7 a.m., so she peaked between 11 and 1 ????? 4-6 hrs. Is that good ??? Or to early. I will do insulin sooner in a.m.!!

stylynjm 10-10-2012 03:05 PM

When I do insulin tomarrow 30 minutes after food,will it change peak,lower more or what?????

jesse girl 10-10-2012 03:05 PM

that's about normal my jesses drop slows down at hour 4 and is done by hour 6 maybe the earlier shot may help if you can get that 400 down you may see very nice numbers

Cebe 10-10-2012 03:07 PM

It's neither too early or too late. It just is. Don't worry about trying to move the peak. What is needed is less of a drop and lower numbers overall. But let's see what happens when you give food and shot closer together. :-)

CraigM 10-10-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylynjm (Post 89122)
Numbers for Sissy today.
9 a.m. - 400
11a.m. -221
1 p.m.- 243
3. P.m. - 280

Insulin. Was at 7 a.m., so she peaked between 11 and 1 ????? 4-6 hrs. Is that good ??? Or to early. I will do insulin sooner in a.m.!!

Insulin peak could have been before 11 and she was already heading up with the 221. Actually, not really any significant difference between 221 and 243. Anyway, you might hold the insulin steady for another day? I imagine the 5pm is going to be high, will you try to inject right after the meal?

There is no right, or wrong insulin peak. Some dogs might peak early, like in only 2-3 hours; others peak around 6 hours; still others peak shortly before the next meal (11-12 hours).

stylynjm 10-10-2012 05:18 PM

I'm going to do 30 minutes after meal and stay at 6 1/2 units.should I still so curve Saturday as I planned? Sorry if this double posts,having trouble getting this to go through.!!

Rubytuesday 10-10-2012 06:34 PM

If I remember corectly this is the 2nd day on 6 1/2? Then Saturday would be ok to curve. You can doa curve anywhere from 3-5 days after a dose change. As the numbers get closer to ideal you may want to let the doses settle in for a bit longer.

Try to keep things as consistent as possible three days prior to curving.

I look forward to it.

Tara

stylynjm 10-10-2012 07:02 PM

:):) can't wait to do it. Way over due. Sat will be 4th full day at 6 1/2, but she was on 6 1/2 for awhile before. Only 6 for 3 doses when I changed to novolin.