Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

Eddie 07-08-2013 06:45 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny

Glad things seem to be on track for you.

We use dried liver treats also. Eddie will nag me to do his test so that he gets his treat as he loves them so much!
I think with quite big dogs they are unlikely to be very sensitive to a modest sized treat of almost any description so I would be inclined to stick to whatever he finds the tastiest. It is a huge benefit to have a co-operative dog for testing!
Antonia

Monsters Momma 07-08-2013 07:12 AM

Funny thing, Vinny will eat anything that isn't rice! We found out the rice thing when he had to go on a bland diet some time ago and the vet recommended cooked rice. Nope, Vinny would just walk away! ;)

This weekend I was making pasta salad and both dogs wanted peppers, zucchini, whatever we were chopping up! Oh and now our younger boy Bogey, won't eat his food without whatever veggie Vinny is getting with his! :rolleyes:

I found the post I was looking for on green beans...now to find the one on the Newman treats. :)

peggy0 07-08-2013 09:12 AM

http://www.newmansownorganics.com/pe...php#dog_treats

I gave forbin newmans treats. Here's a link to the nutrition/ingredients

Monsters Momma 07-09-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyL (Post 109664)
Tight regulation is a great thing IF you're always going to be home with him... Such as catching the lows. I for one work full time and both my dogs go in and out as they please. Which means barking and running the fence with the mailman, ups guy, squirrels etc. and you know what all that can do to a bg!!

Sandy

I got to thinking about this today and I realized that I really don't know what all of that does to BG! :confused: My husband and I both work full-time and we're fortunate that our daughter is at home right now, but she won't be starting next week. Vinny will be free to bark at whatever moves outside, including deliveries. And since he has been feeling better, he has been wanting to play with Bogey more, generally rough housing and chasing each other around the yard. What does this do to the BG? I don't want to stop him from being a dog and enjoying life.

Judi 07-09-2013 07:09 AM

every dog is different. Additional exercise/activity has different effects depending on where they are in their insulin cycle.

Most of the time additional exercise lowers their blood sugar. That is why Sandy runs Tiggy a little high.

If it is getting towards the end of their 12 hours where they are running out of insulin, exercise can raise their blood sugar. I haven't seen that as often but it happens.

Jessegirl found a pet food/treat dispenser that you can set to go off at a certain time. Hers pops up mid-day I think and Jesse gets a treat even though her mom is at work.

That is why curves during their normal routine at home help.

When my husband is home with my dogs all day Jenny gets a lot more exercise so she needs less insulin or she would drop too low.

I'm not too good at explaining this. I hope it helps a little!

jesse girl 07-09-2013 07:51 AM

what you like to do is get some test before and after running around and see how he reacts different times is good to

once again more information is better

your dog may balance insulin and exercise very well and from your post it appears to be that way but we dont want to be complacent

as judi suggested we have an automatic dog feeder for jesse to get a mid morning snack when i am not home and i also do it when i am home just to keep the routine

maladuca 07-09-2013 08:27 AM

What did you find out about the green beans? I bought a can of low sodium, rinsed them and froze them. I noticed the can said 1 g of sugar. Today I bought frozen beans and when I got home I noticed it has 2 g of sugar. Did you find out if they need to be cooked first and then refrozen?

I'm also going to boil some chicken and freeze in smaller packets. Should be a good treat for BG testing time.

Abby's Mom 07-09-2013 09:14 AM

Abby use to be a treat-aholic (well, how about she still it), so trying to find something that will not raise, was an trial, and keep a relatively happy dog.

I get thin slices of chicken breast, and individually wrap them and freeze them. When I need one, I boil it, and then baggie it and place it in the fridge. I give these out, when people come over, when I need to coax her, when I test her, and I don't want to raise her levels at all. It sounds frequent, but I really give small amounts, amount the size of a 1/2 dime.

I give her about 1/2 Blue Buffalo Healthy bars (bacon and cheese do not have any molasses), during shot time(it takes a while to crunch through those), and lately I give 2 Nutro peanut butter treats, with some honey on it, right before a walk. These only have 8 calories each. I had found she would run out of insulin too early, because she would go way to low during our walk.

So you can see, quite a few treats for a small spoiled doggie. ;)

Barb

SandyL 07-09-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 109891)
I got to thinking about this today and I realized that I really don't know what all of that does to BG! :confused: My husband and I both work full-time and we're fortunate that our daughter is at home right now, but she won't be starting next week. Vinny will be free to bark at whatever moves outside, including deliveries. And since he has been feeling better, he has been wanting to play with Bogey more, generally rough housing and chasing each other around the yard. What does this do to the BG? I don't want to stop him from being a dog and enjoying life.

That's why at the beginning I would test after EVERY thing! I knew Tiggys nadir would happen when she would be alone during the day and I didn't want to worry constantly. I didn't want to confine both dogs th the house during the day, they would have been miserable!!

For instance, the mailman, with the barking and running outside will lower Tiggy a good 20-40 pts..... If the gardener comes at the same time or after, that could be 50 pts lower. Now if I had her running at a tight regulation of 80-150 she would definitely be in trouble! It's hard to contain her big dog instincts! Lol so she definitely gets excited over everything!!!!!
Now on the other hand, she likes to sunbathe in our 100 degree temps :rolleyes: that's ALWAYS a crap shoot because sometimes that will raise her and other times, for no reason, it will lower her :confused:

An auto feeder would definitely not work for a snack because our other dog Heidi would feel she hit the jackpot and take advantage of the treats!!

That's why I get nervous when people who work try to run such tight regulation:o. I keep Tiggy between 150-250 and its worked great for us. She's healthy, regulated, gets snacks, runs and plays with Heidi, and does what a dog is supposed to do..... Enjoy life!!!

Sandy

momofdecker 07-09-2013 09:18 AM

If you find that Vinny may need a mid-day snack, I have an auto feeder that I'd be happy to send your way. It's just hanging out in my garage. We bought it several months into Decker's diagnosis in hopes of it helping level out his bg. Only used it for maybe a week. The machine worked well but his bg was too unpredictable at the time to use it for what we'd hoped for. He loved it! Though Decker was not the overall alpha dog in the house, he was much faster and more pushy when it came to food so we never had any worries it would be Kinser getting the snack vs. Decker.

Here is a picture of something similar to what we have - not exact as I can't remember off hand what the make/model of what we have is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Pe...-/290942719479