Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

Monsters Momma 07-14-2013 08:38 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny

Well, I just took the opportunity to test Vinny after some rough-housing (chasing around the yard and hard playing for 5-10 min) with our other dog Bogey. It was 52! :eek: I was expecting it to go low, but not that much! He wasn't acting wobbly or anything, but got a milk-bone anyway and a little treat for letting me test him.

So, short of not letting him be a dog, here's what I'm thinking. Whenever the dogs play, Vinny is going to get a milk-bone and be watched closely for any other signs. Does that seem reasonable? :confused:

Mel

CraigM 07-14-2013 09:13 AM

I think this is what some who exercise their pups have to do: small carb before / during the activity. Guess I'm happy that Annie & I are old couch potato types;)

It will be interesting to see readings later today. I'm wondering if this activity "uses up" his insulin and he will be high this afternoon? I really don't know, just wondering and if it does happen this way what can be done?

Craig

peggy0 07-14-2013 11:10 AM

Mel. Did you raise his insulin?

Riliey and Mo 07-14-2013 11:59 AM

I was just going to ask the same question .
On the 12th around 8ish he was 190 today 52. Big drop

I would also check him around 8:15 everday

Mo

Judi 07-14-2013 01:13 PM

a carby snack is definitely a good idea. I know that on weekends Jenny gets more exercise so I cut her morning insulin on days when I know that will happen.

If it is something you can plan for, that is another option.

Monsters Momma 07-15-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peggy0 (Post 110261)
Mel. Did you raise his insulin?

Yes, we raised him to 17.5. I've never had the opportunity to test him right after him playing with Bogey, so I was surprised how low he went.

I won't be able to do another curve until this Friday. I guess I'll see then how he's doing.

Mel

Abby's Mom 07-15-2013 09:12 AM

Hi Mel,

Just a quick confirmation on what Craig mentioned.... I have found that giving some honey on top of some small treats for Abby, prior to a walk, will prevent her from dropping too quickly (even if she is not low), and provide a more even curve.

The honey will get into the system immediately, the the small treat carrys her through the duration of the walk.

Wonderful curve, by the way!!

Barb

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom 07-15-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 110153)
So our curve today was...
6 am 199 (before food and insulin)
8 am 190
10 am 199 AT2 and 107 Prime
12 pm 229
2 pm 192 AT2 and 132 Prime
4 pm 205 (vet AT) 246 (our AT2) 209 (our Prime
6 pm 236

We went to the vet at 4 to check Vinny, our meters and get more insulin and food. Our vet didn't think it was necessary to home test, but when I walked in with all of the info I had and explained that we had reduced his insulin and why...he was impressed! :o He asked if I was a nurse and if I had been thinking I would have said "No, but I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night." :D I just told him I was anal and I do a lot of research. He wants us to bring up Vinny's dose to 18 units 2x's a day then do another curve and let him know how it looks.

Thanks to all of you for making me look so good! :cool:
Mel

You increased a 1/2 a unit after getting these numbers above? (how many units was Monster Vinny on when the curve above was posted?)

Monsters Momma 07-15-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom (Post 110314)
You increased a 1/2 a unit after getting these numbers above? (how many units was Monster Vinny on when the curve above was posted?)

He was on 17. The vet wanted to see if we could nudge the numbers down just a bit, he wanted to go to 18, but everyone on the board suggested just a 1/2 unit. If they go too low on the next curve, then we'll put him back at 17.

Do you see a problem I'm not seeing?

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom 07-15-2013 11:10 AM

:) I thought the numbers you posted at 17 units were absolutely spectacular and I wouldn't have changed them a bit (insert jealous diabetic dog mom ;))