Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

Monsters Momma 07-17-2013 10:25 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny

I know I'll be testing him a lot no matter what does I give him! ;)

Thanks everyone for your input.

Ok...so now for a Confessions of a Dumbass Dog Mother. I think I've mentioned before that I have migraines. Actually, I have chronic migraines...a day without some kind of headache is a complete joy to me! Well yesterday, I woke at 4:30am with one, got up took some medicine and went back to bed until I needed to get up for Vinny. Vinny of course, didn't remind me. :rolleyes:

So, I get up, let the dogs out, somehow remember that I wanted to test him before eating, gave him and Bogey their food and proceeded to go back to bed for awhile till I had to get ready. Last night, John said something about me giving Vinny his shot in the morning and I freaked...I completely forgot that part of our morning ritual! :eek: ..."and the Dog Mother of the Year Award goes to..."

We checked his BG before his dinner and it was 298. So, just how bad did I screw up? I felt so horrible, but since his BG wasn't too high I didn't become panicked. Is there something we should have done when we figured this out? :confused:

Obviously, I will be waking John's butt up next time I have a migraine like that so I don't screw up again.

SandyL 07-17-2013 10:55 AM

Hahaha welcome to the club!!!! We've all done that or something similar at least once!!!:D. Life goes on, and as you found, our babies are really pretty resilient to our screw ups!!

If you had remembered 2-3 hours after you should of, I would have given 1/4 dose, but any more than that... Just wait till the normal time and start over.

Sandy

Riliey and Mo 07-17-2013 11:11 AM

Been there too my alarm didnt go off an internet error. Called the vet right away He was in the 2 to3 hours gave him a 1/4 of the 5 units that morning then his normal 5 iu at night.

He was wagging his tail smiling as if to say hawhaw you screwed up. He cheered me up I
Felt sooo bad;)

We make mistakes Mel cheer up

Mo

amydunn19 07-17-2013 05:43 PM

I have forgotten the shot, given the shot twice for the same meal, forgotten to put the food down, left the insulin out on the counter for a couple of days and used her allergy shot needle without even noticing. I have even better mishaps with needles and giving shots to myself lol. It is a wonder my dog has made it this long but sometimes they do good despite us...

Monsters Momma 07-17-2013 05:59 PM

Thanks all! Being new at this, I was sure I was the only one that could do such a thing! Thanks for reminding me that we're all human!
:)
Mel

Oh, btw, I added some pics to an album called Zoo...that's not all of them, but you'll get the idea! ;)

jesse girl 07-17-2013 06:10 PM

i alarm my cell phone for all jesses shots walks and food . i would have forgot many times if i did not have my cell phone

i would not worry about the numbers not much you can do about it

Monsters Momma 07-19-2013 12:13 PM

Vinny is making no sense to me whatsoever. :confused: I was going to do a full curve today, but got called into work...here's what I've got.

He's on 17.5 units 2x a day...
287 6am before breakfast
244 7:45 am
309 2:30 pm

I'll do another test at 4 and 6.

Here's what I'm not getting...this was his curve last week at 17 units
6 am 199 (before food and insulin)
8 am 190
10 am 199 AT2 and 107 Prime
12 pm 229
2 pm 192 AT2 and 132 Prime
4 pm 205 (vet AT) 246 (our AT2) 209 (our Prime
6 pm 236

Please tell me this makes sense to someone because I really was expecting the number to be nearly the same or go down a touch. :confused:

peggy0 07-19-2013 02:37 PM

he could be a little off from that skipped shot :) I wouldn't worry too much. See where he is in a day or 2. Keep watching to make sure he's not getting sick

Monsters Momma 07-19-2013 03:43 PM

Missed the 4pm test...had to pick up our daughter and was too worried about that. :(

The 6pm number was 298.

I'm concerned about the numbers because we're taking the dogs to the lake tomorrow for the weekend. Vinny won't be swimming...a lab that doesn't like water! ;) But Bogey will be hard to keep away from it. :)

I'll be keeping a close eye on him this weekend. <insert icon with really big eye>

jesse girl 07-19-2013 03:45 PM

i would agree with peggy and actually if he is running a bit higher that maybe a good thing .

have fun