Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

Monsters Momma 08-16-2013 05:33 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny

I have a couple of questions about exercise...I used to get up early and walk Vinny and Bogie in the mornings before breakfast. Somehow, I got out of that routine :rolleyes: but would like to start walking again. So, questions...

When do you find the best time is to walk your dogs?
Do you think before eating and insulin is a good idea? (Realizing every dog is different.)
Is this one of those 'take it slow' things that I should start with 15 min. and work my way up?

BTW...Vinny and Bogie (because I can't just give it to one :p) love pumpkin! I added a bit to breakfast to see if that helped Vinny with his constant hunger.

sherryandfred 08-16-2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 112484)
I have a couple of questions about exercise...I used to get up early and walk Vinny and Bogie in the mornings before breakfast. Somehow, I got out of that routine :rolleyes: but would like to start walking again. So, questions...

When do you find the best time is to walk your dogs?
Do you think before eating and insulin is a good idea? (Realizing every dog is different.)
Is this one of those 'take it slow' things that I should start with 15 min. and work my way up?

BTW...Vinny and Bogie (because I can't just give it to one :p) love pumpkin! I added a bit to breakfast to see if that helped Vinny with his constant hunger.

i have noticed with fred when i feed him he of course goes up so i give him his insulin and take him for a short walk ( he has hip displysa ) and that will bring him down a little bit..when we would let him run after eating and after giving him his insulin he would drop way to fast..so i would bring a treat for him for after his walk..thats what worked for us..

pgcor 08-16-2013 05:49 AM

Who doesn't love Pop Tarts! Can't blame him! I feel after 6 years of urine testing that I am the Queen (self nominated). I am so good at it that I can get urine from Pip in midstream from across the yard in one fell swoop - with a pie pan....oh yeah!:D

Eddie 08-16-2013 06:25 AM

Ha - I know what you mean about urine testing, though it's probably less of a challenge for us than for some what with Eddie being a boy and quite big..... though I sometimes wander what it looks like - like last night at 1.30am I was pursuing him in my nightclothes with my little pot and torch in the pouring rain just because I wondered what the urine reading would be at that time .....

On exercise I think lot depends on your dog's trends. Eddie is lowest at fasting and so serious exercise before eating would push him too low but I am sure would be fine for other dogs. Probably best to start gently, test and work up to more strenuous walks gradually.

Antonia

jesse girl 08-16-2013 08:09 AM

what i look for with exercise is when insulin is not to active and is weakening

thats maybe a good place to start . test before and after and see how blood sugar goes and yes start slow and build up to give the body a chance to adapt

i have been doing jesses walks consistently for years now everyday which is good for me also

Monsters Momma 08-17-2013 05:40 AM

My hubby took Vinny to the vet last night to check his weight. I was sure he was losing weight and sure enough he had lost about 2.5 lbs since I last had him weighed. The vet said we should try and maintain his weight there, and I said "I was trying to maintain his weight at 97.1!" :( So, I finally looked at the bag again and think we can increase his food by 1/2 cup at each meal. I'm doing a curve today, I'm not sure I'll really see that adjustment though since I just started it last night. :confused:

On another front...next weekend is our camping trip. :eek: I am nervous I'm going to forget something, so I'm packing a box today to see if I can work out of it this week. I'll probably walk off without his food or something! :p I need a sign to put on him "Do Not Feed Me!" :rolleyes: That's really worrying me!

That's it for now...

Eddie 08-17-2013 05:48 AM

Remember that you may need to tweak his insulin to match a food increase - though if you do a curve that will give you good info.

It's a really good idea to pack a bag in advance of your trip. For the "no feeding" you could maybe get it marked on a collar or one of those scarf thingies that some people tie round their dog's neck. I'm not a fan of those sorts of things usually but if we have a lot of visitors here I do put a ribbon on Eddie's collar to remind people that he is "special" ie can't see so may cannon into them unexpectedly.
Antonia

Judi 08-17-2013 07:44 AM

I bet Vinny will be happy to get more food. On the bright side if he is running around more while camping it may offset any treats he scrounges. hang in there!

at the end of the day we are not shooting for perfection, just happy dogs. and unstressed humans! Judi

Monsters Momma 08-18-2013 07:18 AM

Yesterday's curve after adding 1/2 cup of food...

263 6 am before food and insulin
210 8 am
224 10 am
204 11 am after some hard playing with Bogey
237 12 pm
272 2 pm
342 4 pm
358 6 pm before food and insulin...upped his dose to 19 units

Decided we should up his dose because of the change in food.

I've also been thinking about camping and think that maybe we shouldn't adjust his dose in the morning. We're leaving after school on Friday so that won't be until 4ish. Do you think his dose at night should be adjusted then? I'm also assuming that his dose Saturday morning should be adjusted. We'll be returning late Saturday afternoon.

Thanks for your input!!
Mel

jesse girl 08-18-2013 08:07 AM

this curve does give the opportunity for a small adjustment upward from a quarter to half unit . i think if you see a reduction by 50 point at the most i think he will be ok camping just monitor as i know you will .

just a thought