Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

k9diabetes 08-24-2013 01:12 PM

Re: My Monster Vinny

Hope you guys have a great time!!! Love both the ideas for sending a message to folks about a diabetic dog.

Natalie

Monsters Momma 08-25-2013 08:42 AM

Things went well...No one feed Vinny anything, but he did manage to help himself to some baked beans on a little boys plate. Vinny got scolded and Garret got out of eating the beans...everyone was happy! ;)

As I predicted, Vinny was done with this camping trip, long before we were. He got in the van at 9ish Friday night and wouldn't get out. :rolleyes: I sat with him for a bit explaining why we both had to join the group.:) As soon as we did join the group around the fire with the tents and all, Vinny went into the tent and didn't come out! :o

His bg was good, although it did dip into the 100's, it never got too low. I have been using the Freestyle and I finally got some AT when I got home, so I've checked him a couple of times with both and they are about 50 pts or 88% off. So the Freestyle is reading much higher.

309 AT 350 FS before breakfast today
313 AT 356 FS 11:00

The AT is set on 7 and the FS on 35. I'm going to try FS on 7 next and see if that's any closer. Any input is greatly appreciated. :confused:

Thanks everyone for your support for our trip. I was quite nervous and tested Vinny often, but it was all good and if Vinny would be honest, he would tell you he had a good time...even though part yesterday was spent hiding under the back of the van. :rolleyes: He and Bogey are recuperating today!

Mel

Riliey and Mo 08-25-2013 09:01 AM

I wouldnt want to be in the same tent with Vinnie after eating baked beans lol.

Glad you got away for abit. Maybe next time he can have his own tent lol.

Have a great day

Mo

CraigM 08-25-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 113340)
His bg was good, although it did dip into the 100's, it never got too low. I have been using the Freestyle and I finally got some AT when I got home, so I've checked him a couple of times with both and they are about 50 pts or 88% off. So the Freestyle is reading much higher.

309 AT 350 FS before breakfast today
313 AT 356 FS 11:00

The AT is set on 7 and the FS on 35. I'm going to try FS on 7 next and see if that's any closer. Any input is greatly appreciated. :confused:

Mel

I'm not following what you are doing. Are you using both the AlphaTrak2 meter and a FreeStyle meter? If comparing two meters, which FreeStyle meter are you playing with?

Or are you only using the AlphaTrak2 meter, but trying to compare AlphaTrak2 test strips with FreeStyle LITE test strips used in the AlphaTrak2 meter?

Or are you using the old, grey colored, original AlphaTrak meter?

This could be some fun testing / playing!:D

Craig

Monsters Momma 08-25-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigM (Post 113343)

Or are you only using the AlphaTrak2 meter, but trying to compare AlphaTrak2 test strips with FreeStyle LITE test strips used in the AlphaTrak2 meter?

Craig

I'm using the AT2 for both strips. (AT and FS Lite) I guess I wasn't that clear. :rolleyes:

CraigM 08-25-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 113346)
I'm using the AT2 for both strips. (AT and FS Lite) I guess I wasn't that clear. :rolleyes:

I would be interested to see a test with the AT2 coded to the "correct" code as printed on the vial of AT2 test strips, and then swap to the FSL test strip without recoding the meter. (In my case, code 35 for both strips) This is what I've been doing the past week and the readings are within about 10 points of each other. My tests have been in the 90-200 range, guess the difference could be higher in the 300+ range?

Testing / playing is fun! :-)

Craig

CraigM 08-25-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigM (Post 113349)
I would be interested to see a test with the AT2 coded to the "correct" code as printed on the vial of AT2 test strips, and then swap to the FSL test strip without recoding the meter. (In my case, code 35 for both strips) This is what I've been doing the past week and the readings are within about 10 points of each other. My tests have been in the 90-200 range, guess the difference could be higher in the 300+ range?

Testing / playing is fun! :-)

Craig

:D Just grabbed Annie and did a comparison:D.

AlphaTrak2 meter for both tests

AlphaTrak2 test strip (vial indicated code 35 / meter set to 35) = 184

FreeStyle LITE test strip (ignored writing on the vial, meter remained coded 35) = 180

My FSL strips look identical to the AT2 strips (butterfly design on the strip and tiny little barbs in the blood pick-up area)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqpa5h8z4c...-26_121134.png

Craig

maladuca 08-25-2013 10:07 AM

Hi Mel! I'm glad the trip went better than you expected. That is a huge undertaking with the dogs. I don't take mine anywhere but will need to now with Teddy's diabetes. The thought of him at the beach with us is already making me nervous - especially because we will be traveling with "non dog people". I've got 10 months to figure it out.
Anyway - glad Vinny had a nice get-a-way!

Monsters Momma 08-25-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maladuca (Post 113355)
Hi Mel! I'm glad the trip went better than you expected. That is a huge undertaking with the dogs. I don't take mine anywhere but will need to now with Teddy's diabetes. The thought of him at the beach with us is already making me nervous - especially because we will be traveling with "non dog people". I've got 10 months to figure it out.
Anyway - glad Vinny had a nice get-a-way!

I would be nervous enough traveling wi non-dog people!! Add in there diabetes and all the fuss that goes along with it...it would make me a wreck! The only advice I'd have at the moment is plan ahead and don't apologize for them not understanding. I'd take every moment as a teaching moment and leave it at that. I'm sure it will go better than you anticipate. I was lucky, most of the people already knew Vinny and either had dogs or loved them anyway!;). Everyone was watching out for him!
Mel

Monsters Momma 08-25-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigM (Post 113354)
:D Just grabbed Annie and did a comparison:D.

AlphaTrak2 meter for both tests

AlphaTrak2 test strip (vial indicated code 35 / meter set to 35) = 184

FreeStyle LITE test strip (ignored writing on the vial, meter remained coded 35) = 180

My FSL strips look identical to the AT2 strips (butterfly design on the strip and tiny little barbs in the blood pick-up area)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqpa5h8z4c...-26_121134.png

Craig

Craig,
My AlphTrak2 strips are coded 7, so I set both the Freestyle and the AT2 strips at 7 and the readings were 265 and 275. Much closer! My FS look just like the AT2 strips. If you aren't paying attention you can definitely get them we up! Good thing Annie is such a good sport for you!
Thanks,
Mel