Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

Riliey and Mo 07-04-2013 01:53 PM

Re: My Monster Vinny

hi Mel

I would definately lower Vinnie, s dose by 1/2 next injection. he is getting 20 then 19 1/2.
when u get the alphatrack test at the times he goes low or gets wobbly k.
wait 3 days then do a curve.

I put abit of jam on Riles gums, followed by 1/2 a milkbone then a few pieces of his kibble then test him an hour later. this brings his bg up. I find the karo raises his bg too high.

your doing great at catching the low good work

Mo

jesse girl 07-04-2013 02:33 PM

well the numbers are not jumping around that much and maybe a half unit is ok as mo sugested but being so new to your pups trends i would reduce by a minimum of a unit just to push those numbers up a bit . if they dont move and remain in a lower range dont hesitate to lower the dose further

as sandy said dogs do just fine above a normal range

it takes time for the body to adapt

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom 07-04-2013 03:55 PM

If Monster Vinny were my dog, I think I would reduce by 2-3 units and hold for 1 week at that level, then do another curve. Of course, doing spot checks etc each day.

Monsters Momma 07-04-2013 04:52 PM

Well, about the time for his next test/feed/insulin and the fireworks around here had started! Vinny is not so nervous around them, but our younger dog, Bogey, gets anxious, so we just fed Vinny, reduced the insulin to 19 from 20 and called it a night on everything else.

I'm going to have everything ready tonight to test him before I feed him in the morning just to see where he is after fasting all night. I'll spot check him tomorrow, but if I understand...his body won't adapt to the 19 twice a day for a few days so there's no need to do a curve, right?

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you all!! I think we would have been in a panic had it not been for the input you all gave us! Thank you!! :)
Mel

jesse girl 07-04-2013 05:33 PM

you dont necessarily need to do a curve but i would place an emphasis on the times vinny usually run low . you dont want to take your finger of the trigger of testing and want to be sure he is out of that lower range

anytime you see a low blood sugar event the individual dog is not able with stored glucose from the body i to balance injectable insulin which does point to an overdose situation .

so i would keep an eye on things . its great you are seeing levels in a normal range but it did happen fairly quickly and its alright to pull back a bit you can always raise back up again maybe by a quarter unit if needed in the future .

all information is good even if it is scary at this point you know 20 units is to much for what you are doing wright now .

momofdecker 07-04-2013 06:03 PM

You are doing a great job!

One trend we learned over time was that Decker would either not have a nadir (without food/karo intervention) or he would continue to drop beyond his nadir time when his dosage was too high. He had a lot going on near the end so we often adjusted his insulin amount based on his fasting reading and whether or not he was getting prednisone. Sometimes it was a bit of a guessing game so we tested a lot to make sure he stayed safe.

Over time we also established a routine of treatment when his bg was dropping to soon or too much in a short time. We used karo, milk bones and his dry dog food to intervene depending on what his bg readings told us. It took us awhile to find a routine that worked for him though. In the beginning we often over-corrected, which resulted in an elevated fasting number the next day.

It took me a long time to figure out that was the beauty of home testing. It allowed us to figure out what his routine was. The established patterns and trends that he'd developed over time helped us come up with a plan that allowed us to overcome some of the obstacles he was confronted with and enabled us to still keep his bg in a decent range for a good part of the day. Of course, there were always exceptions. The only challenge is that every dog is different. They each write their own story.

Since you had to intervene with karo/food today, I'd check tomorrow around the same time to see how the 1u reduction is working for Vinny, especially since you did not seen much of a rise two hours later despite the extra sugar/food.

Looks like overall he is doing well. Keep up the good work!

peggy0 07-04-2013 07:03 PM

I agree with tami. Watch him closely. One unit may not be enough.

SandyL 07-04-2013 07:41 PM

Totally agree with Tami and Peggy.... Especially with the nervousness with the fireworks. You don't know if the added stress will send him sky high, or make his BG plummet :(. Every dog is different!

Sandy

Monsters Momma 07-05-2013 09:06 AM

Looks like 19 might be a little high too. We checked Vinny at noon and his number was 76. Yesterday it was 69 so not much change. We decided to intervene now instead of waiting so gave him a little Karo with a bit of food. Will check again in ah hour or two.

Vinny is tired of being a pincushion...I can tell because I have to hunt him down now with treats in hand to do any testing. :( I remember reading that someone had written that they kept telling themselves they were doing it to keep their dog healthy and that's what I keep saying.

Thanks again!
mel

Riliey and Mo 07-05-2013 10:03 AM

did u get the alphatrack meter yet. remember it reads higher. that 76 should be higher with the alphatrack.

maybe u can change his bg testing spot, rotating it around.

your doing great