Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

Monsters Momma 07-05-2013 03:51 PM

Re: My Monster Vinny

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigM (Post 109716)
That's a much wider difference than I've seen between my Prime and AlphaTrak2. What "code" are the AT2 test strips?

:)Excuse me, I'm not trying to insult, but did you "code" the AT2?;) I can see someone coming from an automatic meter like the Prime to a meter that needs to be coded to make a mistake.

Other side-by-side tests will be interesting.

Craig

You are not insulting me at all! No I did not. Frankly, I've been fighting a migraine all day and didn't really look that look that hard at the book. Before tomorrow morning, I will make sure I do that.

Thank you for the info.
Mel

Monsters Momma 07-05-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom (Post 109717)
I suggest you reduce by a couple more units until its all sorted....perhaps 16? Trust me, you do not want to experience a seizure due to hypoglycemia....:(

Tami,
I took him down to 18 before I saw your post. Do you think 18 isn't enough?
Mel:(

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom 07-05-2013 04:10 PM

Hi,

I personally would go lower than 18 (perhaps to 16 until you figure it out) as you are seeing lows right now that, even when you interfere with karo or a treat, aren't really increasing.

What was the BG tonight before you gave 18? I would watch carefully and interfere if needed (which you already know :))

CraigM 07-05-2013 04:20 PM

You are doing great! So many things to remember / try to learn, it's amazing we all don't have a continuous headache;)

What is the code on the vial of strips. I think so far I've seen "5" and "35", wondering if there are any other code numbers being used.

Thanks for mentioning your results, it caused me to test Annie:

Prime 41
AT2 63

Yea, a bit lower than what I like;) No panic, gave Annie two VERY small puppy treats along with her normal post-test green bean.

Your Prime 121 is probably close to a 183 AT2 reading, so I would think the 18 units would be low enough?

Craig

SandyL 07-05-2013 06:23 PM

I too would go down to 16U with a low of 77. You REALLY Want to get away from the lows and give yourself some room! You can always work back up 1/2 unit at a time to obtain a comfortable range. Hypo sezures aren't pretty and EXTREMLY dangerous!

Sandy

Riliey and Mo 07-05-2013 07:30 PM

It looks like Vinnies fasting number tonight was 245 with the alphatrack

I agree with Craig to stay with the 18 units check his low points tomorrow

Monsters Momma 07-06-2013 03:38 AM

So, starting out today with another migraine...I swear they truly make me a dumb blonde! I had to poke Vinny 4 times in order to get enough blood to test him twice! And then of course each monitor had to be started again! :p
After fasting all night...
Prime...87
AT2...186 (I did make sure it was coded ;) )
Poor guy, I'm thinking his ear might be better, but I need to shave it.

So these numbers seem pretty far apart too...I was thinking maybe I should get new batteries for each so I know what I'm dealing with. I just don't know why they are so far apart. I'm assuming I should pay more attention to the AT2? And is this a good number after fasting?

Mel

maladuca 07-06-2013 05:33 AM

Mel - Teddy's numbers were about 100 apart from the ReliOn to the Alpha Trac. So that sounds about right. I tested him at 400 and the vet's Alpha Trac was 496.

jesse girl 07-06-2013 07:29 AM

the best way to settle this is to compare with a lab analyzer you might have to call around to other vets to see if they have that capability .

the thing that concerns me that you saw symptoms of low blood sugar on the prime at where you should see it which i believe was in the 60s now if you add a 100 points to that for the alpha trak you would completely think everything is ok.

i am not saying the pet meter is off or the prime is wright i am just going by physical symptoms you have posted

so yes low batteries can have an affect but i would compare both meters against a lab analyzer to give you some peace of mind .

meters can have some humane error situations i have seen to much blood give false highs and not enough give false lows

most comparisons with most meters i have seen are not this off in a lower range . like to see a comparisons below a 100

CraigM 07-06-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 109739)
So, starting out today with another migraine...I swear they truly make me a dumb blonde! I had to poke Vinny 4 times in order to get enough blood to test him twice! And then of course each monitor had to be started again! :p
After fasting all night...
Prime...87
AT2...186 (I did make sure it was coded ;) )
Poor guy, I'm thinking his ear might be better, but I need to shave it.

So these numbers seem pretty far apart too...I was thinking maybe I should get new batteries for each so I know what I'm dealing with. I just don't know why they are so far apart. I'm assuming I should pay more attention to the AT2? And is this a good number after fasting?

Mel

That's still a greater spread than what I've seen with the Prime / AT2. You had different blood droplets for each test? About how long apart were the two tests? Within a minute, or more like 5 minutes? Just looking for anything that might make the difference:)

Craig