Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

Riliey and Mo 07-06-2013 09:15 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny

the lows might be because Vinnie is " honeymooning ".
his beta cells maybe still be producing insulin

my thinking is a 100 pound dog should get 25 iu of insulin. ( .25 100 = 25)

since his 19 units needed to drop to 18 iu. might be a honeymoon sign

this would also cause both meters to be off

Try using just the alphatrack to relieve your headache and calibrate it with vets next time.

when the beta cells stop producing insulin his blood glucose will rise then his insulin needs to be adjusted.

also to find out for sure if Vinnie, s beta cells are still producing insulin, the vet can do a c-peptide test to tell how much insulin he is producing on his own.

hope this helps

mo

Monsters Momma 07-06-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse girl (Post 109754)

most comparisons with most meters i have seen are not this off in a lower range . like to see a comparisons below a 100

Just had John test him, so that Vinny wouldn't think I was the only one sticking him! :(

Prime...61
AT2...90

I'm going to compare to the vet when I can next week.

So, we gave him 18 units last night and this morning...should I lower it again? :confused:

Mel

jesse girl 07-06-2013 10:25 AM

you really want to get those numbers above a 100 so i would continue to reduce

down the road you maybe able to get regulation like this and keep him safe but for now your just to new to this

many would say this is great and it is just to good to soon

i would continue to reduce till you see those numbers come up above a 100 you could do it slowly by 1 unit just because he doesn't have any big fluctuations from low to high and you know the low point and your testing your kind of doing regulation in reverse which many of us have done .

the way your going you may have this sorted in a couple weeks which is really good it took us 6 months just to get a breath of air with jesse

this is the time you put in the most effort into regulation its well worth it

CraigM 07-06-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 109759)
Just had John test him, so that Vinny wouldn't think I was the only one sticking him! :(

Prime...61
AT2...90

So, we gave him 18 units last night and this morning...should I lower it again? :confused:

Mel

Yea! That's pretty much exactly the spread I normally see.
61 divided by 90 = .67. I've been using .66 for the past month, but sometimes varies some, but is usually between .62 and .72ish.

Yep, looks like another reduction is needed until the AT2 doesn't drop below 100ish. 90 is a great number, but you probably need more buffer space until you get more data.

Great work!

Craig

SandyL 07-06-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 109759)

Prime...61
AT2...90

Mel

I would still go to 16u and hold steady for 3-5 days to let that dose settle in.
Patience is really a virtue with this disease and if he runs a little higher while you methodiclly come to the desired dose, so be it, they do just fine at that higher number
Like jessegirl said, this is still fairly new for you guys and you really don't know Vinnies trends. Why chance it???

Emily 07-07-2013 05:09 AM

I've found that slow and steady wins the race with this disease. I made too many changes early on because I was so distressed and nervous and just wanted Elliot to be well. It just made the whole process of regulation take even longer (still making tweaks). Plus...higher numbers are safer than numbers that are too low.

Sounds like you guys are on the right track! Keep up the great work :)

Monsters Momma 07-08-2013 03:48 AM

Vinny seems to be doing well on 17 units 2x a day. His morning numbers have both been 178 and 175 after fasting all night. Yesterday he did seem to have much more energy for his younger brother and just in general...that's good to see! We did spot check him during the day and he was in the 100's so I think we're on the right road. :)

I won't be able to do a curve until Friday since I'm working all week. I'm also going to take Vinny into the vet and get my AT2 tested with theirs.

The problem I'm having now is Vinny is now getting gun shy. He knows I'm going to test him or I'm going to give him a shot and he takes off for another part of the house! :( I thought this would happen quicker, but I knew it would happen...he really should have feathers! :rolleyes: I have to remember to have the 'treat' out before he'll venture into the kitchen...or I go where he is. So, any ideas here? :confused:

I know I read something on canned green beans vs frozen and another post about some Newman treats that were ok to give, but I'm having trouble finding them. I thought I saw that the frozen kind had to be cooked? And John bought some Newman treats, but they have molasses in them. I looked online and all of them do. I think I'm remembering that post wrong. :( Wouldn't surprise me.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a good week! Thanks for all the help this weekend!
Mel

amydunn19 07-08-2013 05:08 AM

Mel,

I use freeze dried buffalo bites from Bravo. I would think any type of freeze dried meat might be fine.

Amy D

peggy0 07-08-2013 05:29 AM

Forbin loved Hebrew national fat free hot dog bites lol. He would do anything for a bite of one of those. I'd cut each hot dog up into little bites. He'd stand in front of the fridge and stomp his paw if I didn't get them fast enough lol. Great numbers !, you are doing great

Judi 07-08-2013 05:57 AM

I cut up freeze dried liver treats from Petco or Petsmart but I know Barb used to use boiled chicken.

for a lot of our dogs, protein alone doesn't seem to affect their blood sugar

For Jenny's shot only she get Duck Jerky that Sandy L told me about. She hates her shot but loves the jerky so she will actually come to me if I say it's time to get her shot for her jerky.

and at one point she was trying to bite us she hated her shot so much