View Single Post
Old 11-10-2016, 12:40 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Think we had a near hypoglycemic event last night. Around 10:30pm, four hours post meal / injection, she started to act weird. Continuous walking and bumping into things at a speed greater than normal. After watching her for maybe 20 minutes I decided to blood test: 49 on the AlphaTrak. Fed a little canned food mixed with about a tablespoon of white rice. She calmed down in about 20 minutes, and tested 101 at 12:30am.

I tried to remember what I may have done different. I'm 99% sure I gave the same weighed amount of food and insulin. No exercise since she went to sleep soon after eating (normal routine). Then I remembered I opened a new can of dog food. I've sort of switched to the "Beyond" brand of canned mixed with a little weight management (Blue Wilderness) kibble.

The Beyond brand comes in many varieties and I recently bought a mixed case to see which one she likes / will eat. This might be the problem! I looked at the can that I had finished yesterday morning and it lists at 434 kcals/can. The food I fed last night was only 315 kcals/can. That's 27% less calories per serving?

I added a little more of the 315 kcal/can the morning, and reduced her insulin by one unit. So far the readings look OK today:
6:30 168
9:30 178
12:30 129

Craig