Soaphie the sophisticated is an angel October 29, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Soaphie

I wouldn't have guessed constipation either. Please keep us posted, Tami! Continuing prayer for Miss Soaphie.
    http://www.coherentdog.org/
    CarolW

Comment

Hi all,

Blood results back - I don't have exact numbers - just a quick call with Soaphie's doc. Blood work looks fine with the exception of her kidney numbers being a bit off. Awaiting results of urine analysis to see if they show a story to go along with the kidney results.

Starting to give tramadol this evening.
      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Good to have some obvious things ruled out at least with labs.
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Positive vibes for Soaphie, hugs to you, Tami!
          Last edited by eileen; 10-23-2013, 07:32 PM.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Tami,

Just catching up on some threads, and missed yours, having some issues with Soaphie. I just hate it when they get old, not that I mind the extra care, but you worry so much, and want to fix it.

Hoping that she feels better soon - and some cocktail that she is on, is the magic potient.

Prayers sent your way, for you and your girls.

Barb
            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Thinking of you and soph tami
              Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

She is still needing to be fed by hand. We discontinued deramaxx a few days ago - unsure how long it should take to "get her back" if indeed deramaxx is the issue...
                Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Vet prescribed deramaxx for Kinser in the Spring for arthritis in his legs. We started giving him 1/2 tablet daily as prescribed but found that after two days he stopped eating. We stopped the deramaxx and have tested it a couple of more times. If he gets it more than two days in a row he stops eating. We know he does have arthritis but it seems easier on him to only give the deramaxx as needed - like when he's had more than average exercise - running, hiking days, etc... He goes Tues for his senior wellness exam and I'm going to ask if they'd consider tramadol instead of the deramaxx as I think pain relief may be a better fit for the arthritis. Kinser has always been sensitive to food related things and without Decker there hovering (threatening) to inhale his food, it would take a couple of days for his eating routine to get back to normal after not eating.

I hope Soaphie starts to come around soon. No fun wondering and worrying, especially when they can't say what is wrong. Give her a belly rub for me!
                  Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Originally posted by momofdecker View Post
                    Vet prescribed deramaxx for Kinser in the Spring for arthritis in his legs. We started giving him 1/2 tablet daily as prescribed but found that after two days he stopped eating. We stopped the deramaxx and have tested it a couple of more times. If he gets it more than two days in a row he stops eating. We know he does have arthritis but it seems easier on him to only give the deramaxx as needed - like when he's had more than average exercise - running, hiking days, etc... He goes Tues for his senior wellness exam and I'm going to ask if they'd consider tramadol instead of the deramaxx as I think pain relief may be a better fit for the arthritis. Kinser has always been sensitive to food related things and without Decker there hovering (threatening) to inhale his food, it would take a couple of days for his eating routine to get back to normal after not eating.

I hope Soaphie starts to come around soon. No fun wondering and worrying, especially when they can't say what is wrong. Give her a belly rub for me!
                    Good information! I'll try to be a bit patient

Comment

Originally posted by momofdecker View Post
                      He goes Tues for his senior wellness exam and I'm going to ask if they'd consider tramadol instead of the deramaxx as I think pain relief may be a better fit for the arthritis.
                      Have you tried Meloxicam?
                      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Soaphie wouldn't eat at all this morning - not even by hand. Hoping by not eating this morning her appetite is high for this evenings meal....

Comment

Originally posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
                          Soaphie wouldn't eat at all this morning - not even by hand. Hoping by not eating this morning her appetite is high for this evenings meal....

must be something in the air..fred wouldn't eat this morning either..he is playing a game and i am learning that..lol so he got no food and like two units of insulin..i do find they eat better the next feed..hang in there she will eat tonight...
                          sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...

Comment

Hoping a rested tummy = good dinner appetite.

When Kinser didn't eat, he went one full day and a half of another day. But the blessing with him was that there were no other health issues to consider and he was more than willing to indulge in some human food during that time span. We also had the flexibility to leave his food dish out for him to snack on so he could eat when he felt up to it.

If Soaphie doesn't eat dinner, I wonder if she might either consider some human grade food or small bites of her regular food through out the day? I know, not the best mix with diabetes, but sometimes wonder when there is an unknown variable out there, if sometimes the diabetes doesn't become the secondary concern to treat. Wish I could just make it all better for you. Love those girls of yours!

Keeping you all in my prayers.
                            Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

I have a call out to the vet's office (our vet is out of the office, but we are in good hands with the other vets in the practice). Wondering if any of the other meds could affect her appetite....

Thanks all!

Tami

Comment

Tami,
                                I wish there was more I could do to make this better for you and your girl. I'd think meds are a possibility but it's so hard to know.
                                P
                                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                                X