View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Diabetes, Cushings and Pancreatitis in my Dog

I find it interesting that a cushing dogs becomes diabetic . Maybe the elevated cortisol is the factor as we have seen with dogs given steroids that they can become diabetic .

The multiple times of having pancreatitis probably had an impact of becoming diabetic and something to try to prevent from happening in the future if possible

So you are giving 4 units twice a day which is a bit lower than a normal starting dose for your dogs weight which would be 6 units which i dont have a problem with

A cushing dog not treated with medication usually will see insulin resistance which means a dog is given a large dose of insulin with little movement of blood sugar going lower

Now we have seen thyroid issues and cushing symptoms kind of overlap in there appearance and ended of being a thyroid problem. hopefully mike can address that as his dog lily is being treated for thyroid issues and worked there way through that and is doing well
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number