Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Otis Update

Originally posted by Rubytuesday View Post
    Sandy, I read the first sentence and before I got to the second sentence that is exactly what crossed my mind. While O's pain is physical and debilitating, Bill's pain is mental anguish and often paralyzing.

Bill, I know I can't offer anything as I know O has a wonderful advocate and a great doctor.

So I send you my hope, prayers and strength.

Tara
    As usual my post occurred around hopping up to chase after the puppy.

So glad to see the good news.

Tara
    Tara in honor of Ruby.
    She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
    Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

So happy to hear that you and Otis received positive news from the vet

Carol

Comment

Big sigh of relief that there is positive news. Continued prayers for you both.
        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

can't wait to hear. Yea...
          Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Doc went over him pretty good and did a sonagram as his prostate is 1 3/4 as big as it should be and is the likely cause of his “inappropriate urinating” problems, as well as causing him difficulty in poo poo’ing. Long story short ... he says Otis still has a lot of fight left in him and he hasn’t “thrown in the towel” on life. He’s in a lot of pain, and we’ll see what can be done to help him.

Seems to think it may be very likely the problems he’s having with his shoulders could be due to neuropathy as he couldn’t “feel” any problems in the shoulder area. Also thinks it’s a strong possibility that his hind leg weakness is due to neuropathy also.

Here’s where we’re at ... switching up the meds:
            • Gave me some Metacam for the inflammation and pain. It’s an injectable ... into the mouth. A NSAID, which is unlikely to cause any intestinal issues when used in the liquid form.
            • Hydrocodone for pain, if necessary.
            • Gabapentin (Neurontin)for the neuropathy / nervous system issues.
            • Gonna see how these do for him then, if we’re making progress, we’ll neuter him. Doc says neutering a dog, at any age, will reduce a swollen prostate. He did one a few weeks ago who was 19!

The big thing is Doc feels Otis has no intention of “going quietly” and will do his part in this fight. He’s seen thousands of dogs who have hit a point, due to their physical, and other issues, that they just quit fighting to stay alive. I feel real good about this.

To spite the odds, I put a chicken in the crockpot just before we left, so O had a great dinner when we got back.

WHEW!!!!!

Thanks for “being there”, everyone!
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
              Doc went over him pretty good and did a sonagram as his prostate is 1 3/4 as big as it should be and is the likely cause of his “inappropriate urinating” problems, as well as causing him difficulty in poo poo’ing. Long story short ... he says Otis still has a lot of fight left in him and he hasn’t “thrown in the towel” on life. He’s in a lot of pain, and we’ll see what can be done to help him.

Seems to think it may be very likely the problems he’s having with his shoulders could be due to neuropathy as he couldn’t “feel” any problems in the shoulder area. Also thinks it’s a strong possibility that his hind leg weakness is due to neuropathy also.

Here’s where we’re at ... switching up the meds:
              • Gave me some Metacam for the inflammation and pain. It’s an injectable ... into the mouth. A NSAID, which is unlikely to cause any intestinal issues when used in the liquid form.
              • Hydrocodone for pain, if necessary.
              • Gabapentin (Neurontin)for the neuropathy / nervous system issues.
              • Gonna see how these do for him then, if we’re making progress, we’ll neuter him. Doc says neutering a dog, at any age, will reduce a swollen prostate. He did one a few weeks ago who was 19!

The big thing is Doc feels Otis has no intention of “going quietly” and will do his part in this fight. He’s seen thousands of dogs who have hit a point, due to their physical, and other issues, that they just quit fighting to stay alive. I feel real good about this.

To spite the odds, I put a chicken in the crockpot just before we left, so O had a great dinner when we got back.

WHEW!!!!!

Thanks for “being there”, everyone!
              GREAT NEWS!!! and its such as great site to get all this information as well..i am so sorry he is in pain to..you are doing a great job with him..and since my baby has some of the same problems. i will know what to ask the doctor when he gets worse..thank you for updating us and i hope he gets better with everything that you are doing for him..and what a great meal he will have when he gets home.. the things we do for our kids
              sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...

Comment

Otis! Three cheers for sticktoitiveness!

Hoping that the protocol outlined below brings great results!
                Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Such good news!!!
                  Jeb & Glennys - 10-year-old collie mix, 54 lbs., diagnosed June 2012. 11.5 units Novolin N twice a day. Tested with Relion Prime and AlphaTrak2. Eats Hills WD.

Comment

That's wonderful news Bill! You go Otis!!!!

Sandy

Comment

What great news Bill!! I knew you had a fighter on your hands reading back over posts! Good to see he isn't going to go quietly!!
                      Mel
                      Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Lovely update - I'm very pleased for you!

And.....19!! Wow
                        Antonia
                        Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Great update - Yay Otis!
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Just went to the kitchen to get another coffee ... heard that little pug guy snoring as he's sleeping soundly, which is music to my ears.

Ate late, after being "manhandled" at Doc's ... so I'll let him sleep a bit later than normal.
                            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Scares like that really make you appreciate the little "normal" things with our dogs, like a nice bit of relaxed snoring!
                              Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
                                Just went to the kitchen to get another coffee ... heard that little pug guy snoring as he's sleeping soundly, which is music to my ears.

Ate late, after being "manhandled" at Doc's ... so I'll let him sleep a bit later than normal.
                                I used to pull Ruby's little dog bed right up to my ear and fall asleep to her little puffy breaths. Wonderful when such sounds can bring so much joy.

Tara
                                Tara in honor of Ruby.
                                She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                                Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Working...
                                X