Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Originally posted by jjefferjo View Post
    He is on three drops now ( 1 for pressure xalatan am/pm- 1 for inflammation - diclofenac (instead flurbiprofen) am/pm and 1 dry eyes Tacrolimus am only and this one may be going a way for good
    Thanks.

Annie was using Xalatan last year, but was switched to Latanoprost which is simular (I think), but is much less expensive generic. Think we last paid about $20.

She was using Diclofenac until last week.

She had been using the gel form of Tacrolimus until last week, when she was switched to drops.

She was put on Dorzolamide and Timolol Maleate last week.

Annie has her own shelf in a kitchen cabinet for her meds!

We just got out of bed 30 minutes ago and I thought Annie was doing pretty good. She jumped off the bed without any direction / encouragement from us. Was thinking she was able to see the floor OK. Then 5 minutes later, she walked head first into a planter on the patio, and got tangled up with the picnic table. Maybe she she was just in too big of a hurry to get off the patio for me to throw her squeaky ball. She's able to find the ball after a minute of running in circles.

Time to test, feed, inject.
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

It seems that most of the vision problems here on the forum are due to cataracts. Wondering how many have had trouble with glaucoma?

Annie seemed to be keeping the cataracts at bay, but got hit with glaucoma almost overnight. She's been getting pressure checks weekly, but even with all the eyedrops the eye pressure is staying high (think it was 39 last week, needs to be lower than 20? Best if around 10?). Another eye vet visit on Friday.
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Well intially it was cataracts, did fine for a month and one day out of the blue started squinting. Pressure was up.

10 is great

Any number really low (3 or 4ish) can indicate some possible inflammation.
        Mid - High teens is good
        Ed is at about 8-9 about 3 hours after Latanprost -

Again for consistency I would try and keep the app time the same at each visit if possible
        Ed gets his drops right before meal time and after fasting test.
        Some days sight seems better than others
        Inside vs outside etc..
        Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Jj,
          Annie had her cataract surgery about two years ago and had "minor" eye problems since then. She had been taking a whole mess of eye drops, including latanoprost. Then a month ago, wam! She started walking into the walls. She is now using:
          Latanoprost
          Timolol maleate
          Brimonidine tartrate
          Dorzolamide Hcl
          Tacrolimus
          Acetazolamide (powder)

Sure hope the eye pressure is down for Friday's check. I'm wondering if I should ask for a medical marijuana card?

Comment

Be thinking about you on Friday!

Ed's cocktail was ridiculous
            Dorzolamide
            Demecarium
            Lantanaprost
            Pred g or A
            Tacrolimus
            Diclofenac
            Timolol maleate (after 1st5 surgery) stopped it after 1st surgery slowed his heart rate too much.
            Opted for the 2nd surgery in November - pressures were too high - perfect now and reduced the cocktail to three
            PM me if you just want to talk I know where your head is at right now- or let it roll here -
            Hang in there
            All things positive for ya'll

Comment

Oh .
              and if you get that mary jane card we gon be friends

Comment

Jj,
                So, was Ed's surgery for cataracts, or glaucoma?

The eye vet mentioned a possible laser procedure if all the drops don't work by this Friday. Guess I'll know more then.

Comment

The 2nd surgery in November 2011 was specifically for Glaucoma.
                  He started creeping up and finally in November we had to do something
                  and it was laser surgery and a couple of injections. I was assured that we could keep him down in the 10ish range and he has been so far
                  The post surgery week was a bit brutal, but you are retired correct?

We had daily pressure checks, with additional dosing of pred G or A drops
                  I would drop him off and he would spend the day.

Then weekly, and finally monthly. We go once a month now for pressure checks.
                  Not sure what your Opths routine is but mine wanted to monitor him daily the first week or so.
                  Eventually we landed at Tacrolimus in the am, diclofenac am/pm and latanaprost Am/pm with this being the only drop for pressure.
                  Keep us posted and good luck.

Comment

Just found out from the vet today that the cataract surgery around here is a lot less expensive so now am wondering about it more. It sounds almost like there is a lot of work afterwards with this eye drop and that eye drop. I am tempted to think perhaps I could do this with Hank and then I realize he's got only so-so regulation. You'd do it again, JJ? Even with all the attending problems?
                    Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Originally posted by Shellie View Post
                      Just found out from the vet today that the cataract surgery around here is a lot less expensive so now am wondering about it more. It sounds almost like there is a lot of work afterwards with this eye drop and that eye drop. I am tempted to think perhaps I could do this with Hank and then I realize he's got only so-so regulation. You'd do it again, JJ? Even with all the attending problems?
                      I think the eye vet would be able to give you an idea how much vision might be improved. Also tell you about post surgery expenses. Annie got about two years of decent sight after her cataract surgery. We had both eyes done, but only one was "repaired". Now she has glaucoma! If I remember what the vet told me last week correctly, we may have two choices in the near future. Either laser surgery for the glaucoma, or have the eye removed. Another eye appointment tomorrow.

It's especially upsetting because we've been able to keep her BGs in what we thought was a good 100-250 range for the last 2+ years (very few 300+ tests).

Comment

Shellie
                        I am not sure- so I have to think about that some.
                        Even with perfect numbers Ed's pressure would spike,you would never know it then there were times that when he would spike- his numbers would shoot up indicating that he was uncomfortable.
                        You have to go into it knowing that ther are risk- others have had no problems at all.
                        Right now he is till sighted - I think we lost some- but he is happy, hungry, eating and numbers are not too shabby

Comment

Wishing you luck with the appointment tomorrow, Craig! Keep us posted.
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Good luck, Craig. Will be thinking of you and Annie.
                            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Adding my good wishes and thoughts too. Judi
                              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Hoping for good news craig.....keep us posted.
                                Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X