View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 09:31 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Dog diagnosed with diabetes 4/28/20

Sounds like your off to a good start . Like I said I use a discount meter which is the prodigy auto code . It works for jesse but not sure about any other dog . I have used the relion meter from walmart with similar results .The one touch ultra gets good reviews and has a good track record . I have used it and had similar results to my other meters . Remember its not going to be perfect and you need to make sure you get enough blood for a sample for the meter to work correctly . Usually larger breeds are easier . I have used jesses inner lip for her entire diabetic life to get a blood sample . Practice tests could help with that even before you get a meter and lance device by just rolling up the lip and maybe wiping with a napkin .I Buy all my strips on eBay and usually get about 600 strips as quantity can save . They say the methyl version of b-12 is best but there is no set procedure on dosing . Remember it takes full curves to make dose adjustments and that is based on the lowest number in that curve

Fish is good My jesse gets canned mackerel and just loves it . I think she is the reincarnation of my cat as a child as she is more cat like than dog haha
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number