Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Monster Vinny

Glad to hear positive news on the Stinker! They only do it to wind us up, you know!
    Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsters Momma View Post
      He's eating well again and his bg numbers are better. But even more that that, he has his energy back and he acts like nothing happened.

So that's my update. Thank you all for your advice, prayers, and positive thoughts sent this way!!
      Mel and her Stinker Vinny!

That's great news. I'm harry for you and Vin!
      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Yay! So happy to hear that!
        Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

That's such great news! So happy for all of you
          Chuck-108 lb male Rottweiler, 8 years old. Dx Sept. 24, 2014. 22.5 units of Novolin N 2 x a day. Alpha Track 2. 2 1/2 cup Purina OM Select Blend, 2 x a day. Also mom to 2 Boxer boys, I love my 3 boys-chucksmom aka Kim

Comment

Very happy for all of the good news. Old age certainly is not for the weak at heart... bless Vinny for managing to fight his way back and enjoy life.

Natalie

Comment

Great news for Stinker Vinney and you, too!
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Today I'm thankful for many things...this community is definitely up there on the list! I have been so blessed by all of you!!

Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless!
                Mel and Vinny
                Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Ditto😄, happy thanksgiving to all of you and yours!
                  Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving!
                    Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Hey Mel,

Happy Turkey Day to you & Vinny too! Glad to hear he's doing well!!
                      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

hope you guys are having a nice long weekend.
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

its great time to reflect on whats important
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hi All~~

This may fall under the category of "Looking a Gift-Horse In The Mouth", but I am really confused about this.

We switched Vinny a few month's ago to Novolin from Vetsulin. There were several reasons, but the main ones were 1) We could not get him to gain weight and 2) We never felt 'regulated' on Vetsulin. We had tried it for two years and felt we needed a fresh start...food and all.

Fast forward to now, Vinny's BG has been nothing but steady! When we do curves he rarely has any numbers outside of a range of 100...and usually better than that. The only problem is it is usually in the high 200's or low 300's. We've inched our way up to 30 units 2x's a day and still his BG is right in that range. Now here's the really weird part...he has gained about 8 lbs!! I can't see his ribs sticking out from his skin anymore. He's not begging for food, although his clock is off with Daylight Savings Time! And his energy level is up a bit.

So, can you see where I'm going here? Here's my confusion...I thought he wouldn't gain weight until he was regulated, and I thought 'regulated' meant his BG would be in the lower 200's, high 100's. So, is he regulated where he is? Do I accept where he is and thank God he seems healthy? I truly am thankful, I just don't know what to do with this now!

Counting my blessings,
                            Mel and Vinny
                            Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

well you know I'm no expert but Vinny apparently has not read the manual! If it were me, I'd base my decisions on how is feeling and acting and not sweat a "perfect" regulation.

The only question is his eyesight. Could running in the 200-300's make him more of a risk for cataracts? I have no clue, my Jenny got hers so quickly.

Way to go Mr. Vinny. he could settle down a bit once his weight settles too.

excellent news!
                              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Hi Mel,

It could be that if he is gaining weight, he will need more insulin. Have you been feeding him more? Just a thought.

So glad he is doing better.

Barb
                                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Working...
                                X