Scruff the Schnauzer, Rest in Peace 10/31/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scruff the Schnauzer

Just another update on Scruff the mini-Schnauzer.

Well, he continues to do just fine considering his disease. He turned 10 this month.

He still goes hiking with us but the energy level is not what it was pre-diabetic and when he was much younger.

I continue to feed him Kibbles and Bits with boiled chicken mixed with a teaspoon full of low fat sour cream, twice per day. Frozen cut green beans and low fat string cheese are the snacks. I do give him a half piece of dog bone treat once per day.

I do not let his feeding time vary no more than an hour. He goes out in the morning for his usual roam through the rural neighborhood. Other than hot days, he stays out for about an hour, sometimes two hours. So, besides our weekend hikes, his daily routine provides plenty of exercise. He's loving the cooler weather now.
    Miniature Schnauzer, named Scruff! My wife and I are retired and do a lot of traveling in our vintage VW Vanagon. Most recent trip was to Alaska, 2014. Scruff went along too!

Comment

Belated Happy Birthday Scruff!
      Great update, so glad he is doing well, and still active. I hope he enjoys many more birthdays.
      Chuck-108 lb male Rottweiler, 8 years old. Dx Sept. 24, 2014. 22.5 units of Novolin N 2 x a day. Alpha Track 2. 2 1/2 cup Purina OM Select Blend, 2 x a day. Also mom to 2 Boxer boys, I love my 3 boys-chucksmom aka Kim

Comment

I missed seeing this when it was posted but I am so glad to see Scruff is doing so well! Happy belated Birthday! Great update!
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Scruff did a 5.5 mile hike with us yesterday afternoon. We hiked a loop trail with a great variety of ups and downs as well as twists and turns. Although my wife and I were doing some fall photography along the way, we did the hike in about 4 hours with the last two miles at a very fast clip.

Scruff did exceptionally well, mostly taking the lead. By the time we got back to the vehicle it, it was feeding time and meds. We were prepared and did everything right there in the parking lot.

And, he was up early and out and about in the neighborhood for over an hour.

This makes three weekends in a row of trail hiking with Scruff. We were in the Great Smoky Mountains last weekend.............
          Miniature Schnauzer, named Scruff! My wife and I are retired and do a lot of traveling in our vintage VW Vanagon. Most recent trip was to Alaska, 2014. Scruff went along too!

Comment

Go Scruff! What wonderful news that your pup is doing so well!!

Brenda
            11 yr. old Bichon Frise...Diagnosed April 2015...Novolin 2x/day; snacks- frozen green beans, dehydrated chicken piece and frozen pumpkin pieces.

Comment

Happy to hear that the little guy is doing so well :-)
              Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Glad Scruff is enjoying his adventures with you guys!
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by AndyBees View Post
                  Scruff did a 5.5 mile hike with us yesterday afternoon. We hiked a loop trail with a great variety of ups and downs as well as twists and turns. Although my wife and I were doing some fall photography along the way, we did the hike in about 4 hours with the last two miles at a very fast clip.

Scruff did exceptionally well, mostly taking the lead. By the time we got back to the vehicle it, it was feeding time and meds. We were prepared and did everything right there in the parking lot.

And, he was up early and out and about in the neighborhood for over an hour.

This makes three weekends in a row of trail hiking with Scruff. We were in the Great Smoky Mountains last weekend.............
                  I remember we use to hike with Abby as well. I would bring my meter, treats so to bring up blood sugar if needed, as well as some protein ones.

She did great... hiked up Mount Mitchell, the highest peak in North Carolina., while being diabetic.

Safe travels, it warms my heart to see life to go as usual, and making more memories.

Barb
                  Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

I'd like to thank this web site and all of it's support as well as those who've expressed interest and concern for Scruff. He was an awesome side-kick that I'll never forget.

Unfortunately, this morning he was killed by a Coyote. I let him out as usual about 6:05 am. My wife come running down stairs asking me if I had let Scruff out. She said she heard an awful sound of distress out by the road (we live in the rural). We leave the window slightly ajar in our bedroom. I had stayed down stairs and turned on the TV.

Anyway, I could not find him or hear anything but normal night sounds. My cousin owns two Boxers but they stay inside and did not respond to my calls. Also, my son has two old mutts that barked a bit but were quiet by the time I got dressed and ran out.

So, based on my wife's explanation, it sounded as if it was over in a matter of seconds. When daylight comes, I'll try to find any evidence of where and what. But, at this point it is obvious he's gone as he knows the sound of my VW Van and would have come to me immediately. He did not.

Again, thanks for all your support.

Scruff: September 2005 - October 31, 2015. Rest in peace my little friend.

Comment

I am so sorry! I started reading your posts this morning (from the start)
                      My husband thinks I'm losing it, I totally lost it reading this post. Again, hopefully that is not the case and you find him alive. I have my fingers crossed and sending prayers your way!

Comment

Originally posted by cnnallen View Post
                        I am so sorry! I started reading your posts this morning (from the start)
                        My husband thinks I'm losing it, I totally lost it reading this post. Again, hopefully that is not the case and you find him alive. I have my fingers crossed and sending prayers your way!
                        Thank you!

But, unfortunately, he's not coming back. We've looked all over for him....... not a sign of a struggle, etc. I suspect in the fight his neck was broken and it was over rather quick. Coyotes eat anything, including small dogs.

It's been tough all morning dealing with this.

What do we do now is the big question? All those memories, pictures, play toys, bedding, bowls, left-over food, meds, etc., things that are a constant reminder are everywhere in and around this house as well as in our VW Van.

Maybe this is better than the ultimate, dealing with the end results of diabetes! It just would have been nice to had a grave for him out back in the woods somewhere.

Comment

as a child growing up in the suburbs we always let ou dogs out to run the neighborhood . some of the dogs around the corner would come to our house scratch at the door wanting our dogs to go run the neighborhood very funny to watch like friends coming over and saying lets go out to play

all our dogs had something happen which ended there life . hit by a car attacked by other dogs and one disappeared never to be seen again

this is the way a dog should truly live. free to come and go not lassoed and restricted but with this there is risk to something happening . because that outside world can be dangerous ( for all animals including us )

now dogs are not allowed to run on there own in population areas which makes sense for safety reasons for dog and humane but in rural areas like you guys a dog can still go and explore his or her world on there own

scuff got that opportunity that most dogs dont see . most stay inside most of the day and sleep . thee maybe a small backyard to go out and do there business

scruff got to enjoy life the way a dog should free to explore a dogs life . he lived life to the fullest .
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about little Scruff. I'm sure he is running free at the Bridge.
                            Last edited by Cara Sandler; 10-31-2015, 03:13 PM.
                            Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

I am sorry for the loss of Scruff. I grew up in the country and we suspect we lost our beloved rat terrier to coyotes. He was a fierce little guy and scared of nothing. The only advantage(not sure if that is the correct word) to losing a dog in that way is there is no heart wrenching decision to make.

You can take some of his things and make a shadow box or order a stone. A company called Ceramica makes some really nice River Rocks that can be inscribed with a name and date. You might contact them and see if there is a dealer in your area or order directly from them. They are reasonable for the quality. (Our store sells them) You could choose a spot in your yard - maybe a spot where he liked to hang out.

Scruff lived life on his terms and what a wonderful adventurous life he had. I am very sorry for your loss. Run free Sweet Scruff!

Comment

I'm so sorry. We live in the country and it is a constant worry. At least it was quick. I like Amy's ideas. Scruff had a great life with you.
                                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                                X