Cataract surgery? Romeo update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with glucose meter

I’ve been using the AlphaTrak 2 but their strips are sooo expensive that I have been using Pet Sure strips which were half the price. This week I’ve been upset to be getting high readings over 500, but it was puzzling because he seems fine and the next time I would test him he would read what would be expected for him. I even took him to the vet and had his urine tested but all was fine.

This morning I did a fasting test on him that was 680! I was shook. I tested him a second time five minutes later and it was 331.

My guess was that there is something wrong with the meter. I called the company and they were willing to troubleshoot but needed the number off their test strip bottle and of course I haven’t been using theirs. So they couldnt help me. Also told me control liquid no good if more than three months old.

I’m not sure what to do. AlphaTraks very expensive so hesitate to buy a new one. Does anyone know how long the battery lasts? Bought this in Feb. If battery goes bad would you get high readings?

Maybe I should get a human meter? I really get ticked off paying a double price for strips simply because they have somewhat of a monopoly on the pet meter market.
    Romeo, toy poodle dx diabetic Feb 2019. Natural Balance L.I.D. Sweet Potato Bison, Whole Life freeze dried turkey snacks. Vetsulin 2.5 units every 12 hrs. Ocu-Glo supplement. Dry eyes: Tacrolimus 1.0 (max dose available) 3x day and Diclofenac drops 2x day, along with Genteel gel lubricant at least 3-4 x/day.

Comment

Re: Problems with glucose meter

Well jesse has been using a discount human meter for over 9 years and i believe it is consistent not getting wildly different numbers back to back . I dont think you can say the meter is not working properly not using the strips that are specific to it . Glad your pup is doing well
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

The Alpha will give a warning on the display if the battery is low. My first battery lasted about 2 years.

I always believe there is a risk in using different strips for a meter. Others on here I believe use a human meter but use the proper meter strips with it. Then they figure out the math to convert the readings to the dog equivalent.

So maybe consider a different meter and the appropriate strips. And keep one vial of Alpha strips to be able to spot check the new/human meter now and then.
        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

What human meter do you use?
          Romeo, toy poodle dx diabetic Feb 2019. Natural Balance L.I.D. Sweet Potato Bison, Whole Life freeze dried turkey snacks. Vetsulin 2.5 units every 12 hrs. Ocu-Glo supplement. Dry eyes: Tacrolimus 1.0 (max dose available) 3x day and Diclofenac drops 2x day, along with Genteel gel lubricant at least 3-4 x/day.

Comment

Jesse uses the prodigy auto code but i have used a bunch of human meters and they all seemed to run about the same numbers except for the true trak and that meter only had problems at higher levels reading to high as you were seeing but was good at lower levels

They say the best human meter is the one touch ultra and i did a side by side comparison and they were relatively close so i have stuck with it for maybe 8 years as it was less expensive to operate

As raysaint said check on your battery as a low battery can make electronics act funky
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Cataract surgery? Romeo update

Sorry it has been a while since I posted. I found an excellent internist who helped me get Romeo’s sugar under control. He is now on 2.5 units Vetsulin twice a day and doing well. His average on blood curve is about 225 and he seems healthy with no symptoms, other than worsening cataracts and dry eyes.Internist referred me to ophthalmologist who says he is a candidate for cataract surgery but we must move quickly due to dry eye issue. Has anyone here had that surgery, if so how did your dog fare? The complication is Romeo’s dry eyes which might lead to corneal ulcers with or without the surgery. Lens rupture is a possibility without the surgery but most other complications are with or without. 50% chance of complications without surgery, 15% chance with surgery. Having a hard time making decision. Surgery could make dry eyes worse and he is already on Tacrolimus maximum dosage.
              Any thoughts are welcome. Cost not an issue, we have very good pet insurance.

Comment

Re: Cataract surgery? Romeo update

Jesse was fortunate to have kept her sight so we dont have any direct knowledge of the surgery but being on the forum for almost 10 years I have seen results of dogs having the surgery and it pretty good. I get the impression its 75 percent effective . The key appears to be making sure you follow what needs to done to the letter and no deviation or complacency even long after the surgery .

No guarantees either way . Each situation is unique

Glad you found regulation . That could be affected by the surgery so something to be aware of

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The 75% sounds in the ball park. Yes they emphasized around the clock compliance for the first two weeks after surgery and daytime compliance thereafter, lifetime eye meds after but he is already on eyedrops for life. I did not realize the implications of dry eye when they first diagnosed and was not as diligent with the eye drops, he quickly developed corneal ulcers but they healed. I won’t make that mistake again. You are very knowledgeable!

Comment

Romeo isscheduled for cataract surgery March 10. Wish us luck!

Comment

fingers and paws crossed for a positive outcome . keep us posted
                      Last edited by jesse girl; 02-15-2020, 08:09 AM.

Comment

aww, best of luck!
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Romeo had his cataract surgery Tuesday and is doing very well! He will not get 100% of sight back because there had been significant corneal scarring, but he is seeing. Not bumping into things any more, looks to find me, etc. all I could have hoped for. On 48 hr check up, he was fine with eye pressure, etc., but had fat in his eyeballs. She recommended switching him to a lower fat diet. With his allergy to chicken and corn it is nearly impossible to find a new dog food. I am thinking of making my own with turkey breast. Any advice as to recipes?

Comment

Have you considered a limited ingredient dog food?
                            Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

jesse has been homemade for her 10 year diabetic life . Skinless chicken is what we have been using for the last few years as the primary meat protein . I buy in quantity when on sale and freeze

glad the surgery went well and hope for positive outcome . You may want to hold off on a change in diet until the eyes heal . This gives some time for you to do your research on what direction to go

Comment

Working...
                              X