Border collie Jack passed away on February 28, 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jack the project!

Boy, I am just catching up with all the posts and I see that you are under a lot of stress with both your fur babies Natalie, and yet find time to help other <parents< in need.

I hope and pray that whatever decision you make, all will go well for Jack and that you will be able to find the best course of treatment.

Isn't it the hardest part to watch them go through pain and trying to decide what is best for them?

Good luck Natalie

Louise

Comment

Natalie,
      you are on point in not needing the finest piece of equipmnet for this scan, It is more than likely that you will get the answer disc protruding or not
      Probably one of the easiest of scans to do on a dog Jack's size.
      Hnag in there.
      Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Thanks for that information JJ! I really appreciate your advice about this.

While dealing with Gus, I asked my favorite vet for his thoughts about the neurology issue and the MRI. After I went through my concerns, he felt that Dr. Kay's hospital was the best choice.

So I made an appointment there in early April. I need to call them back to check on the cost. Not because it would change anything - just to plan for paying it. I only talked to the person who answered the phone but she was very pleasant, which is always a good sign.

And I don't have that knot in my stomach like I did after I made the other appointment.

Natalie

Comment

MRI is tomorrow or the next day - hopefully tomorrow after a 9:30 appt. But we are packing a bag just in case we need to stay over. There is a motel right across the parking lot that accepts dogs.

Natalie

Comment

• Re: Jack the project! - Bone Voyage

Likely I'm too late to catch you before you leave, but wishing you and Jack a Bone Voyage.

I gather you're going to Dr. Nancy Kay's hospital - should be great!

Sending the Forces of the Universe with you, and waving my magic wand for good measure, while Camellia waves hers, too.

Mon, 4 Apr 2011 06:29:37 (PDT)
            http://www.coherentdog.org/
            CarolW

Comment

Wishing you all the best and hope it goes as smoothly as possible....love the pet-friendly motel across the parking lot....doesn't get much better than that!

Comment

Praying all goes well and you get some answers with the scan!
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Positive tail wags are coming your way!
                  Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Interesting day. And no MRI done.

The neurologist gave Jack a very thorough examination. And he wasn't able to elicit or demonstrate any expressions of pain or any neurological impairments despite cranking pretty hard on his back. Which is essentially where the previous neurologist left off too - that the diagnosis is "apparent back pain" that's demonstrated by Jack's poor exercise tolerance and sometime stiffness and limping.

He asked that we take Jack off of his Metacam for four or five days and bring him back for another exam in a week conducted without the benefit of his anti-inflammatory medication. And to take some video of him while exercising if we can capture some of the signs of pain in Jack and push Jack a bit more to see how he responds to running and jumping.

We can call off the whole thing if, off of Metacam, he seems okay.

The neurologist's feeling is that the MRI should be done only when he or someone has identified and localized the source of Jack's pain and at this point he is unable to do that. His symptoms don't necessarily fit well with blown discs at the thoracic/lumbar junction. Not that they couldn't be the source of pain. But the pain could be coming from some entirely different region of the spine or some other part of his body.

At his current level of impairment, he said even if Jack had a blown disc he wouldn't recommend surgery because it's so invasive but would rather manage it with pain control. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet but I'm on board with further evaluating Jack and trying to better identify what's causing his poor exercise tolerance.

So that's the plan - back to his office next Tuesday for another exam and, in the interim, see if we can capture on video some of his signs of pain.

I have mixed feelings... I'm kind of wrung out emotionally and would have liked to have some resolution / identification of the problem. But, at the same time, I think his plan makes sense. And the fact that we didn't have this conversation with the previous neurologist makes me feel like we are doing the best thing by having Jack seen by this one.

Jack is tired! Two hours in the car each way, nonstop standing up looking out the windows.

Jack did well in the exam. He was muzzled, of course, and he did growl a couple of times when the doc was manipulating his limbs - it was not the most fun exam for him. But he didn't hold a grudge and generally did great. He was leaning into Jeff for protection, which, given how much difficulty Jack had trusting Jeff two years ago, was very sweet to see.

Natalie

Comment

I have mixed feelings... I'm kind of wrung out emotionally and would have liked to have some resolution / identification of the problem. But, at the same time, I think his plan makes sense. And the fact that we didn't have this conversation with the previous neurologist makes me feel like we are doing the best thing by having Jack seen by this one.
                      I can understand that. You want to know as much as you can, whether that's through an MRI or otherwise. Sounds like a good plan...and a tiring day for Jack coming up.

He was leaning into Jeff for protection, which, given how much difficulty Jack had trusting Jeff two years ago, was very sweet to see.
                      Awe. Love that!
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I think I like this vet who examined Jack. I like the thoughts and the plans. And I LOVE it that Jack leaned into Jeff!

Jack is tired? (haha!) You also must be really, really tired; yet you continue to help others on the forum.

Sounds like a bit of a tough week coming up, but undoubtedly worth the experiment. I'm also very glad to know Dr. Kay's hospital has such a good neurologist. OUGHT to have, in theory at least, but it seems to me the guy is excellent; I like the approach.

Now, for about the umpteenth time tonight, I'm off to bed - shortly, anyway!

Mon, 4 Apr 2011 21:43:10 (PDT)
                        http://www.coherentdog.org/
                        CarolW

Comment

You do have a tough week coming up - please keep us posted on how he is doing. I sure hope you can capture some of the moments of pain on video.

Good luck Natalie!!

Tami
                          Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Natalie,

Poor wee Jack it must have been painful for him............I am hoping and praying for a good outcome to this Natalie.

Jeff was his protector he was looking to Jeff to say "Don't let this guy hurt me"

It would be nice to get a proper diagnosis..........I know how you feel

Hugs

Margaret
                            Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Our second neurology appointment is tomorrow.

Jack has definitely been in pain this week. He limps or walks stiffly at times and he's been subdued and a little "edgy" in that his tolerance for fearful situations is not as good. This is something we saw in October too, before we had him on Metacam every day.

I'm hoping for a chance to say hi to Dr. Kay also.

Natalie

Comment

Prayers for your guy Natalie. I imagine he's going to be a tired, sore pup tomorrow. Hoping it yields some answers.
                                Patty

Comment

Working...
                                X