Flopsy and I are new here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flopsy and I are new here

Flopsy was diagnosed with diabetes last February. I am a retired RN so started with at least some background with the disease. She and the veternarians have brought me up to speed, but I still have a lot to learn.

Our new issue this week is blindness. She had sudden onset during the afternoon Monday. On Tuesday she saw two different vets and was diagnosed with glaucoma in the left eye, cataracts and conjunctivitis in both eyes. The blindness is a whole new experience for me.

I am trying to teach her some new words. She caught onto "watch out" quickly and stops when I say it. I say "this way" when we are walking together and she veers off course, or seems to be lost when she is in the house. She is doing very well inside.

Outside is a big issue, though. She will only follow the watch out command and the this way most of the time. Instead of going our usual routes on our walks, even with me saying this way she just wanders aimlessly. If I wasn't an older lady, I might could just let her wander around but I am not and cannot hold out to walk all over the neighborhood. She seems to recognize a lot of her favorite places to poop and gets business taken care of, but gets there by wandering from one side of the street to the other, going back a ways, then turning again, etc,. Fortun=tely I live in a small, quiet neighborhood with very few cars going by. She still follows the command I havve used for years, "wait up", to stand still beside the road when a car is coming by.
    l
    Any helpful hints?

Thanks, Susan

Re: Flopsy and I are new here

Hey and Welcome! I really can relate to the sudden onset - my Maggie went blind almost overnight. We had cataract surgery for her. She had terrible separation anxiety due to her prior abusive home. Otherwise I would have let her just be blind, but she was constantly crying if she wasn’t held or talked to. They usually do adjust - don’t move the furniture suddenly and you will just have to watch closer. Some of the people here probably have more experience as far as better tips.
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
    X