• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Another new dog meter for sale!
    http://www.eoutletdeals.com/petlet-b...for-dogs-cats/

Don't think I'll add this one just yet to Annie's collection 😀

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Lol, you're so funny Craig!!
      Another meter to test with
      Let us know when you try it,and how much strips are
      Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Looking forward some good update about Annie

Comment

Great article!
          https://www.facebook.com/wholedogjou...54346562539901

Just remember Walmart switched from Humilin-N to Novolin-N several years ago.
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
            Great article!
            https://www.facebook.com/wholedogjou...54346562539901

Just remember Walmart switched from Humilin-N to Novolin-N several years ago.
            the new drug for fireworks sounds interesting wish i had some for jesse this week. fire works have begun poor baby
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Wow! Annie bled a river this evening. 92 degrees just before her evening blood test when we went out for a 3 minute pee / poop break. Her ears are one of the places where she gets rid of body heat, so there is good blood flow on hot days. Had to apply pressure for a minute to get the flow to stop.

I'm now wondering if the insulin will act faster if we go back outside before the sun sets and it cools off?

Craig

Comment

took jesse out for her rabbit chase. she had an early shot this morning because i had an engagement to go to so i expected her to be higher at dinner and shot time after her rabbit chase and she was 90 so i gave her 2 units and tested at 7:30 pm and expected her to be higher and she was 81 so we will hold off for a bit to give the split dose

maybe the heat maybe the latter shot i wish i knew

its been very hot here . i pour water over jesse before she goes out after rabbits to keep her cool and plenty to drink she will not let the heat stop her from going

definitely easier to get blood even jesse's lip bleeds a bit more when she is hot
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

In Texas a week or so ago in 100+ weather, had to put an ice cube on the ear after testing to stop the blood flow. Way to hot!! Esp for pugs.

Arrived on Vancouver Island a few days ago, pugs love the cooler weather, and for the first time for a very long time, I had trouble getting enough blood to test. But will change to 70-80 degree weather gladly and leave the 100s
                  behind.

Comment

Well, I made Annie a happy pup yesterday, but payed for it with HIGH blood glucose readings later in the day.

She was 122 at her 6:30am breakfast. We humans didn't have our breakfast until 9:30 because I went back to bed after taking care of Annie. We had corned beef hash with fried eggs (yummy for us, but high in carbs). Linda heated two cans of the hash which was way too much for us: see where this is going? We probably had one standard serving leftover, and instead of saving it for later, I figured "how much damage can one serving size do to Annie"? She gobbled the hash at around 10:30. Yep, she tested 466 at 6:30pm! She ate her normal (as normal as possible for an old picky eater) meal and I added an extra unit of Novolin-R (4 instead of 3), and her normal evening 9.25 units of Novolin-N. This morning she was an OK 211, so my guess wasn't too far off.

Lesson learned. No high carb human mid-day meal for Annie. Actually, maybe if I had given 2 units of Novolin-R along with the hash?

Age is really sneaking up on her (15 in September). She sleeps most of the day, I check the time and wake her every 4-5 hours to go outside. Meals are becoming a challenge (except for hash), but she usually will eat most of her meals. I just ordered 1000 poop bags from Amazon, so she better stick around and not stick me with a bunch of bags

Craig

Comment

yikes that's quite a jump

annie sounds like she is in good shape and enjoying her dogs life. wow 15 .

there are many alternatives to dosing craig as you know with food issues so i dont see that as a real problem for you guys

Comment

Maggie lost her appetite as she got older. I went to more canned and less dry as we went. Could her teeth be bothering her?
                        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                          Maggie lost her appetite as she got older. I went to more canned and less dry as we went. Could her teeth be bothering her?
                          This is exactly what I'm finding. Years ago she ate plain dry kibble (water on the side). Then I started adding a splash of water to soak the kibble for a minute or two. Then came the 50/50 mix of canned and kibble. Now it's mostly canned with just a little kibble.

It's been about a year(?) since her last well-dog check and the vet commented that her teeth looked OK. She gets a Greenie dental treat (pretty hard) as desert and doesn't have trouble chewing them, so I'm thinking her mouth is OK.

Maybe I should just give in and drop MY desire to feed kibble and go with canned. That would make things easier and less cluttered (have partial bags of Blue Buffalo and NutriSource taking up space).

Time to wake her to go outside

Craig

Comment

I found the last kibble I used with Maggie, was a really easy to eat size for a small dog. It was Natural balance duck and legume. I was not a huge fan of Natural Balance as a company since they sold to Delmonte but I must say their limited ingredient diets are really great for dogs that have issues like pancreatitis or allergies. Even Mya, my schnauzer, with terrible teeth can eat the kibble - it is small and really thin. They might send you a sample or maybe a pet store near you could get you a sample before you added to your dry dog food collection.

I don't know why but I always wanted Maggie to have a little dry because it is harder to digest. I, too, don't know why I always wanted kibble. I always felt it helped teeth but in reality, that is more of a myth. A vet tech friend told me that kibble can actually cause their teeth and gums to have grit remain between their teeth and gums. You are using Zymox water additive and Greeenies so her teeth have something to clean them. So, you could transition to canned - I just wonder what effect it would have on blood sugar. Maggie was lower when she ate strictly canned but you know she was a weirdo
                            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                              I found the last kibble I used with Maggie, was a really easy to eat size for a small dog. It was Natural balance duck and legume. I was not a huge fan of Natural Balance as a company since they sold to Delmonte but I must say their limited ingredient diets are really great for dogs that have issues like pancreatitis or allergies. Even Mya, my schnauzer, with terrible teeth can eat the kibble - it is small and really thin. They might send you a sample or maybe a pet store near you could get you a sample before you added to your dry dog food collection.

I don't know why but I always wanted Maggie to have a little dry because it is harder to digest. I, too, don't know why I always wanted kibble. I always felt it helped teeth but in reality, that is more of a myth. A vet tech friend told me that kibble can actually cause their teeth and gums to have grit remain between their teeth and gums. You are using Zymox water additive and Greeenies so her teeth have something to clean them. So, you could transition to canned - I just wonder what effect it would have on blood sugar. Maggie was lower when she ate strictly canned but you know she was a weirdo
                              jesses diet which is homemade consists of processed up food to give it a soft consistency . early with this mindset i thought she nee something hard like a kibble to keep her teeth in good shape and i added it to her food .well the numbers did not work well with that idea so i abandon that thought and today her teeth and gums are great at almost 12 no brushing or additives just what she eats which is like i said quite soft and not much need for any effort as far as chewing. pleasantly surprised

jesses little beagle friend Cindy is 8 and eats kibble and has infections in her mouth that she needs to have some work done
                              Last edited by jesse girl; 08-07-2016, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Jenny needed less insulin when only eating canned too. Yay you can test more!
                                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                                X