Annie & Craig - Getting too smart!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Here's an Annie update that she posted on her FaceBook account!

"Had my yearly check-up with the puppy eye doctor this morning. The good news is that everything looked good and I've been reduced to only needing Tracolimus ointment! Dr. K THOUGHT she would trim the hair around my face: AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! I put up a big fight, three of them trying to hold me down. I finally got tired and allowed a little face grooming, AFTER I PEED AND POOPED ON THE EXAM TABLE!!

I think I'll go take a nap.

By the way, when we got home Dad tested my blood glucose: 57! Dad gave me a nice treat to raise it back into the good range. Of course the blood glucose will likely be HIGH later this afternoon."

Annie DID NOT like the face grooming. The 15 year old pup put up a good fight!

Craig

Update: 70 minutes after the 57 and treat, she just tested 112.. Can't be sure if the treat is what brought her up to 112, or if she would have risen just calming down.
    Last edited by CraigM; 12-20-2016, 12:19 PM.
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

lots of fun for miss annie

glad all is well craig
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Love hearing Annie stories!!!

Also love that she still posts on FB - even at her age! GO ANNIE!

Merry Christmas!
        Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Love Annie's post Craig. Did she wind up high? I know Ali would have. What a day!
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I NEED MORE SLEEP!

Here my story. For years Annie and I would get up at 6:15, go out to do her morning "thing", then have her breakfast between 6:30 - 7:00. For the past month or two she has been waking at 4:00, even if we go to bed after midnight. If I don't wake up right away and take her out, she will make a "mess" near the door

So I'm now taking her out around 4:00 and back into bed at 4:15. Some time around 5:00 she will wake again and start making "puppy noises" to wake me again! She doesn't need to go outside, but now wants her breakfast between 5:00 and 5:30! I blood test, generally in the mid 100s, and feed her. Back to bed, and if I allow her, she will stay in her puppy bed until noon!!

I've tried locking her out of the bedroom after her 4:00 trip outside, but she would soon start barking after 5:00!.

Bottom line is that she is winning this battle. I'm now testing / feeding at 5:00, even though I don't go to bed until after midnight. I go back to bed until around 7:00, and Annie goes back to sleep until I make her get up around noon!

Boy am I being trained!

Craig
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Annie has you figured out. Now I understand her thread title
              Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
              Diabetes: Aug 2013
              Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
              Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

lol she is good at training you. Annie does not understand Daylight Savings Time. Maybe you should move to Arizona?
                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I had a similar situation with Riles. I change his feed and injection time to coincide with the weather which is easier on my asthma. in summer hot months his schedule is 11am and 11 pm. recently I changed him to winter time 7 and 7..

u might try forcing her biological clock and up her times maybe to 8 and 8.

with a quick pee time around 10 or 11

good luck the older they get the more independent they r.
                  Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                  20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Well, Craig, potty goes with breakfast. That's how it works!

Having lived with a border collie for the past eight years... I know better than to not follow the rules! We do things at certain times and in a certain order and Mr. Manager is only too happy to point out when I screw up. LOL

Glad you're able to go back to sleep. That ability saved my life with Chris' 4am meals and injections.

Natalie

Comment

These older pups are tough - the last year with Maggie, it seemed, was so hard to keep the " schedule" that I had been so stringent about. She had very different ideas and I realized that with all the testing I did, I could make adjustments for her comfort and mine. I am just glad with her dementia that she didn't have the insomnia that many dogs did. She loved sleep more than going outside or even food.

It does sound like Annie is an excellent person trainer because she has you trained perfectly. Hoping she allows you to get some rest soon!
                      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

New diabetic in the house to use some of my older meters on! ME

I figured it was coming because I've been "pre-diabetic" for years. I had an A1C test the other day and I came back 6.5%. Guess being 72 years old and overweight caught up with me. So I'm starting low dose meds for type-2 diabetes today. Will seriously try to loose some weight (after I finish the mocha I'm currently drinking) and restart my 10K steps per day walking regimen. At least I have 5 human meters to dust off and use.

We are now a 100% diabetic household. Linda has been type-2 for several years, Annie for 9 years, and now me.

Craig

Comment

Craig. I'm so sorry. You definitely better not be a wimp about testing! I hope the diet and exercise get your levels down
                          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I did have good success with diet as i was pre diabetic but not anymore

it does take discipline actually jesse was my inspiration
                            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

• Re: Annie & Craig - Getting too smart!

My hubby had good luck with his pre-diabetes by riding his bike 5 miles a day....much easier here in Florida than in Wisconsin, at least this time of year🚴
                              Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

• Re: Annie & Craig - Getting too smart!

Sorry to hear that news Craig, but at least you've got plenty of meters to go round!
                                Antonia
                                Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X