Otis Farrell July 24, 1999 - October 4, 2013 RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Otis Farrell July 24, 1999 - October 4, 2013 RIP

I'm so sorry to hear that sad news. I hope you'll be comforted by the lovely memories you have of Otis and knowing you did all you possibly could for him.
    Antonia
    Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

My heart is on fire...I have no words. We have all been together for so long....Otis was "ours"....

So glad you were with him....so sad he is no longer physically by your side...

Tami, Sydney and soaph
      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Bill,

My thoughts and prayers are certainly surrounding you today. What a WONDERFUL caretaker you where for sweet Otis. I always appreciated your help and comments and please know that we are all here to listen and share in your grief.
        Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Bill,
          My thoughts are with you and I hope that all of your wonderful memories of the time you had with Otis will bring you comfort.

Emily
          Emily & Elliot
          Elliot is a 25 lb. min. schnauzer, 10 yrs. old, dx 3/2013. dx Cataracts 8/2013 resulting in loss of sight. AlphaTrak 2 Meter with Freestyle Lite strips. Hills W/D glucose management kibble with add ins of poached chicken and Beneful soft food.

Comment

Bill
            My heart just sank when I saw your post. I am so very sorry for the loss of your buddy Otis. We all know what you boy meant to you.

I am going through the same with Cleo and I dread that day will also come for her.

Sending you a big virtual hug. Run pain free Otis

Louise

Comment

Oh Bill! The loss of a best friend like Otis has to hit hard. They love us unconditionally and that isn't something easy to lose. I am praying for comfort and peace in this time of loss. I am so sorry.
              Mel
              Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
                Otis Farrell July 24, 1999 - October 4, 2013 RIP

Otis passed away peacefully in his dad's loving arms at 5:30 CDT today.

This battle was one we couldn't win. Thanks to all of you, it wasn't diabetes which claimed Otis, but congestive heart failure.

I'll fill you in with the details in the next few days. Right now, I'm devastated by the loss of my best friend.

Again, thanks to all!
                So sorry for your loss...he knew how loved he was...may he run free know...
                sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...

Comment

hi Bill, I thought about you a lot today. I went to a gathering and the only dog there was a pug.

what a spirit this little guy was. made me think of the photos in your album of Otis when he was a pup. while I was watching this little guy today and starting to know and care for him in the short time I was with him brought home how difficult it is when you lose the larger then life personality dogs as I think O was.

I know he was faltering towards the end, but am sure he still had a very large presence.

Post when you feel up to it, just wanted you to know you, O and the.....larger then life pain that you are feeling now were on my mind today.

Tara
                  Tara in honor of Ruby.
                  She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                  Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Hey Bill
                    Just logged on to see this - been off for a bit, fighting our own challenges here.
                    So very sorry for your loss of the Big O.
                    So honored to share his Birthdate 7/24 as well
                    A fighter and sweetheart he was..
                    RIP Otis Farrell - you are loved
                    Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Even though I have only just joined this group. please allow me to say how sorry I am for the loss of your little guy. Any time one of our furkids passes over the Bridge, it tears a hole in our heart. Sending healing to you.
                      Trooper age 12. Meds: Thyroxin .45 twice per day. Diabetes diagnosed Sept 2013. Starting Humulin dose 6 units 2 x day, now at 7u. Food: Home cooked chicken/turkey and veggies. Eggs/cottage cheese/salmon on occasion

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
                        Otis Farrell July 24, 1999 - October 4, 2013 † R.I.P.

Otis passed away peacefully in his dad's loving arms at 5:30 CDT today.

This battle was one we couldn't win. Thanks to all of you, it wasn't diabetes which claimed Otis, but congestive heart failure.

I'll fill you in with the details in the next few days. Right now, I'm devastated by the loss of my best friend.

Again, thanks to all!

Thank you all for your warm and heartfelt condolences. It means a lot to me that Otis left such a good impression with you.

My little guy was a fighter, and stayed that way till the end. I had hoped we'd have several more years together, but that was not to be. This congestive heart failure hit my Otis very fast and very hard, leaving little that could be done other than making him comfortable. My brave little guy was fighting
                        battles on too many fronts ... his diabetes, chronic sinus infections, severe arthritis, and coping with his blindness. This one could not be overcome.

I felt as if I'd been blindsided Friday. Not in my wildest dreams did I see this coming. Given O's history with ear problems, it seemed that was the issue when I dropped him off for the doc to look at him on Friday.

One of my neighbors, his Auntie Brenda, whose Westies were Otis' best walking buddies, went with me to the doctor's so she could say good bye. We spent a good amount of time with O before the doctor came in. He was having a hard time breathing and had been given a sedative so he would be comfortable.

Friday turned out to be about the saddest and hardest day of my life. I'd been fearing this day for many months, being constantly reminded of our fur buddies' mortality and fragility by the forum members who have crossed our path during his almost 3 years as a member here.

No one, nor any thing has been closer to me, or meant more to me than my Otis has for the past 14 years. I suppose I could take some consolation in knowing if the experience and relationship I had with Otis wasn't so darned good I wouldn't feel as bad as I do. But, I guess that's the price we pay for the deep and wonderful relationships we've had.

My house seems very empty now and I catch myself looking for him in his favorite spots when I get up to go to another room. I suppose I'll pack up his stuff in the next few days.

In any event, I wanted to share a poem and a video I came across which has really stoked some feelings in me the past two days. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

The Last Battle

====================
                        The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
                        And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then will you do what must be done,
                        For this, the last battle, can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,
                        But don't let grief then stay your hand.
                        For on this day, more than the rest,
                        Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years, you wouldn't want me to suffer so
                        When the time comes,
                        please let me go.
                        Take me to where my needs they'll tend,
                        Only, stay with me till the end.
                        And hold me firm and speak to me
                        Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
                        It is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail it's last has waved,
                        From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you
                        Who has to decide this thing to do.

We've been so close, we two, these years,
                        Don't let your heart hold any tears.

I'll never forget one minute we spent,
                        Of loving and laughing, of places we went.

And I dread the day that your scent disappears,
                        For it reminds me, Otis, that you were just here!

But one day will come, when we'll start to see through,
                        The pain of the moment, and remember just "you".
                        Now you go and play, and look down when you can,
                        Remembering I love you, and this isn't the end ...

author unknown
                        Last edited by farrwf; 12-18-2014, 12:05 PM.
                        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Such a beautiful poem. I've read it several times before and every time it pulls at my heart. You've been in my thoughts as I know the days ahead will be difficult for you. Looks like you started your journey with O at five weeks old - when he was just a wee little baby. You were both blessed to have 14 years together. Having said that, even when you know they are in a better place, it does not ease the loss you feel in your heart. Hugs to you.
                          Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Beautiful Bill. I had to stop the video with tears threatening for now.

So glad Brenda was able to go with you and say goodbye. I imagine the quiet house will take some getting used to. I looked for Ali's eyes to follow me long after she was gone. They leave such a keep impression on our hearts.

-P
                            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Bill,

When I logged on today, to only find that we lost the Big O, I just could not believe it. He was such a fighter, and with you by his side... It would seem you would have him for many many more years. They leave a HUGE hole in our hearts.

Barb
                              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

I took some time yesterday to go through your wonderful album Bill.

Otis always looked just a little disgruntled - camera shy?

Such precious pictures of him as a wee baby and on into his senior years...

My husband told our dog Jack last night that he would really appreciate it if Jack could find it in his heart to outlive my husband, who is not sure he can go through losing such a treasured friend again since he's still not recovered from the last one...

The price we pay for giving so fully of ourselves to these sweet creatures, who give so fully to us.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X