Annie & Craig - Getting too smart!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Thanks Craig! Guess I couldn't read the small print!
    Mel
    Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

I haven't posted a general update on Annie for a while. She had a routine (6 month) eye check on 7-18 and discovered she again had high eye pressure. Think it was 30ish. The vet changed her eye drop: off Dorzolamide / Timolol and restarted Latanoprost. Her normal dosage of Novolin-N had been 8 units in the morning, and 8.25 units in the evening to keep her mostly in the 90-225 range. Within a day or two of starting the new eye drop I noticed her blood glucose readings were getting too low and I had to intervene with honey & snacks. I've had to reduce her dosage in 1/4 unit steps and we are now at 7 units AM / 7.25 units PM to keep her in a safer range. Don't know if her eye pressure has dropped and that has required the lower dose of insulin, or if the reduction is a result of the different eye drop. Probably both.

Anyway, this is another reason for home blood testing. If I had not been testing after the switch in eye drops, her blood glucose probably would have gone way too low.

Other than the change in eye drop, she has been staying out of trouble

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Good catch Craig...but then how could anything slip by you the tester of all testers.

So sorry you and even more so Annie have to deal with this pesky eye pressure issue. I imagine if her pain is reduced with the new drops that could lower her insulin needs.

Tara
        Tara in honor of Ruby.
        She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
        Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the change in pressure, but hopefully with the changes things will even out. Luckily she has you keeping an eye on things!
          Emily & Elliot
          Elliot is a 25 lb. min. schnauzer, 10 yrs. old, dx 3/2013. dx Cataracts 8/2013 resulting in loss of sight. AlphaTrak 2 Meter with Freestyle Lite strips. Hills W/D glucose management kibble with add ins of poached chicken and Beneful soft food.

Comment

yes Craig good catch but i am sure you expected it

i also agree with your hypothesis .

what we will do to keep our pups safe and more than happy to do it .
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Glad the pressure has dropped Craig. I'm sure that must feel better to her as well. Glad you test!
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

What a little stinker! She's just keeping you on your toes you know! Hope everything evens out soon!
                Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Whew.. goes to show that anything can affect their BG. Annie certainly keeps you on your toes, that is for sure.

Barb
                  Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Glad you caught it - but we would all expect nothing less of the resident meter and testing guru!

A quick question from my own ignorance - Eddie can't see due to retinal problems unrelated to diabetes. I don't therefore really worry about cataracts on the basis that they would probably not change his vision or lack of it. Is the pressure problem something which flows from cataracts, or is it a separate (diabetic) issue and therefore something I should be getting him checked for? He hasn't seen an eye doctor for several years because there is nothing that could be done and no progression.
                    Thanks
                    Antonia
                    Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Hi Antonia, I believe the pressure problem most often flows from Glaucoma, not sure if it needs to be preceded by cataracts. It can be pretty painful and you would probably be seeing signs of discomfort if Eddie was having a problem with it.

I lived in fear of it with Ruby, but she never had pressure.

Tara
                      Tara in honor of Ruby.
                      She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                      Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

i'm glad i overcame my issues with home testing and it's so true, anything could change their bg.

may i ask how i would notice if zulu was having eye pressure issues? i know what a cataract looks like. i worry about the nerve stuff tho.

thanks.
                        ~zulu~
                        scottish terrier. 8 years old. diagnosed 3/22/13. 8.5units twice a day N. and hills diabetic dry food/scoop of RC wet diabetic wet food/sprinkled with blue mtn limited ingredient.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                          A quick question from my own ignorance - Eddie can't see due to retinal problems unrelated to diabetes. I don't therefore really worry about cataracts on the basis that they would probably not change his vision or lack of it. Is the pressure problem something which flows from cataracts, or is it a separate (diabetic) issue and therefore something I should be getting him checked for? He hasn't seen an eye doctor for several years because there is nothing that could be done and no progression.
                          Thanks
                          Antonia
                          I really don't know. She has had bouts of high eye pressure for a couple of years, during and after her cataract and glaucoma treatment. Annie is also blind. I've been taking her in to the eye doc because she has a history of eye problems, even after going blind.

Craig
                          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by slopeside View Post
                            i'm glad i overcame my issues with home testing and it's so true, anything could change their bg.

may i ask how i would notice if zulu was having eye pressure issues? i know what a cataract looks like. i worry about the nerve stuff tho.

thanks.
                            The "whites" of her eye had been a little pink, but I don't know if this is an indicator or not. She didn't do any scratching around the eye, or appeared in any discomfort. The vet has that "thingy" that blows a bit of air into the eye, think thats the test for eye pressure.

Annie had cataracts removed several years ago, then had glaucoma come-on overnight last year and went blind within a few days of unsuccessful surgery. She's been getting routine eye checks every 3-6 months since the cataracts (gotta help pay the mortgage of the eye vet's Maui condo).

Craig

Comment

Thanks for explaining that - very helpful.
                              Antonia
                              Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                                OK, everyone can blame Barb for me listing all this AlphaTrak2 (AT2) / FreeStyle Lite (FSL) info! I want to emphasize that the FSL strips are the newer version that mentions the FreeStyle FREEDOM Lite on the box. FSL35 means the AlphaTrak2 was coded to 35. FSL7 means the AlphaTrak2 was coded to 7. (I ignored the code 11 that was marked on the FSL strip container, besides the AT2 meter doesn't have a code 11! Skips from 10 to 12)

AT=95, FSL35=120, FSL7=83
                                AT=261, FSL35=265, FSL7=234
                                AT=349, FSL35=352, FSL7=347
                                AT=221, FSL35=221, FSL7=182
                                AT=97, FSL35=95, FSL7=88
                                AT=269, FSL35=292
                                AT=158, FSL35=155
                                AT=164, FSL35=165
                                AT=269, FSL35=260

The above tests were taken over several days. Although FSL7 was closer to the AT reading once or twice, setting to 35 seems to be closer more often, plus keeping the meter set to 35 prevents me from forgetting to switch the code back to 35 if I use a true AT strip (assuming the AT strips are going to be 35 into the future).

The third test (AT=349...) was high on purpose! Someone had asked if the strips read close to each other at higher numbers, or only in the lower range. I gave Annie a treat a couple of hours prior to this test to see how the strips would read on higher blood glucose. She enjoyed the treat and was back down to AT=221 the next morning.

Craig
                                Hi Craig,

I apologize if this is obvious (above), but I am getting ready to purchase the FS Lite strips and I don't want to make any mistakes and would appreciate your clarification.

So, just to be clear...my AT2 meter is currently set to 36 (with the AT2 strips). When I start using the FSL Freedom strips, I should change the code on my AT2 meter to 35 (as long as the code on the box of FSL Freedom bottle is coded as a 35)?

And, what if it is coded differently, do I change the AT2 to that code? Are all FSL Freedom strips coded 35, or are bottles coded differently?

Thank you in advance,
                                Eileen
                                Scooter, Born 1/12/2003, passed away 8/2013~10 lb Maltese, dx 3/2010, lived a happy life.

Comment

Working...
                                X