No announcement yet.

Annie & Craig - Getting too smart!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annie & Craig - Getting too smart!

That pork butt should yield some great pulled pork BBQ sammiches, ... the brisket too!! Yummies. EVERYONE needs a little taste.
    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
      That pork butt should yield some great pulled pork BBQ sammiches, ... the brisket too!! Yummies. EVERYONE needs a little taste.
      The family picnic was a success. All the pups would have given the brisket a thumbs-up, if they had thumbs.

My "problem" is that at 72 years old I could only manage one pulled pork sandwich and two slices of brisket. 19 hours in the smoker is getting to be too long! Of course everyone had a doggy bag to take home.

Annie didn't participate in the fun. She was warn out getting groomed earlier in the day. My son's Boxer, Cooper, was his typical clown self and had us all laughing. I've added a photo of Cooper to my photo library.

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Cooper looks like a big boy!
        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Cooper is a handsome goofball!
          Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Good to see reports still coming on Annie!
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Another food change for Annie!

She still likes the FreshPet (refrigerated tubes), but was picking out the added kibble and scattering them throughout the kitchen area. There's 3-4 varieties of FreshPet that I'm cycling through. I think the kcals per cup are close, so no modification to the insulin dose.

I'm now adding HonestKitchen dehydrated. There are several varieties and I'm choosing the ones that are labeled for adult-senior dogs and not the ones labeled for puppies and adult. The ones I'm selecting (adult) are slightly higher in fiber, and lower in protein. Honest Kitchen, being dehydrated, needs to be mixed with warm water for a couple of minutes: comes out a little like oatmeal / grits in consistency, and a very green color? She's been on this for two weeks and has cleaned her bowl, except when I try to sneak a few pieces of kibble into the mix (have ½ bag of kibble that I'm trying to get her to finish!).
              https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/verve

Craig
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Ingredients look yummy!
                Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

wow craig your amazing what you do for that wonderful girl
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

It is wonderful that you and Annie are going strong.

Abby loved Honest Kitchen, I seem to remember, we used Zeal and Embark. I continued adding Honest Kitchen to Duncan routine, but he was not a fan of all of the varieties, so I use Preference or Kindly and add different proteins.
                    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Yikes! 69 blood glucose reading at +5 hours.

Annie has had a "mountain" shaped curve for years. This is when the blood glucose rises for about 6 hours, and then comes down and the lowest reading is at, or just before, the next meal / injection. I've made changes in her meals before and the curve remained the mountain shape, so I generally test before meals and just assume the blood glucose will increase after the meal.

We were bored yesterday afternoon and tested at +5 hours and was shocked to see a 69. I fed a small meal and let her go until the regular dinner time where she tested a typical 150ish. I reduced her dosage by ½ unit, and slightly increased the size of her dinner. I failed to test before bed, but she tested at 135 at breakfast this morning. I reduced her morning insulin another ½ unit (from 8 to 7 units (total decrease)). Surprised when I did a test at +5 hours and she tested 70! Dropped about 10-12 pieces of kibble into her bowl that she ate right away, so I doubt her blood glucose will drop any more.

Fun times ahead. Glad I have several boxes of test strips on hand!

Guess the new diet makes a difference !

Craig

Comment

They do seem to like to keep us on our toes! About the time we get all comfy with where Vinny is, BAM! He throws us a curve just to see if we're paying attention! 😉 Sounds like Annie is doing the same to you! Gotta love them!

Good luck finding that 'sweet spot' again!
                        Mel and her stinker Vinny
                        Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Things can get a little crazy with these seniors, huh? We got some crazy highs with Chris when he was quite old - showed up out of nowhere and gone just as quickly.

Hope Annie's feeling well.

Natalie

Comment

Hate to report that Annie has an appointment with the vet later this morning to help her cross the rainbow bridge. We could live with blindness and being deaf, but the dementia and two recent seizures were just too much. She had a seizure yesterday morning and had a terrible day / night. Linda, and our son (vet tech), thought she was "ready" months ago, but I had problems giving up on my buddy. Yesterday's seizure, and aftermath, convinced me the time has come. By the way, I don't think the seizures were directly diabetic related, she tested 139 at the end of the seizure, and tested in the 125-200 range after the other episodes.

Craig
                            Last edited by CraigM; 09-05-2017, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Oh craig,
                              I am so sorry to hear it is Annies time..my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. ..
                              Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Craig... So sorry to hear about Annie. You've done a wonderful job caring for her. She is quite a character and will be missed.

Mike and Lily
                                Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                                Diabetes: Aug 2013
                                Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                                Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Working...
                                X