Poll: How and Where you test your dog's blood sugar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: How and Where you test your dog's blood sugar

If I may, suggest a Sticky please, as a noob to the dog diabetes forum, the sticky being types of Glucose Meters used, which would encompass the type of Lancing device used, where the best place is to take the blood from and finally the setting (number) used on the Lancing device on the area it is taken from.

Poll: How and Where You Test Your Dog's Blood Sugar

I think a thread on lances, lancing devices used and setting, meters used, and where tested would be good.

Just keep in mind that it won't tell you what will work for Penny. What works varies significantly from one dog to another.

There are some general things that can be said, such as thicker lancets usually work better and certain meters have established a reputation as working well generally.

I would ask people to simply report their experiences for what works for them rather than "recommending" anything in particular.

I try to keep Sticky threads to a minimum only because it pushes active threads about specific dogs so far down the list. But I think the testing thread could be useful.

So, all, if you'd like, go ahead and respond to this thread to describe what you use and how you test blood sugar with your dog.

Maybe start with just the facts in a simple list so it's easy to scan:

Where you test on your dog
    Lances used (brand, gauge)
    Whether you use a lancing device
    Lancing device brand, model
    Setting of the lancing device
    Meter you use

Some things are interdependent. For example, lancing devices don't always work when testing thicker skin like the back at the base of the tail. And different spots on the body would likely require different settings on a lancing device.

Please take time especially to report the gauge of your lances and brand and the lancing device brand.

Thanks!

Natalie

Comment

Re: Poll: How and Where you test your dog's blood sugar

I test on the carpal pads
      using relion lancing device, set on 4 (highest setting)
      I use 26 guage lancets
      Relion confirm meter
      Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

We test on the tail
        Use 28 gauge lancets - Freestyle Lite
        Freestyle Lite lancing device - Setting #4
        One Touch Ultra Meter
        Danielle and Ollie - 10.5 yo Silky Terrier May 17, 2003 - February 15, 2014. diagnosed Dec 28, 2012. See you on the other side Baby Bear.

Comment

And, if you've lost your diabetic dog, as I have, please post with what you used.

Where you test on your dog: upper inside lip

Lances used (brand, gauge): Accuchek Softclix - gauge isn't on the box but online it says they are 28 gauge. https://www.accu-chek.com/us/lancing.../softclix.html

Whether you use a lancing device: Yes

Lancing device brand, model: Accuchek Softclix, Multiclix is similar but preferred Softclix

Setting of the lancing device: 4-4.5

Meter you use: OneTouch Ultra - very close readings, within about 40 points of actual.

Comment

well, this was easy, I can just copy Natalie's answer

Where you test on your dog: upper inside lip

Lances used (brand, gauge): Accuchek Softclix

Lancing device brand, model: Accuchek Softclix

Setting of the lancing device: 5

Meter you use: OneTouch Ultra - very close readings, within about 30 points of actual.

If I don't poke near her canine tooth, I don't get blood. If I let her have a small bite of freeze dried liver that helps to stimulate the blood.
            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Where you test on your dog: Shaved areas near base of tail
              Lances used (brand, gauge): Relion 26g
              Whether you use a lancing device: No, just hand poke. It helps to keep the area shaved down to skin, and to warm the area before lancing.

When I test our non-diabetic dog:
              Where you test on your dog: Inner lip
              Lances used (brand, gauge): Accu-chek Softclix 28G
              Lancing device brand/model and setting: Accuchek Softclix lancing device on the deepest setting (5 on mine, but I think the newer ones go higher).

Meter used: AlphaTrak 2 or One Touch Ultra 2
              Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Where you test...I test on the inner lip. To further that I have found if you dry the area first with a paper towel it makes holding the lip up easier and not so slippery.

Lancing device brand, model...I do not use a lancing device I just make the punch/poke with the lancet by hand.

Lances/lancets used.... Any brand with a gauge of 26 or 28. Prefer the 26 gauge.

Meter...Relion Confirm. Runs about 30 points low of actual.
                Last edited by harleychik66; 11-12-2013, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Test location: Test on the ear

Lancing device: Think the lancing device is from the AlphaTrak kit, but not sure. Set to 4 (deepest). Didn't use a device for several years, just held the lancet and poked.

Lancet size: Been using 25 gauge for last several years (had to order because they aren't carried locally). Have also used 26 gauge, probably not much difference between 26 & 25.

Meter: Too many to count (7). Seem to rotate around the Walmart Relion Prime (low cost strips), AlphaTrak2 (most accurate, but $$$$ strips) and One Touch Ultra2 (reads close to the AlphaTrak for about ½ the price). Possible problem with the One Touch Ultra for new diabetics is that it requires the largest blood droplet. Meters & strips, with the exception of the Walmart Relion brands, are usually MUCH less expensive online than at local stores.
                  Last edited by CraigM; 11-12-2013, 01:32 PM.
                  Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

we test on the inner lip inline with the canine tooth

the lancing device is the relion brand but have used the onetouch with success but the spring was failing . we have used many more and they all work some better than others . usually use close to maximum setting

thin lances work fine for jesses lip

the meter we are currently using is the prodigy auto code but have used true trak, relion brand , one touch ultra and the nova max . they all worked well as far as consistency .
                    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I did test alternating right side and left at the base of the tail shaved the area first
                      Now I test on inner lip rotating am right pm left side
                      Use whatever 29 guage lancets on sale, no device
                      Use one touch ultra 2, batteries cr2032 x 2
                      Waiting for my alphatrack track from american diabetes wharehouse on sale with code $60
                      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Where you test on your dog: elbow callus, left and right leg

Lances used (brand, gauge): BD ULtra-Fine 11, 30 gauge

Whether you use a lancing device: No

Lancing device brand, I hand hold the lancet to poke

Meter you use: OneTouch Ultra -

Jake
                        13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                        At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Where you test on your dog: upper inside lip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN-OHfHUmjc

Lances used (brand, gauge): Accuchek Softclix (gauge isn't on the box but online it says they are 28 gauge). https://www.accu-chek.com/us/lancing.../softclix.html

Whether you use a lancing device: Yes, but I didn't Ali's first year with diabetes. I just hand poked the lancet.

Lancing device brand, model: Accuchek Softclix. (My spring went bad after about 2 years and the company stood behind their product and sent me a new one for free)

Setting of the lancing device: 2.5

Meter you use: OneTouch UltraSmart - readings consistently about 28 points low at numbers 79 and lower, readings about 47 points low at 80 and above.

Other meters used: Freestyle Lite, AlphaTrak, OneTouch Mini, Relion Confirm. I used the Mini on occasion for travel and it was very close to my UltraSmart. I preferred my OT UltraSmart as it was consistent for me and I could see the blood drawn into the strip.
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Where we test: Ear
                            Lancets used: relion 26 guage
                            lancing device: Yes
                            Lancing device brand, model: Relion
                            Setting of the lancing device: 3-4
                            Meter: Alpha trak
                            Max was born on May 5, 2005 and he is a 22 pound Schnauzer/Poodle Mix. Max was diagnosed with diabetes on March 12, 2013.
                            He takes Novolin N.

Comment

Lip alternating sides
                              Lancing device
                              Relion
                              Setting 2-3
                              Meter(s): Relion Confirm, Prime and Alphatrak
                              Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Working...
                              X