Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Monster Vinny

Eddie...I don't think he is getting enough food. We've replaced what we were giving him at mealtimes with less and no treats throughout the day. That sounds like less to me! I called the vet, but haven't heard back yet...I'll give them another 15 minutes, then I'll call back. I'm not afraid to be a pain in someone's backside!

Margaret...I watched the video's linked here http://www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html It doesn't seem so hard after watching all the different places...even the lip! I also read that they don't really have any feeling in their ear http://www.caninediabetes.org/pdorg/dog_ear_stick.htm, so that might be too bad.

I haven't mentioned that Vinny is just a chicken in dog's clothing, so where ever I do this, it will have to be quick and painless...and anxiety-free! He really should have feathers!

Mel
    Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

I have found that in the end we know our dog a lot better than the vet (obviously!) and although I always let the vet know what I am doing, I don't always do exactly what he suggests and I do tend to contemplate it in the light of the experience of people on here.
      So I suppose what I am saying in a roundabout way is that in your case I would follow my instincts on feeding and give him a bit more.
      If you can do the home testing then that will help tremendously and make you feel a lot less helpless because you can get good information from it. I was wary and scared of doing it but I am so glad I did. I use the lip (which I thought I never would do!) and Eddie truly doesn't mind. In fact if I get the test kit out and then get distracted, Eddie comes and paws at me to get on with it because he wants the treat which always follows a test!
      I started with just curling his lip up[ and dabbing it with a tissue (to dry it off), then poked at it with my finger and gradually built up to actually pricking it with the lancet. He got a treat after every time I did anything and he really enjoyed it and is now completely relaxed about it.
      Hope the vet is helpful!
      Antonia
      Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

So I guess I've bugged them enough about this hunger thing (Friday and today...twice) that the vet wants to do a BG on Vinny today. Another reason to home test I'm guessing!

Boy, I don't think our vet is ready for me! John is more laid back, taking what Dr's tell him...I am definitely not! I have read so much on this site and other's, taken notes...I do my research!
        Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Well done!
          Our vet had never had clients who took so many charts and lists of info in to see him before (and questions!)- but now he's got used to it and really appreciates our efforts. Last time the vet even asked us how we home test as they had another client who they thought should be doing it as well.

Hope it's a useful appointment.
          Antonia
          Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

most of us on the forum want to give the best care that we can for our pups and with diabetes most of the work is done at home .

this is one disease that can be managed at home and the more effort the better the outcome .

i think we all have a bit of mad scientist in us and we dont give up very easily .
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by Monsters Momma View Post
              the vet wants to do a BG on Vinny today. Another reason to home test I'm guessing!
              Remember, a single test doesn't tell a whole lot, just what the BG was at that moment. Could be much higher / lower at other times. That's what makes home testing so helpful. You might ask what meter / procedure he uses.

Craig
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                i think we all have a bit of mad scientist in us and we dont give up very easily .
                I love this!

Comment

Ok, so here's the update...

Vinny's BG at the vet was 173, 90 minutes before his next meal/insulin!! I was shocked and pleased! So was our vet! Then my questions began...

Food...yes, we can add some green beans, chicken etc. to a meal or give as a snack in between when we're home during the day. He didn't see this as a problem...Vinny had gained 2 lbs., probably due to the pizza, cat food, etc. that he had been helping himself to.

Our vet is old school so it didn't surprise me when he said he didn't think home testing was necessary...but he also wasn't too concerned about doing a curve. He said we could, but wanted to wait a couple of weeks with me adjusting the food. I bought a meter and will do a curve this weekend just to see what his numbers are.

I asked about buying insulin online and would he give me a prescription for it...he would, but then he said, "Why don't you give me the information you found online and we'll see if we can match the price? I'd rather you get it from me so we can keep track of things." I'm liking my vet!

I was going to ask if Vetsulin was the right insulin...we did talk about it being off the market for awhile, but after what Vinny's numbers were, I didn't ask!

We talked about a couple other things I had read and I told him I do a lot of research. I told him that was all the questions I had...for now. He told me I was well prepared...I said "You have no idea!"

I did get a ReliOn meter, but the lancets that came with the clicker were 30ga (they carry the 26ga, but were out) and didn't even pierce the skin! I actually wanted to get a reading to compare with the vet's once we got home and Vinny was very patient with me poking a couple of places including his lip! After all, we were giving him green beans as a treat for letting us poke and prod him! Oh well...I'll check the Wal-Mart near us for the 26ga today.

Thanks for all the info...I would not have been so 'smart' today had it not been for this site!!
                  Mel

Comment

So glad to hear that things are improving! I know how relieving that feeling is

I just started doing at home curves with Elliot last month and I found that doing them over several consecutive days gave me a lot more info than doing them occasionally. I plotted them on a graph (homemade) so I could actually "see" the peaks and valleys. I plan to take them all to my vet for our next question and answer session

Regarding Vetsulin (which is what I am using)...Elliot was originally prescribed human insulin which we tried for 2 months and his curves showed very little effect. Did your vet start him out on something else originally that wasn't successful? I only ask because I noticed a huge price increased when we started Vetsulin, plus I can't get it locally...which is a bummer.
                    Emily & Elliot
                    Elliot is a 25 lb. min. schnauzer, 10 yrs. old, dx 3/2013. dx Cataracts 8/2013 resulting in loss of sight. AlphaTrak 2 Meter with Freestyle Lite strips. Hills W/D glucose management kibble with add ins of poached chicken and Beneful soft food.

Comment

That sounds quite positive but remember that you can't tell a lot from a single spot check on BG.
                      It's a really good idea to do a curve yourself at the weekend as it will start to give you much better information. Using the lip isn't as bad as it sounds is it!
                      I find with my lancet device I have to be careful to make sure that the needle actually pokes out beyond the plastic. At first I pushed it in too far so it didn't even reach Eddie's skin. I just mention that in case it is happening with yours.
                      It is so helpful to be able to tell what is going on and how his BG levels move around before /after food and exercise.
                      On food, I am fairly relaxed about giving a bit of extra food or suitable treat if Eddie seems hungry, but I know others on the forum find their dogs are very sensitive to anything extra. It may be that you can get away with a bit more with a bigger dog where a bit of extra food is proportionately less than for a small dog. I also always bear in mind that it is on the whole safer for them to be a bit high than a bit low.
                      Sometimes Eddie has asked for extra food and I have found that his BG has dropped quite low - may be a coincidence or he may feel a need to eat.
                      Antonia

Comment

Sounds like your vet is willing to work with you. That's great. I am glad you asked about a curve. Will be nice to compare your meter when you are able to get readings.

If you can't get the 26g off the shelf at Walmart, you might ask them to order them for you. They should be able to look them up in the computer system and place an order. If Vinny doesn't mind the lip stick, the AccuChek softclix might be another option to try.
                        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Oh, I did forget...John and I both tested the clicker set on the deepest penetration. (I like to see what I'm up against with things like this. I used to taste all my daughters medicine before I gave it to her when she was little...just to know if I was in for a fight! ) We got blood from our fingers, but I wonder if it's deep enough for Vinny. I mean, I barely felt it, but then it was 30ga.

Comment

I got my ReliOn meter at Walmart today. There were no 26 g lancets on the shelf so I ask at the pharmacy counter and they had them back there. Glad I asked. Maybe you could call all the local Walmarts and see if any have them in stock. Good luck.

Margaret
                            Margaret; Teddy is a 10 year old 40 lb. cockapoo; relion-Novolin-N 2x - 17 units; Natural balance fish and sweet potato; blind from cataracts and glaucoma

Comment

Lancets are probably the cheapest item we use, so i wouldn't necessary drive more than a mile out of my way to go to a Walmart Probably not much more at Target, Walgreens, etc.

Craig
                              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

So Margaret...you and I are on the same schedule! It's funny, I seem to be surrounded by Wal-Marts around here so it's really not out of the way to go to a different one. I called around and found them at one I pass on the way home without much trouble, so I'll stop today.

Craig (and others)...I really am leaning toward splurging on an AlphaTrak and here's why: Yesterday when I took Vinny in, they used a needle to draw blood from his leg, while being held down. He was not too happy and neither was I after realizing what was going on! The tech then dropped the blood on the test strip and used the AlphaTrak to determine his BG level. I could have done that at home without the stress, not to mention the cost! A couple of visits like that and it would be paid for! I feel silly, because I just bought the ReliOn...talk me down from this ledge!

Comment

Working...
                                X