No announcement yet.

Lucy, our rescued cattle dog, is an angel... April 21, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lucie has a foster home!! Yes!! Thank you Rick!!

I shipped Rick a box of U40 syringes and of ketodiastix today and there is an arrangement for a good price on Vetsulin that a member of the Cushings board is donating plus offers to cover the cost of her spay operation.

Once we have more details, there may be additional items. I think she will need some additional veterinary care for her diabetes, especially if this turns out to be related to her heat cycles. And food - lots of food!

I'm hopeful from what Rick has said about her temperament that he will be able to home test blood glucose...

Anyone have a meter with strips they'd be willing to donate? I have Rick's mailing address. Let me know if you're interested.

Natalie

Comment

Well, as I said over at the Cushing's board ...

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so relieved to hear that Lucie is in her foster home with Rick. Now it's on to taking care of her, which will include veterinary care, getting her diabetes regulated etc and then finding her a permanent home.

Thanks to all who have helped Lucie so far in whatever way they have been able to help and also to all those who will be continuing to help until Lucie is settled in a permanent loving home.

Comment

This whole post has brought tears to my eyes, I am so happy Lucie is in your hands, if she's helping with the livestock already thats great.

Her coloring is like my Niki's, she's border collie and heeler so she has that salt and pepper coat.
        Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Lucie is adorable!
          Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Natalie
            How long do strips last? I have some type of meter and tons of strips that belonged to my father-in-law but they are at least 3 to 4 years old. Well that is if my husband did not throw them out. I will have to ask him in the morning. I was just going thru a cupboard about a week ago and decided to get rid of them but they may still be here in the house.

Sorry I have only glanced at the board now and again lately or I would have responded early. I can send a small donation or mail these strips if they would be of any help.

Monkey is doing fine! Hope your new guy is nice and settled by now.

Comment

Lucie sure is gorgeous!

Betty, let me see how things develop. I'm in touch with Rick and Lucie needs some evaluation so we know what to do next. Rick is also a short-term foster home and there are still serious efforts underway to find her a permanent home or a long-term foster home.

Apparently Lucie spilled the beans... literally LOL:

and has a bit of mountaineer in her!

She's doing great - have a read: http://www.caninecushings.net/forums...?t=8335&page=4

Comment

Did Lucy's first test with the Keto-Diastyx at 4:30PM.

She had no problem with my putting the stick into the stream so I anticipate that this will not be hard.

And I am an idiot. I reversed the timing. I caught the mistake but can't be really sure about the glucose (30 seconds)

Good news, Ketones negative.

Glucose was between 500-1000 BUT I may have waited longer than 30 seconds. I DO know it was 500 at 15 seconds.

I may have created a monster. I treated her for letting me ummm... "sample" and after I put the sticks away we all went back out for some more fetch. She ran over to me, squatted & peed again!

Maybe this is gonna be REALLY easy when she associates peeing with a treat! I just hope she doesn't get the idea that it will work indoors.

She actually joined my two dogs in play this evening. Not much. Ran around a bit, but she's getting bolder with each session. Tail & ears are up!

She is seeing my vet Tuesday.

Rick
                Last edited by Fishslayer; 01-09-2009, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Hi Rick! Welcome!

As you can see, there are a few of us who bop back and forth between the cushings message board and Natalie's message board for dogs with diabetes, including Natalie.

Lucie sounds like such a sweet girl, and she is really pretty, too!

P.S. Is it just me or maybe the way the photo was taken, or does she really have a little piece of her right ear missing?

Oh, and anytime you want to post more pictures of Lucie, please do! I love looking at her.

Comment

Originally posted by acushdogsmom View Post
                    Hi Rick! Welcome!

P.S. Is it just me or maybe the way the photo was taken, or does she really have a little piece of her right ear missing?

Oh, and anytime you want to post more pictures of Lucie, please do! I love looking at her.
                    Thank you for the welcome.

Yep, Lucy is missing a bit of ear and a bit of her left thigh from a dog attack. She also survived the Paradise fire. Got singed but survived. She's been through a lot!

Rick

Comment

Hi Rick, I am so happy for Lucie and that you adopted her.

You may already have this info but in case you don't, glucose can show up in a diabetic pet's urine.

Best way to test is to to let Lucie go and relieve herself, then test the 2nd outing. Or take her out 1/2 hour after the prev. urinating.

reasoning is the urine is stored in the bladder for hours, so that 1st test can be off, so if you can make her go a 2nd time in an hour or so, you may see a difference.

It may take a iittle time with the insulin etc for her urine to show better results, what you are seeing can happen.

A glucose meter is best way to go, I'll let Nat or Kath explain this if they have not already done so.
                      Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Thanks for that. She was awake at 12:30AM so I let all the dogs out.

She was REALLY thirsty & when I tested her pee it was 2000. Didn't know if I should panic or not. She ate at 7:00 & has been in her crate since about 9:00. I'll test her again in the AM.

She has a vet appointment Tues. At what point should I consider high glucose an emergency?

I believe a blood glucose meter is in the works.

Rick

Originally posted by eyelostit View Post
                        Hi Rick, I am so happy for Lucie and that you adopted her.

You may already have this info but in case you don't, glucose can show up in a diabetic pet's urine.

Best way to test is to to let Lucie go and relieve herself, then test the 2nd outing. Or take her out 1/2 hour after the prev. urinating.

reasoning is the urine is stored in the bladder for hours, so that 1st test can be off, so if you can make her go a 2nd time in an hour or so, you may see a difference.

It may take a iittle time with the insulin etc for her urine to show better results, what you are seeing can happen.

A glucose meter is best way to go, I'll let Nat or Kath explain this if they have not already done so.

Comment

When my sticks indicated 2000 for Forbin and I took him to the vet it was actually in the 500s which is really high but its not 2000 I didn't find them reliable at all for BG so I bought a monitor. It's real peace of mind.
                          Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

The main critical problem with high blood sugar is ketoacidosis, which is why I sent you the ketodiastix so you can monitor that. But we also don't want her to stay at high blood sugar either. So I think her insulin regimen will need tweaking. Sounds like 7 units isn't covering it.

The other main consequence that's likely is blindness. Diabetes in dogs tends to fairly rapidly cause cataracts. They don't always happen and good blood sugar control doesn't always keep them away. But the best chance of saving her sight is to get her well regulated as quickly as possible.

The fructosamine test - please do have your vet do one - will tell us whether she's ever getting down into better glucose levels.

And then I will expedite the meter as it seems like Lucie is a good candidate for home testing blood sugar.

She sure has been through a lot in her life...

I'm encouraged also that there are some prospects out there for a permanent home!

Anyone they look at as an adopter should just assume that she will need two injections daily for the rest of her life and that she might very well lose her vision - that can be restored with cataract surgery, but it is very expensive and there is a complication rate of around 10-15% where they wind up losing the eye anyway. So for many adoptive families cataract surgery financially might not be an option.

That way, as Cushy mentioned in an email earlier, for the adopting family if the diabetes goes away or she never develops cataracts, it's a bonus. But best for them to be prepared to take on both issues. This was done with Shiner, the last diabetic dog I monitored to see if he was going to find a home.

You're doing great with Lucie! I'm thrilled that she's so sweet and loving - I was so worried that she wouldn't be as adoptable as they said. It's hard enough finding a home for any dog these days.

Natalie

Comment

Took some photos today

Fructosimine test. OK.

She weighed 28 pounds today by my scale. Up from the 27 pounds on her first weighing a few days ago. Scale at her old vet said 30 pounds.

The Ketones are thankfully all negative. Lucy is active but left alone she kicks back & sleeps or just watches me. She seems to really like her crate time.

After only 4 sessions I think she knows "sit." I upped the ante at her feedings & reward with about half a dozen bits of kibble instead of one. Works mo' bettah, the greedy little pig!

I've also been trying to teach "come." She may understand it & is just ignoring me...

Took these today. Looks like Lucy is becoming part of the pack! She moves beautifully.

She found her voice today, too.

Rick
                              Last edited by Fishslayer; 01-10-2009, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Re: Took some photos today

Shes a lucky happy girl! Bless you Rick
                                Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X